Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

09 Rocker with engine oil leak- Case needs to be split and resealed

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009 | 08:38 PM
rlyden
|
Novice
Default 09 Rocker with engine oil leak- Case needs to be split and resealed

Hey Everyone, I have an 09 rocker C with 2,000 miles on it. Yesterday, I noticed some oil on top of the engine case and took it to the dealer. They said there is a problem with the Rocker and that the factory didn't seal the engines well enough thus, leading to this problem. To fix it, they said they need to split the case to reseal everything. This is my first Harley so this is all new to me.

I just wanted to alert all of the Rocker owners out there that I have this issue and want to get some feedback from anyone else who might have the same problem. I have attached a couple of pictures so you can see where the leak is.

While I was talking to the service writer he asked me if I was planning on doing any engine work. Up till now, I hadn't planned on doing anything else to the engine besides what I have already done which was adding a SERT, heavy breather, and big radius pipes.

We started talking about a 103 upgrade with a new cam and dyno tune. All I will have to pay for are the parts and for dyno which should be around $1,100.

Does this seem like a good deal to you guys and if I decide to do it which I pretty much have, does anyone know how it will affect the warranty?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails 09 Rocker with engine oil leak- Case needs to be split and resealed-img_1769.jpg   09 Rocker with engine oil leak- Case needs to be split and resealed-img_1770.jpg  
Old 06-14-2009 | 08:53 PM
PureDeath
Road Warrior

The warranty will be fine as long as it's done by the stealer, then you will notices your mileages drop like a rock!
But if your going to do it...........now's the time.

Old 06-14-2009 | 09:36 PM
Rail
Road Master
Veteran: Army

I disagree about the mileage dropping like a rock.. There are plenty of guys out there with big engines that are still getting lo-mid 40's mpg..

I guess $1100 is a decent price but what's included?.. You can buy the 103 stage II base kit for a little less than $800.. One thing to think about, if you do go with the 103 motor spend the money for headwork as well.. You won't regret it down the road...

As for the 103 kit; once you get it down you're gonna love the difference even if it wasn't something you thought you needed to do..

Not sure I buy the dealers statement that it's a Rocker thing cuz the factory didn't seal the engines.. The 96B is a softail motor not just a Rocker motor but as long as they're fixin it free of charge who care.. lol

Old 06-21-2009 | 03:10 AM
bozhog
Novice

rlyden i know how you must feel...my o9 rocker is at the dealers now with only 800km on it...with a oil leak in the crankcase where the 2 half's are sealed together ...but at the bottom of my engine....it does **** you off having to have your engine removed & dismantled on a new bike.....you would think they could seal a engine up properly by now.....mr HD needs a lesson from the japanese bike builders on how to seal & assemble a motor cycle engine.....not happy mr HD...get your act together...

Old 06-21-2009 | 07:38 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

Originally Posted by bozhog
..you would think they could seal a engine up properly by now.....mr HD needs a lesson from the japanese bike builders on how to seal & assemble a motor cycle engine.....not happy mr HD...get your act together...
They do know how to seal cases properly, but sometimes people, machines, processes goof up, that is what the warranty is for, and it appears that the company is honoring the warranty without a problem.

By the way, do you think the Japanese have never screwed up? Ask any mechanic that worked in a Honda dealership about the vf500 engines that were replaced due to bad bearings.

Old 06-21-2009 | 09:22 AM
jason628
Road Warrior

Greetings,

I've heard some issues with the 96Bs leaking oil, but I haven't had that problem. I do agree if you're doing engine upgrades, now is definitely the time!

Old 06-22-2009 | 08:50 PM
rlyden
|
Novice

I was a little surprised when I found out that they had to split the case and reseal everything. I'm just happy that the dealer didn't hesitate or try to dance around the issue. They asked me to bring it in right away. I still haven't taken it in yet because I wanted to do some research and get some feedback about the engine upgrade i plan to do.

I mainly ride around town and short 2-3 hour trips. The 103 C.I. Big bore and 204 cams seem to be sufficient for what I want. I already have the Sert, heavy breather, and Vance and Hines 2 into 2 pipes. Total for this upgrade is about $830 bucks with a Dyno tune. The warranty is covering all of the labor and seals.

I would like to know what other Rocker owners or anyone in with this engine package thinks about it.

Thanks again...

Old 06-22-2009 | 10:31 PM
Rail
Road Master
Veteran: Army

I think you'll be happy with that setup.. The SE211 cams are more fun but they require a bump in compression into the 10.5-1 range and that means headwork.. There are aftermarket cams that will give you a little more than the 204's but if the dealer is doing it all under warranty and going to service the warranty, I doubt if they'll let you use non SE parts.

Old 06-22-2009 | 10:40 PM
oct1949
Club Member

I believe the 103 kit was $1900 on our dealers winter special with cam (255 cam ??) and dynoed this past winter.

Old 06-23-2009 | 12:20 AM
Ruralmed
Road Captain

I think you would be pleased with the SE 103 stage II, I have it and love it. I also run the SE PRT, V&H BR's, and SE Heavy Breather. Unless your a total speed freak, the performance seems adequate for what I need. Plus I get 42-50 mpg depending on how fast I ride. I just finished a 3k trip and averaged 43 mpg.