Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some advice/help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009 | 01:37 PM
jfbloom
|
Intermediate
Default I need some advice/help.

I joined this site in April looking for knowlege and trying to get a handle on the bike that I want. I was torn over the FXD vs. the FXST. I now realize that the softail is the way to go for me. I am looking for one that I like and can afford. Here comes the need for advice.

I recently found for sale a 2004 FXSTI in Sierra Red. 6100 miles V/H staggards, stage 1, fender rack, and sissy bar. The price $10,495.

Is this a good price or am I blinded by the fact that I want a new bike so bad. If I do pull the trigger, is there anything that I could/should ask for from the dealer to "sweeten the pot abit"?

Thanks in advance for all your helpful resonses.

Old 06-10-2009 | 05:18 PM
GreenSpring
Intermediate

Will this be your first Harley? Exciting, huh? The bike in question is worth about $9,700 retail acording to NADA. If you live in an area with looooong riding season, then that might be a deal. If your main season is May to October, I'd haggle. Just my .02. Sounds like a good bike. Good luck and let us know.

Old 06-10-2009 | 05:26 PM
Chief101
Road Captain

Not too far off on the price, but really it depends on the market in your area. And ALWAYS ask the dealer to sweeten the pot.....always.
Good luck with your decision!

Old 06-10-2009 | 05:39 PM
Sleepynupe
Advanced

I feel the price is a bit high. You could get a new bike for just a bit more.

Old 06-10-2009 | 05:48 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

If you are looking for a used bike and price is an issue check out Craigslist, Cycletrader.com, Ebay, etc. If you are unsure what to check for find a competent mechanic and offer him a few bucks to come and check out a bike with you.

Regards,
Tom
Harley Goodies

Old 06-10-2009 | 07:34 PM
oct1949
Club Member

If it cherry, He!! yes.....

any work or extra on it? I've put close to 6K in mine since getting it new in 07

Last edited by oct1949; 06-10-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 06-11-2009 | 05:55 AM
jfbloom
|
Intermediate

If it happens, it will be my first Harley. I didn't sleep much last night and I haven't even gotten to the dealer to look at the bike yet. I looked at cycletrader and the '04 listed range from 9,995 to 16,000 with the majority being around 12,500.

What types of things could I ask the dealer for???? I was considering asking for OTD @ 10,500. If thats not doable, then what else would help?

Thanks again.

Old 06-11-2009 | 06:06 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member

After looking around on the web, that looks pretty much like the standard price...They are nice bike and a guy once told me that if you don't feel right about the sale...DON"T BUY IT.

Old 06-11-2009 | 06:08 AM
Hammer107
Road Master

I'd offer him 9k to start. You can always come up, but you can't come down.

Dealers are aching to sell bikes in most areas of the country and it's later into the year now.

Don't go in there with your heart on your sleeve unless you are willing to pay full price and then some, because that's where you will end up.

Old 06-11-2009 | 06:51 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

An 04 is 5 model years old and come August 1st its going to be 6.
So before you get too serious about that particular bike.
I suggest you look around at as many other dealers as you can to see what other new bikes they might have in stock.
Some, not many, of the dealers are selling 09 bikes with a couple or three goodies added for MSRP.
None that I have heard of are discounting them, even in today's market.
But if your lucky you might be able to find a leftover 08 for a grand or so off.
Unless your going to walk in and hand the guy the cash you also need to consider the financing costs.
New bikes generally have a lower interest rate than used ones.
So there might be less difference in the price than you think in the long run.
In either case you will be getting a new bike with the full warranty plus whatever you can twist his arm for.

Besides you might find something you like better.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the Standard, their exactly the same bike as my Custom, mechanically.

I just don't care for the powder coated aluminum engine and like the chrome and black look better.

But that's just "my opinion" and as such is probably worth no more than the proverbial $.02.

Quick Reply: I need some advice/help.