Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on some new rims for a Train

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 09:18 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogflyer
i remember reading some of that thread. the hubs will be a factor in whether wheels fit properly or not. i wasted some dough on a front wheel from ebay that was supposed to fit 2000+. i think it was the hub on that one, as it was off set to far left into the brake caliper. hdwheels may cost a lil' more, but you will be able to sleep at night knowing you ordered the right brand.
Ah...ok. If we're talking front thats a different story. Front caliper is obviously fixed.

I ordrered the rear only cause Im gonna reuse the stock front. Both are 40 spoke and they match perfectly.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 PM
tweakin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HDwheels uses Harley hubs, thats why there are no issues.

Old 06-16-2009, 10:21 PM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zss42002
so just got my 1/2" rear pulley spacer and still nothing works i have about a 1/4" of play back and forth on the axle with the 1/2" pulley spacer and the stock spacers. the wheel when centered on the brake has barley any clearance on the left side of the fender as opposed to the right which has a lot of clearace between the tire and fender. also my belt when the wheel is centered hits the tire and the mud flap. that might be because it is not spaced correctly. but anyway has anyone used the dna 40 spoke 18 x 5.5 rear wheel?? if yes what size spacers did you use? did the wheel fit?? i am so aggravated. nothing but problems. PELEASE SOMEONE HELP.

This is what zss was up against if it helps any. Might want to PM him and ask some questions. Once you mount a tire to the DNA wheel, you own it, they are EXTREMELY difficult to work with on getting a refund.

Old 06-16-2009, 11:35 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master

Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC
Ah...ok. If we're talking front thats a different story. Front caliper is obviously fixed.

I ordrered the rear only cause Im gonna reuse the stock front. Both are 40 spoke and they match perfectly.
ah... i was just making a reference to hub off-sets having to be correct. same story, different wheel. i could care less anyway. i got me a set that fits. good luck.

Last edited by phrogflyer; 06-17-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:34 AM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by phrogflyer
ah... i was just making a reference to hub off-sets having to be correct. same story, different wheel. i could care less anyway. i got me a set that fits. good luck.
A set that fits is the key phrase here. I have a full machine shop at my job with all the fun CNC goodies and fully staffed with tool and die makers, they probably could have helped me "adapt" just about any wheel to this bike. I dont think that you should have to di*k around trying to figure out hub offsets, pulley and axle spacers after the money you end up dishing out for a new set of wheels. I wanted a set that I could push into posistion, slide the axle in, tighten up and roll out. Thats what I got.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:33 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmell RKC
A set that fits is the key phrase here. I have a full machine shop at my job with all the fun CNC goodies and fully staffed with tool and die makers, they probably could have helped me "adapt" just about any wheel to this bike. I dont think that you should have to di*k around trying to figure out hub offsets, pulley and axle spacers after the money you end up dishing out for a new set of wheels. I wanted a set that I could push into posistion, slide the axle in, tighten up and roll out. Thats what I got.

Where did you get your rim from?

Old 06-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser

Little update. Got the spacer situation all figured out. Pulley side needs 3/8" larger spacer than stock and the rotor side(spacer between caliper mount and frame, not the one between wheel and caliper mount) needs 1/8" less than stock. Wheel is centered perfectly!

My powdercoater is dropping off my rotors and pulley so I dont have them yet, but I can see the rotor will definately fit. Im not sure how much the pulley takes off so Im gonna have to see about that in a bit. There is quite a bit of room for the belt to walk on the primary drive gear so if its just rubbing the mudflap a touch like zss42002 Im gonna take my dremel and go to town on the mudflap. If its mucho out of whack Ill order a wider pulley spacer...no big deal!

Here are a couple pics. They dont show a whole lot but oh well. Ill get some pics of the finished product and explain what I do about the belt situation...if there is any.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:20 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser

Just got my rotors and pulley. Installed the rim and everything fits perfectly. Belt is about 1/2" away from the mudflap.

So I guess a DNA rear wheel will only require different spacers... With the money I spent Im extremely pleased!

Old 06-18-2009, 04:55 AM
09_NightRider
Tourer

Got Pic's of it installed ?
Love to see that I can get a spoke rear wheel for the 09 train.
where did you get the spacers, or did you make them ?

Old 06-18-2009, 06:25 AM
netvampire
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought my DNA's also through Mototek, never new about all the problems i am reading. did speak to them before buying to make sure there were no fitment issues.my bike is a 2007 and accordng to the dealer that fit them. they went straight on no problems, just needed the spacers machined a little. only problem they wont hold air ? so they said just to run tubes.guess i will keep my fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Advice on some new rims for a Train