Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Man am I glad I bought a train over a Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 05:02 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an Street Glide. First off, a new wind shield is like 40 bucks so don't judge the SG on just that. With that said....that bike has no soul. I shold have just driven a convertible.Never again would I own one. I did demo the new 09 which was much better, but it still was not a motorcycle.

You are wise in keeping your Train!

Sure the CD player was cool, but I found myself being more concerned with it than the riding experience.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:11 PM
jeff.georgalas
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I went from a soft tail (Fat Boy) to a Street Glide and would never go back. I've got an '08 so I don't know if the engine is solid mounted on the '09's or not, but my year and years prior were rubber mounted. Yes, all of the touring bikes were rubber mounted since they don't have the counterbalancer that the soft tails have. Once you leave a stop there is no difference in vibrations between touring bikes and soft tails. As for the wind problem you can always buy a taller windshield. For me, both of your complaints would be non-issues as when you're moving there's no vibrations and you can always buy a taller windshield if you want. I loved my Fatty, and wish I could have afforded to keep them both, but since money is an issue, I'll definitely keep what I've got. Guess that's why Harley's got so many different models though, this way we can all buy what we like and be happy with it.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:41 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

I was never so glad to get off a motorcycle!

My train rides like new again!

Once again Susquahanna valley HD has gone to great lenths to make sure a customer is happy. Not only did they re true my wheel, they also put a new tire and tube on as well as giving me a bike to ride all day.(even if it was a SG)

No Charge

Old 06-10-2009, 05:56 PM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have lost your MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is nothin soft about a softail

Old 06-10-2009, 06:14 PM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,338 Likes on 2,567 Posts

Originally Posted by mtairy biker
You have lost your MIND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! there is nothin soft about a softail
Depends on how your bike is set up. With good front springs and air ride I think my bike rides far better than any of the 3 SG'S I've demoed and rented.I keep thinking I want a SG but every one I've been on disappointed me.JMHO G.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:12 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mtairy biker
Sorry Man. I agree with back again.

my bike with stock suspension is way better then the SG I rode today. The SG had air rears as well.

As I rolled out of the dealer on my bike I told the OL, Thank God a real bike!

I hate to bash on the SG, I had thought til today that might have been my next ride.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:15 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

never rode one, but if its like my Heritage, the buffering is coming from under the shield, hits Your knees then up into your face....

Old 06-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Hammer107
Road Master

It's funny because all of the guys bashing the SG's are riding highly modified Trains.

I hated my Night Train when it was stock too and apparently so did you or you wouldn't have modified it. So you are comparing a bike that you have personalized to yourself to a bike that you just stepped onto for the day. A small windshield change, the right seat and the SG becomes much nicer than a stock one.

If anyone thinks a Train rides as nice as a SG then you are seriously delusional. You might have ridden a SG that had 0psi in the air shocks or something because it's night and day better than a Night Train, with or without an air ride because I ran both on my Train.

I too was torn between the two so rather than expect a SG to act like a Train or expect a Train to act like a SG....I just bought both.

Old 06-10-2009, 09:02 PM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

The only change i've made on my train as far as fit & comfort is pullback risers.....

As for a touring bike, i'll be looking at one of these instead.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...US#/model/flht

Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 PM
Hammer107
Road Master

Originally Posted by Mark g
The only change i've made on my train as far as fit & comfort is pullback risers.....

As for a touring bike, i'll be looking at one of these instead.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/C...US#/model/flht
An FLHX and an FLHT are virtually identical bikes. Very little difference between the two.

Pullback risers doesn't sound like much but it makes a big difference in how your bike feels.....just like a 40 dollar windshield would make a big difference in the SG.

Quick Reply: Man am I glad I bought a train over a Street Glide