Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HogDeluxe Saddlebags - Initial Impression

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009 | 07:59 PM
nova_SS
Cruiser

I really like how they hug the rear fender from behind. Some bags just stick out way too far. Like the idea of lowering them to fill the gap. I went with Tsukayu bags on a metric I had once and had to mount the bracket myself. They ended up fitting the contour of the fender perfectly. Update with pics once you have them lowered.

Old 06-11-2009 | 08:54 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Talking

Just wondering if Mike was afraid that the bags would hit the rear axle if thy were lower. Sometimes it's a clearance issue. Look real nice BTW.

Old 06-11-2009 | 09:10 PM
ElSupremo
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Sleeko Deluxe
Just wondering if Mike was afraid that the bags would hit the rear axle if thy were lower. Sometimes it's a clearance issue. Look real nice BTW.
Yeah, that was his concern. On a stock bike that might be more of a concern, but with mine being lowered there is less axle travel, since there's nowhere for it to go.

Bags are coming off tonight and I'll hopefully have them done by tomorrow. I'll post some after pics.

Again, they're great bags and I'd recommend them to anyone thinking about them. I think they're just the right size, though I wouldn't mind if the were taller by an inch or two. And the price is great, also, especially when comparing them to similar bags like Boss Bags or Iron Bags.

Old 06-12-2009 | 12:17 AM
stratplexi
Grand HDF Member

Unless your ride is lowered to the point of being a hard tail it looks like you are going to be hitting the axle nuts for sure. I would definately lower them but not to the point of hitting the axle. You may need to space them out some.

When I first got my Deluxe in 06 I had this same problem. I ordered some aftermarket bags and they were way to high, looked out of place and I returned them. I ended up with the Harley Deluxe bags and I never really liked the shape of those bags either. I sold those and now run no bags on it. If I ever get another set, it will definately be the 2003 Heritage Springer bags. They sit low and have a great shape.

Old 06-12-2009 | 12:32 AM
netvampire
Tourer

How bout having a fringe sewn on to the bottom.

Old 06-12-2009 | 12:42 AM
ElSupremo
|
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by stratplexi
Unless your ride is lowered to the point of being a hard tail it looks like you are going to be hitting the axle nuts for sure. I would definately lower them but not to the point of hitting the axle. You may need to space them out some.

When I first got my Deluxe in 06 I had this same problem. I ordered some aftermarket bags and they were way to high, looked out of place and I returned them. I ended up with the Harley Deluxe bags and I never really liked the shape of those bags either. I sold those and now run no bags on it. If I ever get another set, it will definately be the 2003 Heritage Springer bags. They sit low and have a great shape.
The bottom of these bags are relieved for clearance, and Mike told me he was taking a little extra off to help clear the axle. I'll see just how much room I have before remounting them.

Old 06-28-2009 | 09:53 PM
url8
Road Master

Originally Posted by ElSupremo
The bottom of these bags are relieved for clearance, and Mike told me he was taking a little extra off to help clear the axle. I'll see just how much room I have before remounting them.
Hey guys I was messing with my bags (Same as ELSupremo) and just wanted to show you guys how the bags are relieved for clearance.

Last edited by url8; 06-30-2009 at 08:18 AM.
Old 08-07-2009 | 12:14 PM
Driften
Cruiser

Hey ELSupremo can we get an update? How do the bags fit after you lowered them?
Love to see some new pictures!

Old 08-07-2009 | 01:41 PM
Plasteredcat
Road Master

i like the bike without the bags... and the paint is

Old 08-07-2009 | 06:20 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by url8
Hey guys I was messing with my bags (Same as ELSupremo) and just wanted to show you guys how the bags are relieved for clearance.

I really like this feature that these bags offer. Makes them look like they do not stick out very far from behind the bike... Always wondered though, how accessible are the ez bracket the locks on top? Does this extra leather go on top also or just the sides?

btw - bike and bags are sweeet!

Quick Reply: HogDeluxe Saddlebags - Initial Impression