Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. Ultra Classic

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 06:21 PM
Cheeze
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Heritage vs. Ultra Classic

I currently have a 09 Ultra Classis but figured i would post this in the Softail section. My best friend just bought a 05 Heritage....very nice bike. I have ridden it a few times and must admit its more fun to ride than my Ultra. Not as smooth....not as quiet..no ipod connection... but it feels more like a motorcycle to me. The Heritage even has me considering trading my Ultra for one. Have I lost my mind?

Old 06-17-2009, 06:36 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by mccollde
I currently have a 09 Ultra Classis but figured i would post this in the Softail section. My best friend just bought a 05 Heritage....very nice bike. I have ridden it a few times and must admit its more fun to ride than my Ultra. Not as smooth....not as quiet..no ipod connection... but it feels more like a motorcycle to me. The Heritage even has me considering trading my Ultra for one. Have I lost my mind?
Nope, you haven't lost your mind. Heritage is a great bike that you can stretch back on. While I haven't ridden an Ultra I personally felt like I was being shoved up against the windshield. With my Heritage I just lean back & enjoy the ride! JMHO.....

Clay

Old 06-17-2009, 06:40 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

If you can only have one and you decide to trade your Ultra in on a Heritage, yes you have lost your mind. Just my 2$.

Old 06-17-2009, 07:53 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 74 Likes on 51 Posts

You have lost your mind.
Ride your Ultra on twisties up and down hill. Do the same with the Heritage.
I have had both, currently and Ultra. Assuming equal riders any touring model
runs away and hides from a Heritage.
Not knocking the Heritage, just talking about spirited riding in the mountains.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:33 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

Ride what you like. Screw everyone else.

Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Well, I started out on a 2000 Heritage, loved every minute of it, added many extras. Still have it today. Went to an 02 Ultra. Ride the Ultra more just because of all the extras, and the wife is more comfotable. Love them both. Do what you need to do.

Good luck -

Old 06-18-2009, 07:00 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

If you were to say that your going to be riding it cross country, then I would say your nuts. Much as I love Softails, an Ultra has it beat hands down for going on really long rides lots of times.
But if your looking for a bike that will only occasionally have to go the distance, spending most of its life in and around town, then no, your not nuts.
A Softail of almost any description should work just fine and be more fun to ride in the bargin.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:08 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Sleeko Deluxe
Ride what you like. Screw everyone else.
This is a good answer.

Old 06-18-2009, 07:30 AM
leond
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a '07 Electra Glide Classic. I rode it everywhere and really enjoyed the bike. But something just didn't feel right.

I happened to find someone a town over from me that had a '07 Fatboy who was looking to buy an Electra. We tried each other's bikes and did the deal (plus cash on his end). And I've never been happier.

The Fatboy came setup pretty well; removable windshield, removable luggage rack/backrest, light bar, etc. I added some soft saddle bags. I feel like I have 90% of what the Electra offered with the ability to take it off and ride naked.

Three things I miss about the Electra: 1. the radio 2. locking storage (the trunk was very convenient) 3. comfort over small bumps; the Fatboy rides a little harsher over the smaller, stutter bumps.

That said, I love the feel of taking the windshield off and just riding for no reason. If it's cold or I'm doing a lot of highway, the shield's on. Otherwise it's off. And if I did a lot of highway or long distance touring, I'd be on an Electra. But I don't. And for the type of riding I do, it's the Fatboy all the way.

So no, I don't think you've lost your mind.

LeonD

Old 06-18-2009, 08:17 AM
09heritagerider
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would do whatever your gut tells you...it may be hard to let go of all the bells and whistles of the Ultra though! I can tell you that the Heritage has completely met my expectations...

Quick Reply: Heritage vs. Ultra Classic