Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Advice on some new rims for a Train

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 12:40 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried and tried with that derned Russian at HD wheels and just couldnt get the money right.

I rolled the bones and won with DNA.

When I say rolled the bones its because fvckin' with them is a gamble. No doubt about it.

If money wasnt the driving force I may have bellied up with the cash and ran with big Ruskie.....Just couldnt see spending almost 2K on the old Biatch!!!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:20 PM
jkeeton81
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good deal Carmell, Im in Macomb county. But I hate Michigan..lol. Currently in Iraq working to get my *** outta there.

Chaz, I call the HDW a couple weeks ago they priced me I think 900 for each wheel.

Old 06-16-2009, 02:14 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Sounds about right...

I dont like cheap parts anymore than the next guy but dang my bike aint no show bike and I ride the fvcker...I just couldnt justify the 2 grand for a set of spoked wheels.

I'm an offroad guy at heart and have had many dealings in the past with DNA wheels as they are the go-to wheel if you wanna bling out your MX-er or taco a wheel.

But man...That E-Bay store is pure evil. Worse than evil.

With what I have gleaned here I guess if I had an 07+ bike I wouldnt even gambles on that chit not fitting. I would pull thy trigger with Russian Bob and drop the 2K like it was hot.

The dude dosent like negotiating. I negotiate on every single piece I buy on my bike. Every piece. Every time.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:51 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I email dna directly and her told me straight out they dont have wheels that fit my 08. So atleast they were straight forward with that.

Emails hd wheels and its gonna be $800 for a completly black 40 spoke 18x5.5 I really wasnt hopin to spend that much on 1 wheel. But i want spoke wheels pretty bad.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:07 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I ordered an 18x5.5 chrome 40 spoke for my 08 train from DNA through the retards at Mototeks. My plan was to get the DNA and my front stocker PC'd black but little did I know the DNA wheel comes sealed. Getting the seal off is gonna be a pain in the *** so getting them PC'd is gonna be a winter project. If you can, try to order it unsealed and run a tube after you get them coated.

As far as fitting its just a matter of getting some new spacers. The new DNA wheel with the pulley spacer is the exact same width as the stocker. The outside of bearing to outside of bearing on the DNA is about 3/8" shorter than the stock wheel so thats the reason for needing new spacers. Shouldn't really be a big problem...

My tire should be here tomorrow so I should have pics in a few days. Still waiting on some parts I had PC'd and have to get my new bars wired up.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Damn Jefff....I wanna see that!

Dont go installing that wheel and not sharing....

Old 06-16-2009, 06:50 PM
Jeffs FRC
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
Damn Jefff....I wanna see that!

Dont go installing that wheel and not sharing....
Hey Chaz. I will definately get some pics up and explain what I do to get the fitment right.

Just read through Carmell RKC's link on page 2 and it seems the DNA wheel is EXACTLY the same dimensions as the HD wheel per Carmell's description of the pulley spacer and new spacer needed on the pulley side. Im not understanding why the DNA wont work on 07+ bikes???

I wanted to order some HD wheels or blackbikewheels but when I found out the price for frick'n spoked wheels I said F it and went the cheap route. DNA wheel was $600 cheaper than HDwheels. Im also gonna bet this wheel won't fall apart at speed and nobody will know that I cheaped out...

Old 06-16-2009, 07:01 PM
tweakin
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HDWheels knows there sh*t. This is my second set from them and they are bombproof. My bro ordered a set of 120 spokes for his roadking and they were ripped off form his doorstep. Andrea at HDwheels had another set to him in a couple of weeks. Great customer service and no issues.

I am sure other companies do a great job and are less expensive, but HDwheels are no joke...

Old 06-16-2009, 07:17 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by Jeffs FRC
Hey Chaz. I will definately get some pics up and explain what I do to get the fitment right.

Just read through Carmell RKC's link on page 2 and it seems the DNA wheel is EXACTLY the same dimensions as the HD wheel per Carmell's description of the pulley spacer and new spacer needed on the pulley side. Im not understanding why the DNA wont work on 07+ bikes???

I wanted to order some HD wheels or blackbikewheels but when I found out the price for frick'n spoked wheels I said F it and went the cheap route. DNA wheel was $600 cheaper than HDwheels. Im also gonna bet this wheel won't fall apart at speed and nobody will know that I cheaped out...

I have beat the crap outta my DNA's. Lowered bike, big slamming pothole shots, modded motor mega TQ to the hub...Nary an issue. Nary a leak, nary a wobble. DNA's are good. If you can make em' fit....I think they like to send out the wrong ones...Like alot.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:20 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

What size tire r u guys puttin on the back when going to an 18?

metzeler makes
210/40/18
200/50/18
200/55/18
Would the 200/50/18 be the one i want?

Quick Reply: Advice on some new rims for a Train