Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on some new rims for a Train

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 07:38 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
I have beat the crap outta my DNA's. Lowered bike, big slamming pothole shots, modded motor mega TQ to the hub...Nary an issue. Nary a leak, nary a wobble. DNA's are good. If you can make em' fit....I think they like to send out the wrong ones...Like alot.
The only thing I have really heard bad about the DNA's is the PC quality, which I cant comment on. I can say the chrome looks top notch, much better than the chrome on my bullet headlight. No pitting or bubbles anywhere. How is the coating on yours?

As far as fitment though, it seems they will fit just like the higher priced wheels. Just need to supply your own spacer(or spacers), which for the money I saved I have no problem doing.

Originally Posted by mstng5point0
What size tire r u guys puttin on the back when going to an 18?

metzeler makes
210/40/18
200/50/18
200/55/18
Would the 200/50/18 be the one i want?
Correct. 200/50/18 is what you want.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What size tire r u guys puttin on the back when going to an 18?

metzeler makes
210/40/18
200/50/18
200/55/18
Would the 200/50/18 be the one i want?
The 210 will fit without any issues and look best IMO.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser

Not completely sure, but the aspect ratio on the 210 will have a shorter diameter than the stock tire. This will make the bike sit lower in the rear and change the gearing.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:45 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Thats what i was thinkin to cause i should be slightly wider but with a 40 aspect ratio i should be the same height as stock. But they say u need a 7-8" wide rim.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:47 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC
Not completely sure, but the aspect ratio on the 210 will have a shorter diameter than the stock tire. This will make the bike sit lower in the rear and change the gearing.
Thats where i belive ur wrong cause your going up in rim size so you want to go down in aspect ratio to keep it the same size as stock. I think the bike will apear to be lower but it wont be.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:12 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser

Thats where i belive ur wrong cause your going up in rim size so you want to go down in aspect ratio to keep it the same size as stock. I think the bike will apear to be lower but it wont be.
Stock rim/tire diameter(200/55/17): 25.7"
200/50/18: 25.9"
210/40/18: 24.6"

The 200/50/18 is what you need. Its only .2 taller than stock and will hardly affect gearing or look silly small on the new 18" rim. The 210 is over an inch shorter than stock. It will mess with gearing/speedo and look silly IMO...

Bike will look lower because of the taller rim not the shorter(in diameter) tire. Bigger rim gives it that "tucked" look.

Last edited by Jeffs FRC; 06-16-2009 at 08:14 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:18 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain

If thats the case then my bad. I was thinking differently. How did u figure out the height?

Old 06-16-2009, 08:19 PM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just read through Carmell RKC's link on page 2 and it seems the DNA wheel is EXACTLY the same dimensions as the HD wheel per Carmell's description of the pulley spacer and new spacer needed on the pulley side. Im not understanding why the DNA wont work on 07+ bikes???

From what I could understand from the DNA consultant, is that the issue lies within the offsets of the hub, in particular the disc side, it wont line up with the caliper and the caliper carrier.

Check with zss42002, he already tried them on his 07 NT and sent them back due to the fact that they just dont work.

Good luck Jeff, hope it works out for you and that you are able to enlighten us all on the DNA fitment issues with late model softails.

Last edited by Carmell RKC; 06-16-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Used wrong name
Old 06-16-2009, 09:04 PM
phrogflyer
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmell RKC
Just read through Carmell RKC's link on page 2 and it seems the DNA wheel is EXACTLY the same dimensions as the HD wheel per Carmell's description of the pulley spacer and new spacer needed on the pulley side. Im not understanding why the DNA wont work on 07+ bikes???

From what I could understand from the DNA consultant, is that the issue lies within the offsets of the hub, in particular the disc side, it wont line up with the caliper and the caliper carrier.

Check with zss42002, he already tried them on his 07 NT and sent them back due to the fact that they just dont work.

Good luck Jeff, hope it works out for you and that you are able to enlighten us all on the DNA fitment issues with late model softails.
i remember reading some of that thread. the hubs will be a factor in whether wheels fit properly or not. i wasted some dough on a front wheel from ebay that was supposed to fit 2000+. i think it was the hub on that one, as it was off set to far left into the brake caliper. hdwheels may cost a lil' more, but you will be able to sleep at night knowing you ordered the right brand.

Old 06-16-2009, 09:14 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser

If thats the case then my bad. I was thinking differently. How did u figure out the height?
No problem. I just used a tire size calculator.
http://www.powerdog.com/tiresize.cgi

Originally Posted by Carmell RKC

I will definately report back on my findings. I've already mocked the rim in place with the axle and stock spacers and it looks like I'm gonna need an 1/8" bigger spacer on the rotor side and a 1/4" larger spacer on the pulley side, or just 3/8" bigger on the pulley side. Once I get the rotor and pulley back from my powdercoater I'll be able to take some exact measurements.

Once again Im still unsure how it wont work. The DNA measures exactly the same as stock, pulley to outside of rotor bearing. Maybe other people have gotten a different rim than me? All Im seeing is that you need to replace a spacer or two. Some guys might be giving up if the wheel doesn't fit with the stock spacers.

Also on the disc side, I'm thinking its impossible for the disc not to line up as long as you dont change the inner spacer(no need to). The caliper bracket will float inwards or outwards if you change the outer spacer allowing you to center the wheel for a different than stock offset.

Last edited by Jeffs FRC; 06-16-2009 at 09:20 PM.

Quick Reply: Advice on some new rims for a Train