Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Se 203 or tw26, told they were a waste of time.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:35 PM
mike06train
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Se 203 or tw26, told they were a waste of time.

I called Throttle city yesterday about swapping my cams and either porting my heads or a new set of perfromance heads, what ever was better. I'm looking for more power across the whole RPM range but mostly low to mid compaired to stock. I was told both those cams were a wast of time and if I wanted them I should just stick with the stock cams. Then he said not to do anything to the heads unless I was going with a 95" kit.
This makes no sense to me. I have built many car motors and 2 GSXR's. Better flow = more power. So why not improve the flow of the heads with out adding inces. Also, I have read good things about both these cams on here. I'm not looking to build a drag bike, just some more punch. Could someone give me some guidence. I am new to the V-twin game and I am second guessing my gut feelings.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:32 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here:http://www.nightrider.com/biketech/hplist_twin_cam.htm

Lots of bikes with different combos and dyno numbers.

A guy can build a pretty decent running 88" so I think your guy is trippin'.

I have a stage 3 95" with 211's,Lots of compression, Headwork, Etc..etc.. It is literally a night and day bike compared to a stock 96 or 88. It wont live as long, It eats fuel, My starter is on its last legs and its more fun than a sack of crack and 3 fancy Hookers!

Its all about how much you wanna spend.

Is a 95" upgrade a good start? Heck yes.

Is camming an 88, adding a good pipe or pipes along with a high flow AC a good idea? You betcha.

Whats your budget?

We have a member here making over 90HP and over 100Lbs TQ on a set of 203's. I wouldnt call them a waste of time but there are other choices for drop in no headwork stock compression cams out there that may be explored as well.

Read around in the Night Rider sight and then go here and read through some threads:http://www.*****************/forums/twin-cam-engine-mods/

Lots of good info out there.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:36 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

BTW: Correct combinations of cams, compression, pipes, and solid tuning are very important with these twin cam motors.

Miss a step or have one thing off and everything is adversly affected.

Bad pipes on a badass motor = Dawg.

Bad tune? = Dawg.

Wrong cams for the compression? = Wierd dawg.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:31 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
BTW: Correct combinations of cams, compression, pipes, and solid tuning are very important with these twin cam motors.

Miss a step or have one thing off and everything is adversly affected.

Bad pipes on a badass motor = Dawg.

Bad tune? = Dawg.

Wrong cams for the compression? = Wierd dawg.
I agree Chazmanian, Im not a tuner but its more about getting the parts to work together as a package and the performance will improve. MY bike only has the SE 204 cams, 95 ci,SERT and V & H pipes otherwise stock and it made 81 hp 92 tq on the last dyno run.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:38 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Their is a bit of a recipe to this stuff. I am not a chef but do know that 203's, 21's and 26's will wake up any stock stage 1 88" or 96" nicely. You will feel the diff! You wont win any race, but the bike will perform much better. And, these cams do not need head work. They are more of the bolt in flavor. Maybe thats what the guy was trying to tell you.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:50 PM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Chucky (Throttle City mechanic/owner) sometimes has a hard time conveying his meaning. I use him for all the work I can't/won't do myself and its always "flawless". As soon as I beat the **** out of this stock engine a little more; I'm going to him for a 103 kit. BTW you can't beat the price for his Dynos $29.95 (3 runs). I also had him custom tune my intake & pipes and my Train runs great.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:25 PM
mike06train
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the input. I understand with any motor it is about your combination working in unison and in proper tune. I guess I'm just over thinking things here. I'm not looking to build a drag bike I juat want alittle extra. The bike already has a set of hooker trouble makers, k&n intake and PCIII. I don't think the map is right and could use some tweeking. It's not so much a question of money for me but I want it to run the way I want. Keep in mind I switched to a harley because I wanted to slow down.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Go for bang on a budget.

Ask your motor guy about a package deal that includes milling and porting the heads, doing a thin set of gaskets, 3 angle valve seat grind , adjustable pushrods, and a cam he knows will do well on an 88 with bumped compression and better flowing heads.

A budget build like that on an 88 should give you the kick yer' after without kicking yer *** finacially.

If your stocker is making say 65-70HP/70-75TQ you could get up into the 85HP/90TQ on the 88.

90HP/100TQ wouldnt be hard to achieve on the 95" running the basic 95" cast Moco pistons for longevity.

$1200-Ish with cams on yer 88... $2000-$2200ish for the above and to bump the motor up to 95" jugs and pistons.

Looose the troublemakers and do a Fatcat, Pro-pipe or other performance oriented 2-1 and you could still do low 90's in HP and hit 110TQ on that budget build if the guy is any good with heads.