Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

harley davidson chrome fork sliders

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 09:27 AM
aviscomi
Grand HDF Member
Received 424 Likes on 255 Posts

Yo Chaz..did you get my PM about your mirrors? Are they Joker Machine?
I'm think about getting these:
http://www.jokermachine.com/itemstre...&Placeholder=0

Old 06-14-2009, 10:18 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Dayum....Those schooner mirrors are a serious piece. that isnt a safety device....Thats Art!!

Mine are just weirdo mirrors...I sent you a PM.

Git em.

Ouch...Them bitches are $250.00 shipped. Man....Thats some coinage there:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JOKER...Q5fAccessories

I'm a bargain hunter. Think I gave $60.00 for my weirdo mirrors and maybe $50.00 for my countour pegage as a package deal....

IF you ever stumble across a set of the crazy pegs...Git em. They are badassness.

Last edited by Chazmanian; 06-14-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:32 AM
Reino_79
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by aviscomi
Hey Chaz,
You stated in an earlier reply "You will need an impact wrench/air wrench to get the lower bolt broke free though. I wouldnt even try to get it with a handheld socket wrench. The bolts at the bottom of the sliders are a biatch and installed at the factory so tight that the only way to bust em' loose is with an impact wrench."

I'm not seeing a "lower bolt", not on the bike nor the manual.
Or if you dont have an impact wrench you could do what I ended up doing. I ended up drilling the head off the bolt, after I screwed up the head, and then using plyers and a vice to work the threads out. Then buy a new bolt for $3-5. If you have an impact is would be much easier though.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by Reino_79
Or if you dont have an impact wrench you could do what I ended up doing. I ended up drilling the head off the bolt, after I screwed up the head, and then using plyers and a vice to work the threads out. Then buy a new bolt for $3-5. If you have an impact is would be much easier though.

Seems like the theme here is no impact wrench = destroyed bolt head and additional hassles?

I suppose I would probably take the additional hassle than shell out moolah on an impact setup though?

My buddy just happens to have a lift and an impact or I would have gone in Ghetto style doing whatever I could to git er' done!!

I often find myself going in Ghetto style.......

Old 06-14-2009, 11:51 AM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I did not find that bolt that hard to get out. It was definitely not worth buying or renting a compressor and impact. I actually have one, but it was not needed. Proper size allen breaker bar, a couple of taps with a mallet to break it loose it was all good. I did not even need the mallet, I could of just hit it with the palm of my hand.
Originally Posted by Chazmanian
Seems like the theme here is no impact wrench = destroyed bolt head and additional hassles?

I suppose I would probably take the additional hassle than shell out moolah on an impact setup though?

My buddy just happens to have a lift and an impact or I would have gone in Ghetto style doing whatever I could to git er' done!!

I often find myself going in Ghetto style.......

Old 06-14-2009, 12:56 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by tlb
I did not find that bolt that hard to get out. It was definitely not worth buying or renting a compressor and impact. I actually have one, but it was not needed. Proper size allen breaker bar, a couple of taps with a mallet to break it loose it was all good. I did not even need the mallet, I could of just hit it with the palm of my hand.
So 1 outta 4 has gotten it out so far with damaging the head or using an impact.....

Not bad...Yet not so good.

Whats the worst case scenario is that you hafta do like Reino and drill the head off the bolt and get creative?

You may consider taking both the sliders down to a local mechanic of any sort and offer him a beer or a pack of smokes to bust em' loose real quick with his impact wrench. I would think most guys would smile and do it for free.

Tire shops, Auto mechanics.....Everyone loves a Harley project!

Old 06-14-2009, 04:39 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

No you are assuming you and the rest could not get the bolt out without using an impact. Hell man just myself, I have removed more than four of these without an impact.
I will agree if you have an impact, it is the best approach. I will not agree you need one to remove the bolts because you just do not. I do not have need to argue the point or question your ability to turn a wrench. I am not the worlds best mechanic by far, but I can remove those bolts without an impact.
I have no idea why Reino stripped the head out off his. I would bet he was not using a 6mm allen, or he was using one that was to short. In reality I would of broken the allen before I would of ever stripped out the head of the bolt.
If you wish to say "I would use an impact" that is fine, I agree, however, you can not say "you have to use an impact", which is what you are attempting to argue.

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
So 1 outta 4 has gotten it out so far with damaging the head or using an impact.....

Not bad...Yet not so good.

Whats the worst case scenario is that you hafta do like Reino and drill the head off the bolt and get creative?

You may consider taking both the sliders down to a local mechanic of any sort and offer him a beer or a pack of smokes to bust em' loose real quick with his impact wrench. I would think most guys would smile and do it for free.

Tire shops, Auto mechanics.....Everyone loves a Harley project!

Old 06-14-2009, 05:53 PM
niczumbo
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

DONT DO IT!!! otherwise your bike ends up looking like this(see pics) all shiny and women ohing and awing all over it wanting rides and crap.it just not worth it

Attached Thumbnails harley davidson chrome fork sliders-mvc-221f.jpg   harley davidson chrome fork sliders-mvc-226f.jpg  
Old 06-14-2009, 06:27 PM
Reino_79
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tlb
I have no idea why Reino stripped the head out off his. I would bet he was not using a 6mm allen, or he was using one that was to short. In reality I would of broken the allen before I would of ever stripped out the head of the bolt.
The head was stripped because I was stubborn and didnt have the right tools. Your second guess was right, the allen was the right size but it was too short. I then bought longer allens but by that time it was gone and too late. So thats why I ended up drilling it. The second one was fine, since by this time I had longer allens. I just did what someone else mentioned and put it in a vice and tapped the ratchet end to loosen it up then it came right out.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:19 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Meh....My bikes an old beater. My bolts must be siezed. Me and my buddy tryed and tryed and it was either gonna strip or not come out. We reached for the impact wrench...It took two seconds.

Whilst I see TLB has had great success with removing those bolts I look at Savannah Bob screwing his up, Reino and his and me enroute to screwing up mine prior to hitting them with an impact.

So maybe....YMMV?

Moral of the story? Do whatever you think is clever!! Just git er' done Vern!!

Quick Reply: harley davidson chrome fork sliders