Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley davidson chrome fork sliders

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 06:32 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts
Default harley davidson chrome fork sliders

I hate the brushed aluminum sliders on my Train, thus I conisidering the chrome sliders from HD. How difficult are they to install? I have tools, service manual, lift and skills...just not much patience.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:36 AM
Six Gunner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patience is the most important tool of all to have in your toolbox. JK... No really it is not that difficult at all as long as you take your time and follow your manual. If you run into any bumps step back look for a logical answer and when all else fails come back to the forum and someone here will have the right answer for you.

Old 06-14-2009, 06:59 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Its not hard at all....I have swapped mine from brushed to chrome to black in the span of a one month!

Just take of the wheel, and caliper. Then pull the fender and the turn signals.The tubes have cinch bolts on the tree and a bolt on top. You can literally have them both off your bike in 20 minutes.

You will need an impact wrench/air wrench to get the lower bolt broke free though. I wouldnt even try to get it with a handheld socket wrench. The bolts at the bottom of the sliders are a biatch and installed at the factory so tight that the only way to bust em' loose is with an impact wrench.

Once you are there refer to the manual...Simply stuff really nothing complex. Drain the fluid into a measuring cup and replace the same amout you removed...Its like 11 or 12 ounces. You will need to find a piece of PVC pipe in the proper size to drive your seals back into the slider once you swap em' and we use a section of pipe from lowes....Cant remeber the size but of you take one of your fork seals to lowes or home depot and match it up against the different sizes if PVC pipe you will find the right one. Good time to put heavier fluid (30WT) if so desired and a lowering kit in the bike.

Use the service manual and dont accidently leave part #21 in the bottom of your old sliders and ship it halfway across the country to a fellow HDF.Com member who then has to priority mail it back to you cuz' you were drunk and didnt look into yer' old sliders for the bottoming cones and reassembled your forks only to find they bottom out running over a dead Gnat on the road.....

Ummm....Dont ask me how I know this (Thanks Ricky)

Its easy.....Try not to do it schloppy drunk tho'!

Git' er done.

Heres mine when I had the chrome sliders:

And a few weeks and a buncha beers later with some crazy vintage bars and my OEM sliders PC-ed black.

Ya' think I miss those chrome sliders I sold for durt cheap to Ricky? Fvck yeah I do....Fvckn a right.

My bike isnt done yet. In the end with my upcopming mods the black sliders will look better...They just dont right now with those bars and tank emblems!!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:19 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Thanks for the tips/hints...I'm reading the service manual as we speak and waiting for the dealership to open. I don't think Harley offers a lowering kit; I'll have to get one from Progressive.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:47 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by aviscomi
Thanks for the tips/hints...I'm reading the service manual as we speak and waiting for the dealership to open. I don't think Harley offers a lowering kit; I'll have to get one from Progressive.

I think Harley does but its a crappy 1" drop that you wont even notice.

If I could do it all over again...Errr which in time I will, do the race tech kit if you stomach the $230.00 cost.

It comes with trick valving that makes for an excellent ride. I have the progressive. Its great and actually feels better than stock but some race tech valving would be exponetially better!

Good luck Mang!

You gots the sliders already?

Old 06-14-2009, 08:10 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Don't have the Sliders yet...dealer doesn't open till 10am on Sunday.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:12 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member

Hey Chaz,
You stated in an earlier reply "You will need an impact wrench/air wrench to get the lower bolt broke free though. I wouldnt even try to get it with a handheld socket wrench. The bolts at the bottom of the sliders are a biatch and installed at the factory so tight that the only way to bust em' loose is with an impact wrench."

I'm not seeing a "lower bolt", not on the bike nor the manual.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:49 AM
SavannahBob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's an Allen head. Look up in the slider, where the axle would be.

On edit, I THINK it's an Allen head. I had to replace mine after screwing up the heads.
Didn't use an impact.

Last edited by SavannahBob; 06-14-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: Allen head.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:04 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by aviscomi
Hey Chaz,
You stated in an earlier reply "You will need an impact wrench/air wrench to get the lower bolt broke free though. I wouldnt even try to get it with a handheld socket wrench. The bolts at the bottom of the sliders are a biatch and installed at the factory so tight that the only way to bust em' loose is with an impact wrench."

I'm not seeing a "lower bolt", not on the bike nor the manual.
Its not in the service manual for some weird *** reason as I just looked....

It is an allen. Up under where the axle mounts.

Mine was so tight there was no way to get it out with a impact....

Savannah Bob is a straight up badass...I'm either a wuss or Moco locktighted mine with JB weld! That fvcker wasnt gonna even bust loose without that sudden whack of the impact and we would have torn the heads to chit trying....

I betcha if we didnt have an air wrench like Savannah Bob we would have perservered.....Maybe?

When you put them back together buy a set of new lock washers for you right side axcle clamp as the factory ones are probably smashed and worthless...The nut on the rear of the axle clamp likes to come loose. I put Nylock nuts and lockwashers on mine for extra security....

Thats wierd how those bolts arent in the service manual....Whats up on that Bob?

Last edited by Chazmanian; 06-14-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:21 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

on a fatty it is a 6mm bolt. you need an extended one. I cut a craftsman Allen and put it in a 6mm socket. I then used a breaker bar and rubber mallet to get the bolt out.

Quick Reply: harley davidson chrome fork sliders