Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel leak through fuel gauge - Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Invisible Kid
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel leak through fuel gauge - Help

I have an '00 FLSTC (carb version)...I removed the fuel tank to have it repainted, and while it was off, I removed the fuel gauge cap to use a lower profile fuel cap instead. I left the fuel float assembly in the tank, but removed the wiring. I disconnected the wires from the dummy fuel gauge cap, pulled them through the underside of the tank, and unplugged them from their connection.

My problem it this...the fuel tank is now reinstalled, but when I filled it up with gas, some fuel is leaking from this small hole where the wires once exited the bottom of the tank (left side of tank - see photo).

Any idea how fuel is leaking from this hole? I thought that this was simply a tube for the wires to travel from the gauge cap, to the electric connection under the tank. Ive checked my manual and there is no mention of this. I do not remember removing any seal or plug either.

Im sure Im missing something simple here? How can fuel come out of this opening now, when it didnt before?

Thanks - Mike

Old 06-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Invisible Kid
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nevermind this post...just solved it myself. Gas is coming up past the fuel sensor bracket at the bottom of the left gas cap. I've either pinched the existing gasket or need to get a new one to replace the old. Gas was coming around the bracket and pouring down the wire "tube" and then on the ground. Only was doing this when at a full tank on the sidestand...DOH.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:29 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Good Job!!!!!