Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which Fuel Line Can Develop Pin Holes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 09:19 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Which Fuel Line Can Develop Pin Holes?

Is it the fuel line from the fuel filter to the fuel pump that can develop pin holes or is it the fuel line from the regulator to the quick-connect fitting that can develop pin holes?

And do you have to drain the tank completely dry when removing the fuel pump assembly or can you leave a little gas in the tank?
Thanks

Old 06-20-2009, 09:28 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The one that goes to the quick disconnect. Fuel needs to be drained to change this line because the disconnect has to be removed from the tank, hose changed there, reinstalled and then hooked to the regulator. A fuel pressure test will reviel a problem in this line prior to getting the wrenches out. Or the back yard method of turning the key on, pull the pump fuse and wait for 10 seconds. If the engine starts after 10 seconds or more and runs for 2 seconds it's holding pressure and not leaking enough to cause problems. No start = leak. You may get a trouble code showing after doing this, so just clear the code after.
Ron

Old 06-20-2009, 10:34 PM
WARG
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When my hose sprung a leak, I could hear a hissing sound when the fuel pump cycled before I cranked the bike. It was noticably lounder than the normal cycling sound. Sounds like someone was taking a leak in the gas tank. It was more noticable when the fuel level was lower. Luckily I was still under warranty.

Old 06-20-2009, 11:09 PM
priceamp
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Thanks for the quick replies guys.

Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I like the idea of the back yard test. I assume the logic goes like this;

- by turning the key on, you pressurize the fuel line
- by unplugging the pump fuse makes the pump inoperable, ie if the pump is engaged, even a fuel line with a hole, the bike will start
- since the fuel line is pressurized, a fuel line with a hole will leak fuel after 10 seconds or more and the bike won’t start

Old 06-21-2009, 12:51 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Stmplr just had the fuel line in his bike replaced for that.
All he had to do was turn the bike on and it sounded just like an air leak.
What surprised me was how loud it was.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:57 AM
rbabos
Banned

This idiotic fuel line has been a source of problems for years with no improvement from MoCo. Anybody doing their own replacement should find a way to sleeve the area that it rubs and fix it once and for all. Even something as simple as shrink fit tubing will add tons of life or have it last until there's a reason to go into the tank like the filter change. Shrink fit will form around the convoluted sections and maintain flexibility of the hose. Ron

Old 06-21-2009, 07:59 AM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by priceamp
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I like the idea of the back yard test. I assume the logic goes like this;

- by turning the key on, you pressurize the fuel line
- by unplugging the pump fuse makes the pump inoperable, ie if the pump is engaged, even a fuel line with a hole, the bike will start
- since the fuel line is pressurized, a fuel line with a hole will leak fuel after 10 seconds or more and the bike won’t start
Correct.
Ron

Old 06-21-2009, 09:09 AM
dennyo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,059 Likes on 633 Posts

had the same problem with mine .. 01
AND I had to tell the Stealer what was Wrong...

Old 06-21-2009, 01:04 PM
icdred
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with my 02....I found mine by just removing the fuel cap with the vehicle running and you could see a fine mist spashing up out of fuel filler hole.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:50 AM
airroy
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pin Holes in fuel tank lines?

Help..!

This thread sounds just like the problem I am having.

I just picked up an 04 RKCI from a private seller. It had less than 3,000 miles on it. Really clean. It runs great.....except that once in a while, mostly when there is only about a gallon or less left in the tank, it will stall or almost stall then either restarts easily or picks up on its own.

I have reseated every connector, fuse, relay, sensor, that I can find. Still have the problem.

It also happens sometimes when there is a half tank or so and I am really ******* it down like riding behind a slow rider or a slow truck for awhile.

This bike sat in a garage for a few years with very little activity. Do you guys think that there could be an internal gas line leakage / hole problem with so little time on the motor?

PS I have read through this and other threads, I did the fuel pump test where I turned on the ignition, waited a few seconds, pulled the fuel pump fuse, waited at least 15 seconds and the bike started right up and ran for a few seconds.

I have run at least 3 cans of injector cleaner (Sea Foam) and still no difference.

Any opinions or suggestions appreciated.

Quick Reply: Which Fuel Line Can Develop Pin Holes?