Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe sissy bar backrest too laid back

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 02:29 PM
ukekahuna
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe sissy bar backrest too laid back

Just installed on Deluxe 09 bike, all HD accessory; the one-piece sissy bar, with Deluxe matching high backrest pad, matching larger seat designed for the Deluxe.

The accessory parts are of great quality but who ever designed the sissy bar must have done it for looks in mind only and not for any comfort!
The sissy bar is angled too far back so passenger keeps slips forward on the seat and uncomfortable, especially during deceleration (braking).
Other than putting velcro on butt and seat or bending the bar to a more upright position and having to re-chrome;

Has anyone come up with something / i.e. made a shim behind the back pad, a carrier pack that would fit and mount in front of sissy bar and lay back on it for more upright position comfort, etc. that will help cure this big problem?

Old 06-18-2009, 05:46 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ukekahuna

The accessory parts are of great quality but who ever designed the sissy bar must have done it for looks in mind only and not for any comfort!
The sissy bar is angled too far back so passenger keeps slips forward on the seat and uncomfortable, especially during deceleration (braking).
Other than putting velcro on butt and seat or bending the bar to a more upright position and having to re-chrome;

Has anyone come up with something / i.e. made a shim behind the back pad, a carrier pack that would fit and mount in front of sissy bar and lay back on it for more upright position comfort, etc. that will help cure this big problem?

My OL doesnt have any of the problems that you have. She actually says its now comfotable now that i installed the deluxe touring pillion(52930-05). I also run the detachable sissy bar(53618-05)with backrest(51587-05). Not one bad word about my set-up. Maybe this is a unique problem for you and your OL? Just tell her to SQEEEEZ her legs maybe that might work? Ducktape?

Last edited by BLKnCHRME09Deluxe; 06-18-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:59 PM
Mrawsome21
Cruiser

Haven't heard any complaints from my girlfriend on mine. Haven;t done extensive touring though.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:10 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

post a picture of the bar and pad you are using maybe if we saw it someone could come up with something for you.

Old 06-18-2009, 06:41 PM
tnharley7
Road Captain

My wife has the same problem with the sissybar on the XBones. It feels like she is laying back way too far to be comfortable. Interested in what you come up with.

Old 06-20-2009, 01:08 PM
ukekahuna
Advanced

Hey, have same parts as BLKnCHRME09Deluxe. We'll keep everyone posted on finding a solution to the problem.
Found now on past posts on this forum, the same problem folks were having with the special one-piece HD sissy bar designed for the Deluxe. They too, saying being too far laid back for comfort. One suggested getting the standard two piece sissy bar HD set-up that would also fit but not as nice looking on the bike.... Oh well. we'll see what we can do...

Old 06-20-2009, 04:16 PM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I just got my detachable sissy bar on my bike no problems at all from the wife she is quite happy for a change.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:02 PM
MJHJEA
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

My wife wasn't crazy about it at first, but after some time, she is fine with it. Maybe give it a little time and see if she gets used to it.

Old 06-20-2009, 07:14 PM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,084 Likes on 562 Posts

It is definately layed back more than the Heritage or standard type side plates. My wife has just learned to live with it. You could reshape the backrest pad...

Old 06-20-2009, 07:15 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

They're not supposed to lay on them. It's there to keep them sliding off the back during acceleration!

Okay, maybe a little back support.

Quick Reply: Deluxe sissy bar backrest too laid back