Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrating Issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 11:53 AM
harley_nova
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Rak1, I know. I would love to put a Stage 1 on my custom. What SE Programmer do you have? There is a guy close to me who just put on the SE Pro Race Tuner on his Heritage and he noticed a HUGE difference.
I will be able to save up some coin this winter, but for now, I need to find out what the heck is going on with my bike.
I have read that decel pops and start up pops are completely normal so I wouldn't worry to much about that.
Did the dealer tighten those bolts for free!! haha

Thanks

Old 06-18-2009, 11:57 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Maybe you could get lucky and it could blow up...Giving you a nice oppourtunity at a set of bigger jugs and pistons to turn yer' 96" into a 103!!!

Yer' Twinkie is a tough sumbitch. It takes something huge to cause truly catastrophic failure. So yer' motor is more than likely just fine.

05's had valve guide seal issues. Mine had major issues. The bike ended up going from an 88" to a 95" with just a few extra bucks throw in on top of the warranty monies. It was catstrophic though where as yours? Not so much.

You see your 96 is an slightly revamped version of the 88". Short of the much improved cam chain tensioning system your 96" actually has the identical cylinder and piston bore size as an 88". When they made the 88 into a 96 Moco added a stroker crank. The 96" has about a half inch shorter piston to allow for clearence on that longer stroke.

So you are sitting on a easy and relatively cheap 103" stroker big bore bike if you ever go with the bigger jugs and piston...If it in fact ever fails.

I have a 88" with a big bore kit. So my 95" cannot become a 103 or bigger without adding a stroked crank. A pricey propostion my friend....Ouch. Love my 95" no plans til' I twist or slip the stock crank!!

Harley plugs are fine. I recently had a slew of headwork and internal crap done to mine and the builder who did it is one of those guys who felt his reputation as a motor guy would be told on Dyno day at the local tuners. These guys are finnicky fvcks and he insisted that the bike needed Autolites with indexing disc's so I said whatever.... Stick with stock plugs Nova.

I like Amsoil 20-50 synthetic motorcyle Erl. That could spark a debate though as oil is one of those weird subjects.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:04 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Now I remember why I didn't check my codes when I first saw the procedure posted. Talk about complicated.

Guess the old brain just doesn't process complex instructions like it used to.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Print those instructions and stand over yer' scoot with em...Its way easier than it reads!!

Old 06-18-2009, 12:15 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
Print those instructions and stand over yer' scoot with em...Its way easier than it reads!!
Yes, most definitely have to print them out Love the ODBII scanner for my cage. Plug it in, out pop the codes.

Old 06-18-2009, 12:58 PM
harley_nova
Tourer

I hear ya Jim. I'm 25 and it looks complicated as hell!! Hopefully the system allows you to screw up a couple times. If not, I'm toast!! haha

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Now I remember why I didn't check my codes when I first saw the procedure posted. Talk about complicated.

Guess the old brain just doesn't process complex instructions like it used to.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:04 PM
harley_nova
Tourer

Oh man, a 103" would be shaweet!! I would give my right arm for one of those babies. Maybe when she is paid off or like you said, maybe I will get lucky and she'll blow. It can't be that much more for a 103"

Yeah I have read a few "which oil to use" threads and they can get pretty opinionated. Whatever. Stick to what you know works I guess.

I love the 96" I've driven a 88" and the snap that the 96" kicks a$$. Mine, not so much. The snap is missing. It vibrates, lugz... Sucks sh*t. I am hoping nothing major is the problem or I will cry!!
Warranties never cover the whole damn thing. There is always hidden costs somewhere. Is labour covered by warranty?

Nova

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
Maybe you could get lucky and it could blow up...Giving you a nice oppourtunity at a set of bigger jugs and pistons to turn yer' 96" into a 103!!!

Yer' Twinkie is a tough sumbitch. It takes something huge to cause truly catastrophic failure. So yer' motor is more than likely just fine.

05's had valve guide seal issues. Mine had major issues. The bike ended up going from an 88" to a 95" with just a few extra bucks throw in on top of the warranty monies. It was catstrophic though where as yours? Not so much.

You see your 96 is an slightly revamped version of the 88". Short of the much improved cam chain tensioning system your 96" actually has the identical cylinder and piston bore size as an 88". When they made the 88 into a 96 Moco added a stroker crank. The 96" has about a half inch shorter piston to allow for clearence on that longer stroke.

So you are sitting on a easy and relatively cheap 103" stroker big bore bike if you ever go with the bigger jugs and piston...If it in fact ever fails.

I have a 88" with a big bore kit. So my 95" cannot become a 103 or bigger without adding a stroked crank. A pricey propostion my friend....Ouch. Love my 95" no plans til' I twist or slip the stock crank!!

Harley plugs are fine. I recently had a slew of headwork and internal crap done to mine and the builder who did it is one of those guys who felt his reputation as a motor guy would be told on Dyno day at the local tuners. These guys are finnicky fvcks and he insisted that the bike needed Autolites with indexing disc's so I said whatever.... Stick with stock plugs Nova.

I like Amsoil 20-50 synthetic motorcyle Erl. That could spark a debate though as oil is one of those weird subjects.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:30 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by harley_nova
Is labour covered by warranty?

Nova
Everything is covered, labor included. Have only used it once for the wife's Deluxe but there was no problem at all.

On the subject of oils. After a bunch of research the only real conclusion I came to was that synthetic was the way to go. Mostly because it tolerates high heat better which gives me more peace of mind when I get stuck in traffic and the oil temp gets over 250. I use Mobile Vtwin 20-50 because Wallyworld has it for under $9 qt.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:05 PM
harley_nova
Tourer

Sounds good Jim. I switched to Synthetic when I got my 1000km service done. I just got them to use the SE Syn 3 stuff that they of course say you MUST use.
$9 at Wally World sounds about my price range. Thanks

Ryan

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Everything is covered, labor included. Have only used it once for the wife's Deluxe but there was no problem at all.

On the subject of oils. After a bunch of research the only real conclusion I came to was that synthetic was the way to go. Mostly because it tolerates high heat better which gives me more peace of mind when I get stuck in traffic and the oil temp gets over 250. I use Mobile Vtwin 20-50 because Wallyworld has it for under $9 qt.

Old 06-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

They have Wal-Marts in Nova Scotia now?

Quick Reply: Vibrating Issue