Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on some new rims for a Train

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 03:11 AM
jkeeton81
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Advice on some new rims for a Train

Hey guys,

Ive been looking at some Matte Black Spokes from HDWheels. They look great, but I feel like maybe im wasting the stock spokes. So I started questioning should I just buy one rear spoke and have them powdercoated. I dont mind dishing out the money for a set, but I dont know, I wonder if doing the powdercoating would look alright on a denim black.. What you all think?

Old 06-16-2009, 05:58 AM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Im lookin into doing the same thing on my vivid black train. I emailed dna wheels last night tryin ot get a price on a 40 spoke 18" wheel for the rear in all black. Then im can pull the front wheel and get it powdercoated. I also emails another company off ebay thats listed black wheels to see what they could do. But i asked about 60 spoke front and rear in all black with chrome or stainless nipples.

Oh anotherr note can a 40 spoke take alot of power no problem? My bike only has cams exhaust, air cleaner, and a pc3 so far but i lie to ride hard and dont want to be breakin spokes.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:15 AM
saintslax11
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mstng5point0
Im lookin into doing the same thing on my vivid black train. I emailed dna wheels last night tryin ot get a price on a 40 spoke 18" wheel for the rear in all black. Then im can pull the front wheel and get it powdercoated. I also emails another company off ebay thats listed black wheels to see what they could do. But i asked about 60 spoke front and rear in all black with chrome or stainless nipples.

Oh anotherr note can a 40 spoke take alot of power no problem? My bike only has cams exhaust, air cleaner, and a pc3 so far but i lie to ride hard and dont want to be breakin spokes.
Do not do Ebay for your spoked wheel. They are so cheap you will be pissed you bought them. Spend a couple extra bucks and get your moneys worth. I just have the 40 spoke rear. I can tell you this about my 40 spoke wheel, it can handle the power I put to the ground on this thing. I have 93hp and 104 trq and have had no problems. There are a chit load of pot holes around here and have not broken any spokes. I have had to get two tightened but that was after 10,000 miles. I learned my lesson and will be checking them all the time now. Spokes are a classic look. Wheel and tire combo should run you 800-1000 for a good wheel that mounts right up. I got mine from a fellow member here. No problems at all. It came from www.blackbikewheels.com. Worth every penny. I am sure there are people on the forum that will say you can get a cheaper one but rest assure you will be dealing with **** poor customer service and mounting problems. Good luck.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:18 AM
saintslax11
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 06-16-2009, 07:00 AM
jkeeton81
Tourer

Check out HDWheels too.. They have some nice black spokes. I hear they are good and not bad priced. If anyone has reviews...Please share.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:27 AM
jkeeton81
Tourer

What do you guys think. About 900 per wheel.

http://hdwheels.com/images/40-60_Spo...mand%20Hub.jpg

Or i could just buy a spoked wheel from harley and have them powder coat both

Old 06-16-2009, 07:59 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Heres my .02, On the cheap E-Bay DNA wheels from Mototek.
**** Poor customer service...No worse than that non-exsistant customer service and a 3 week wait.

This is the DNA 60 spoke. I went front and rear for $730.00 shipped.

Now I think I got lucky as I have read about a few other guys here who bought DNA wheels and they flat out did not bolt up...I called DNA probably 10 times during the process and seriously pestered then and even spoke with the tech who was lacing my wheel to ensure he got the correct hubs and that all went according to plan.

My wheels arrived 3 weeks after ordering them and worked out awesome....Sitting my bike side by side with a buddy who has a set of high dollar wheels from another source even he agreed that he should have loooked at the DNA wheels as he has $1900.00 spent on his compared to my $730.00 and the quality differences just arent that apparent.

That being said? I may have just got lucky.

If I could turn back time and order a set of the $2000 wheels instead of these would I??

Heck no.

You would need to be making some serious power to even thing of tweaking a 40 spoke based on built motor. PC your front stocker...Find a decent 40 spoke for the rear and have it PC'ed as well. You shouldnt have to spend a fortune.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:02 AM
jkeeton81
Tourer

Chaz, Poor custimer service with HDW??

Old 06-16-2009, 08:13 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by jkeeton81
Chaz, Poor custimer service with HDW??

I edited my post....I was reffering to Mototek the E-Bay retailor for DNA wheels....They are like seriously stoopid.

I went so far as to speak with the owner of mototek a week into my wheel wait where he gave me a direct number to the DNA shop.

I then found the guy who had my work order and pestered him silly.

I wanted my wheels prepped correctly before being PC'ed and told him I would send them back uif they arrived looking stoopid.

I wanted the correct hubs and had him actually measure and tell me what he was using....

I called him a bunch of times asking what was up on my order and I'm suprised he didnt just hang up on me.

Then he called me a couple times. Asked if I wanted the spokes PC'ed and confirmed things we had already discussed....

Mototek sucks *********. The folks at DNA itself? Are pretty good folks!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

These freaks:http://stores.shop.ebay.com/MOTOTEKS

Hands down the best price on DNA wheels anywhere.

$730.00 shipped to my door front and rear.

You will spend $300.00 worth of your time fvcking with them making sure yer' order is placed correctly and another $300.00 worth of your time calling DNA directly!!

I cant biatch tho' as $730.00- shipped was a sweet deal on some really sweet looking rims that dont leak and look great!

Whatever you do make sure you upsize the rear to an 18". Man the 18" is sweet. It tucks up under the fenner just right. Love it.

Quick Reply: Advice on some new rims for a Train