Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tortured by the crossbone

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 12:00 PM
lucospock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tortured by the crossbone

Dear all,
I love my nightrain since 2 years that I own it. I did some mods, and of course plan to do more especially changing the springer front end that I am really fond. However, since the Xbone went out, I've been looking at that bike and becoming more and more attached to it, I love that look! So, now I am tortured between keeping my nightrain and finally swapping that front end with a springer =$$$$ ( and that awful bobtail...+beach bar) or buying a brand new crossbone (and changing seat, bobtail, beachbar..)
So guys, what would you do?
Thx!

Old 06-13-2009, 12:18 PM
fireinv38
Novice

have 08 crossbones. have had lots of bikes over the years. this is the best. rides and handles great. it's a people stopper. go to a show and look at all the classics, ultras, road kings lined up. they all look great but the crossbones stands out. you won't regret the choice.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:35 PM
GymRat523
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The Bones, people either love it or hate it, not many people in the middle.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:36 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by lucospock
Dear all,
I love my nightrain since 2 years that I own it. I did some mods, and of course plan to do more especially changing the springer front end that I am really fond. However, since the Xbone went out, I've been looking at that bike and becoming more and more attached to it, I love that look! So, now I am tortured between keeping my nightrain and finally swapping that front end with a springer =$$$$ ( and that awful bobtail...+beach bar) or buying a brand new crossbone (and changing seat, bobtail, beachbar..)
So guys, what would you do?
Thx!
You would lose yer' *** in this matket trying to sell or trade yer' Train.

Buy yerself a -2 DNA springer or if yer' lucky find a HD springer fork on flea-bay toss a solo seat on it and add a spoked rear wheel and a heartland EZ kit to address the Bobtail fender you hate so much???.

Total cost: About $1300 on the low side doing just a cheap DNA fork, wheel and seat to $3000 ish if you get real crazy and call heartland and get crazy.

You have can have something that will be more one offish and custom than a store bought bones just by modding your Train. A softails, a Softails a Softail and the Train is an excellent blank canvas to create your own masterpiece that wont get lost in the bar parking lot crowd or have some retard throw his leg over your bike on accident in front of the Harley dealer thinking its his!!

To think this was a simple Train with not too much money spent on it?

Or this?

No reason to lose your *** trading it in on the same basic chassis you already own.

Customize it and make it yours!!

Or just buy one thats already done. AKA:Bones?

Last edited by Chazmanian; 06-13-2009 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 12:57 PM
travis dasher
Road Captain

I agree with Chaz. Take what you got and run with it, trying to sell it in this market, man I wouldn't think of it. If you really want the springer front end save the coin and do it right. Dont go cheap on it you'll regret it later. The Bones and Train are my 2 favs, because the customizing possibilities are endless. Good luck

Old 06-13-2009, 01:15 PM
swordy
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Chazmanian

Buy yerself a -2 DNA springer or if yer' lucky find a HD springer fork on flea-bay toss a solo seat on it and add a spoked rear wheel and a heartland EZ kit to address the Bobtail fender you hate so much???.

Total cost: About $1300 on the low side doing just a cheap DNA fork, wheel and seat to $3000 ish if you get real crazy and call heartland and get crazy.

You have can have something that will be more one offish and custom than a store bought bones just by modding your Train. A softails, a Softails a Softail and the Train is an excellent blank canvas to create your own masterpiece that wont get lost in the bar parking lot crowd or have some retard throw his leg over your bike on accident in front of the Harley dealer thinking its his!!

Or this?

No reason to lose your *** trading it in on the same basic chassis you already own.

nice byks my son + right on the money

Old 06-13-2009, 01:29 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Originally Posted by travis dasher
I agree with Chaz. Take what you got and run with it, trying to sell it in this market, man I wouldn't think of it. If you really want the springer front end save the coin and do it right. Dont go cheap on it you'll regret it later. The Bones and Train are my 2 favs, because the customizing possibilities are endless. Good luck
Way endless...These bikes are the ultimate blank canvas....

I will concur with Dahs about the springer front end. Buy a good one if you do it. As cheap as the $400.00 DNA is???

Well its a POS. Basically relegate your train into a bar hopper.

Thats why I dont have one on my bike.

If and When I ever do get one???

Its gonna be an E-Bay OEM take off piece or come from this guys shop! Cept' 2 under...Not 36 over!! Sugah' (Sugar Bear Choppers in LA) makes some badass stuff man. Like seriously badass and it works going down the road!!

This guy has been making Springers since the early 70's. Heres an ad of his from 1973!

Last edited by Chazmanian; 06-13-2009 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-13-2009, 02:15 PM
MNROD
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Chazmanian

Or this?

I was gona say get a Bones, but this is great advice.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

These bikes are truly the VW bugs of the motorcycle world as they can both be the backbone for many radically different projects.

The Softail to me is more like a "Bug" per se than a Dyna as there are simply more parts and stuff available to do as you wish. You cant turn a Dyna into a Heritage....You can make a Dyna a Wide glide but it still looks like...That Dyna you always had. A Dyno needs to be chopped to change. Not so with the Softy.

Now throw in the fact that parts, bits and pieces from all the other Moco variations of the softail typically interchange between all the bikes??

You have a solid gold winner for customization.

There isnt a mass produced machine that you can anywhere today which is so adaptable to change both with factory and aftermarket parts.

Since the demise of the venerable VW Bug nothing mass produced has enjoyed such a tremendous amount of aftermarket and factory interchangability.

The Softail line is a throwback to days long gone by in a world of constantly changing machines. Remember when you could pull the tranny out of your dads Chevelle 4 door daddies businessmans car and it would bolt right up in your Camaro? Or when a VW part was...A VW Part?

You got a Softail anything 2000 and up? All the softail Twinkie stuff is gonna bolt up sans maybe some swingarm and alignment weirdness with the early bikes when they went with a 200MM tire in 07.

You gots an EVO powered Softy 84-99? Once again all the softail crap through the EVO range will interchange.

Nothing is as adaptable and wide ranging. The Softail is truly an incredible machine with an absolute lock on being the one of most customizable mass produced machines on the planet.

More so even than...A Dyna!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:18 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Damn Chaz, about half way through your post I swear I could hear the Star Spangled Banner playing in the background!

You're right. Play around with parts a little bit, and you've got a completely different bike. Without too much effort or money you can make a Softail so unique that no one will ever mistake it for anyone else's.

Quick Reply: tortured by the crossbone