Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floorboards forward?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:22 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Looks like I might have to try the different floorboards for mine too. Thanks for the info guys. What exactly does this kit consist of? New floorboard pans?

Old 06-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Dooderhead
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aviator
the quickest and (maybe) the cheapest way is to install HD # 50409-04 ERGONOMIC OPERATOR FOOTBOARD KIT" ... just HDs way of saying extended floorpans for touring bikes.

they do fit a Fat Boy - they're on my '08. took all of 15 minutes to change.... wouldn't have taken that long, but I couldn't get the rubber insert out of the stockers...... finally used liquid dishwashing detergent (like the instructions said) and they just popped out.

I copied Sonar Chris - from the extended floorpans, the Harley Goodies, extended gear shift lever and an extended brake pedal lever.
TY Aviator! Looks to be the simplest (read: CHEAPEST) solution. I'll have to check at the dealer to see if they can be installed with the outward extensions AND the Kuryakyn Cruise Arms. Tom

Old 06-23-2009, 02:44 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

They can be installed with the goodies and the mark III's, however the concern with the mark III's would be they might get kinda close to the front fender.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:41 PM
Dooderhead
Tourer

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
They can be installed with the goodies and the mark III's, however the concern with the mark III's would be they might get kinda close to the front fender.
Great advice Goodies! I did check the wheel/fender at full turn and have about 5" clearance, so I think it'll work.

Old 06-23-2009, 04:47 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Yeah, it looks like you will be fine. You can always adjust them so they fit too.

Old 06-23-2009, 08:57 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dooderhead
TY Aviator! Looks to be the simplest (read: CHEAPEST) solution. I'll have to check at the dealer to see if they can be installed with the outward extensions AND the Kuryakyn Cruise Arms. Tom
he he he I forgot to add, I also have the Kuryakyn Mark IIIs.... no clearance issues for me.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
Looks like I might have to try the different floorboards for mine too. Thanks for the info guys. What exactly does this kit consist of? New floorboard pans?
yep. just new pans... however, the parts guys will argue that they are for touring bikes only and won't work on a Fat Boy - they did until I had them open the box and we took one of them to the sales floor and held them up to the Fatty. perfect fit.

seems like they were about $60 for the set.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:06 AM
Dooderhead
Tourer

Thanks for all the advice/suggestions guys. I ordered the HD footboard kit yesterday from Hot Rod H-D in Muskegon MI for $59.xx, and should have them by the weekend. We'll see if they do the trick!

Old 06-26-2009, 03:56 PM
Dooderhead
Tourer

Got the new pans today, and once I removed the rubber board, it was obvious it wasn't going to work for me. The holes in the reinforcing plate from the Mark IIIs don't line up like they do on the stock pans.

I thought about just drilling new holes in the plate, but that would mean going through the support brackets on the pans, so that's a non-starter. I could also have tried to move the Mark IIIs backward, but there is a 'hump' on the underside of the pan that's in the way.

Bottom line, the HD 50409-04 ERGONOMIC OPERATOR FOOTBOARD KIT will NOT work WITH Kuryakyn Cruise Arm Mark IIIs. They WILL work without em, but I like the Mark IIIs so I just hope not to get raped by Hot Rod HD when I return the floor pans.

Last edited by Dooderhead; 06-26-2009 at 03:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2009, 04:14 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member

sorry they don't work for you... must have something to do with your bike being an '07 and mine an '08.... guess HD changed the layout of the pans or something???

if you'll go back and read Chris' recount of how he installed them, you will need to drill a couple of holes - but, that's no big deal.

Quick Reply: Floorboards forward?