Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

missouri helmet law?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 07:20 PM
Spanky09FatBoy
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default missouri helmet law?

anyone know the latest? did they pass the law and if so when does it go into effect? Thanks

Old 06-12-2009, 04:40 AM
MoMud
Advanced

As far as I know the govenor hasnt signed it yet. If it goes into effect it wont be until aug 28.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:00 AM
DevilDogg
Tourer

I was in MO last year and I never saw a single person riding w/o a helmet soooooo I only assumed they had a helmet law already.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:48 AM
Mopardik
Cruiser

We do, for now. The gov. has pledged to sign the bill, but hasn't as of yet. It would only require helmet usage for those under 21, or for anyone riding on the interstates. It's funny, at the same time they are doing this, they are passing a primary seat belt law. They just can't seem to let us have too much personal freedom at one time, can they?

Old 06-12-2009, 05:40 PM
GreenSpring
Intermediate

Here in Illinois there are no helmet laws at all on the books, but we got the primary seat belt law a while back. I guess it just goes to show that bikers are more aware of and proactive about there freedoms than cagers here in Illinois.

Old 06-12-2009, 07:36 PM
DevilDogg
Tourer

Yeah, here in SC you have to wear a helmet until 21 but after that, its whatever. Thats stupid that they are putting the interstate rule in there....a helmet is less likely to be effective at the speeds I run on the interstate than it would be on another road. And at the risk of sounding stupid...whats a primary seat belt law?

Old 06-12-2009, 11:50 PM
2099d
Cruiser

In Louisiana it was on the books this session,to admend the law,where if you over 21 you didnt have to where a helmet. But it got shot down! I just don't like to be told to wear a helmet. Should be a choice. I'd wear won anywaz,even if not required. Another of our freedoms gone to hell!

Old 06-13-2009, 06:02 AM
Z06_Pilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by DevilDogg
Yeah, here in SC you have to wear a helmet until 21 but after that, its whatever. Thats stupid that they are putting the interstate rule in there....a helmet is less likely to be effective at the speeds I run on the interstate than it would be on another road. And at the risk of sounding stupid...whats a primary seat belt law?

I believe that's a law that allows LEO to stop and ticket you for not wearing a seat belt, even if no other violations apply, hence the "primary" part.

In my state, we have secondary seat belt laws. they can only give you a ticket for not wearing a seat belt if they stop you primarily for another offense(speeding, broken tail light, etc)

Old 06-13-2009, 12:18 PM
DevilDogg
Tourer

Originally Posted by Z06_Pilot
I believe that's a law that allows LEO to stop and ticket you for not wearing a seat belt, even if no other violations apply, hence the "primary" part.

In my state, we have secondary seat belt laws. they can only give you a ticket for not wearing a seat belt if they stop you primarily for another offense(speeding, broken tail light, etc)
Oh ok. SC passed that about 4 years ago or so. However, I never ride w/ a seatbelt and I've never been stopped for it even after pulling up right next to a cop where he could obviously see the fact.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:24 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GreenSpring
Here in Illinois there are no helmet laws at all on the books, but we got the primary seat belt law a while back. I guess it just goes to show that bikers are more aware of and proactive about there freedoms than cagers here in Illinois.
I don't think that's completely correct. I think if you're under twenty-one you still have to wear one, and possibly if you're riding on a permit, not fully endorsed.

Quick Reply: missouri helmet law?