Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drinks all round!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 04:10 AM
Springer46
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drinks all round!

On me--new to the group and have a question.
Anyone ever experience a softail that "dog tracks" down the road?

Recently bought used bike a 97 Heritage Springer FLSTS that is beautiful to look at but points about six degrees to the right while going straight down the road. I've had it looked at by a Harley Dealer right after getting it home and a most trusted private shop here in St. Louis, Korn's and neither can find what's wrong.

I love this bike and want to fix the problem if possible. Tire wear looks normal so far. There are no signs of repairs anywhere on the frame or springer legs. Only 11,000 miles and the bike's paint is very fine--almost new looking except for a minor flaw on the tank top- a ding from someone dropping something.

Any help would be great----thanks!

Old 06-20-2009, 04:19 AM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts

are the back wheel spacers correct? put 2 planks of wood from front wheel to rear wheel to check there in line. if in dout jus walk away dont through good cash after bad

Old 06-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Springer46
1st Gear

Would guess the spaces are correct two shops have looked---a way to tell?

Much too late for walking--I will get it right!

Old 06-21-2009, 01:11 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Sounds like the rear tire isn't straight in the swing arm. But if the belt is tracking properly its probably been maladjusted to compensate for the engine/tranny being slightly out of line with the frame.
The tranny clutch/output pulley shaft "must" be aligned exactly 90 degrees to the centerline of the frame or the rear tire will be forced out of line to get the belt to track straight.

Newer Twincam bikes have the tranny bolted directly to the engine so both would have to move together for that condition to happen. But on the older EVO bikes the engine and tranny were seperatly mounted parts that are only connected by the primary case. So I would inspect the tranny mounting bolts and their mounting plates very carefully to see if there is any evidence to show them to be loose or they have moved.

It wasn't as critical with the older chain drives. They could be off several degrees and the chain would still operate. But if they were off more than that they would work. But you would get excessive wear on sides of the sprocket teeth from the chain rubbing on them.

Old 06-21-2009, 05:10 AM
Springer46
1st Gear

Citoriplus----------------Thanks for the insight--hadn't realized the transmission could misalign with the frame. This is my first Softail and I'm getting slow in my old age.
The fact that I had not noticed the bars being off when first riding the bike has thrown off my thinking. The problem became noticeable after getting a new tire at Rapid City Harley Davidson---a great place to avoid!
Have an old friend mechanic who works at a far away dealer who would know what to do here---------------time to renew our relationship.
Also thanks for being one of the folks who has kept our freedom ringing---this nation gets screwed up at times but always fights though it!

Peace to all of us------------

Old 06-21-2009, 09:10 AM
Mark R
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bike ever been in a crash or anythin like that?

Old 06-21-2009, 03:09 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

maybe it is the driver. my sportster used to do that until i moved my but to the center of the seat. have someone follow direct behind you with a camera.

Old 06-21-2009, 03:31 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

OK, I've been riding for 45 yrs and I have never heard of Dog tracking...

My guess is the front and rear tire tacks different, but if thats it how do U measure the 6*.
or is it the Bars and TT is pointing 6* to the right but still goes straight.???

Old 06-21-2009, 07:47 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

The easiest way I have ever heard of measureing dogtracking. Or seeing if your bike really is doing it is to pick a side street near you that's flat and straight.
Pour some water on the ground, enough to wet the whole tire as it goes through it and ride as straight at you can through it at about 10 to 15 mph.
It should leave wet tire tracks behind that you can measure and if you have a friend stand next to the puddles end he can see which tire is making which track.
Then you'll know how far out things are out of whack.
Its quite normal to see a bike tracking as much as a inch or slightly more off, but more than that generally means somethings off somewhere.
I believe that the factory uses a laser to set the engine/tranny and rear tire combination straight in the frame so if its off, you got a problem. And don't discount the fact that everything mechanincal might be straight, but an old belt might need the rear tire misaligned to track straight in the pulleys.

Old 06-21-2009, 07:54 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

Your not gonna make any friends around here offering Drinks ,then asking advise instead.

It's friday night for me, Feelin alright! as they say. The morning brings 2 days on the bike. Life is good!

Carry on!

Quick Reply: Drinks all round!