Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cross Bones springer fork rocker recall?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009 | 11:31 AM
jt3333
|
Novice
Default Cross Bones springer fork rocker recall?

Hi all,
I was talking to the service manager at Ray C's H-D yesterday, and he told me there is a recall on some of the Cross Bones springer fork rocker bushings or bolts. He didn't have the a copy of the service bulletin yet, and said I would be getting a letter from the motor company. Anybody get a letter or know anything else about this? Thanks. -JT

Old 06-07-2009 | 11:55 AM
cammy5477
Road Captain

its the dome headed nut and bolt that hold the fender and brake assembly to the springer fork.
some guys are in process of getting it fixed my local stealer has ordered the part under warrenty of course.
thanks for the heads up though

Old 06-07-2009 | 11:57 AM
cammy5477
Road Captain

dude whats XiED ?

Old 06-07-2009 | 12:19 PM
jt3333
|
Novice

It makes the open loop part of the EFI run at 13.8:1 instead of 14.6:1. Works on a bike with stock air cleaner set up. If you have a Power Commander programmer or similar you already have better AFR. Look up Nightrider.com if you want more info. -JT

Old 06-07-2009 | 12:34 PM
crazybastid83
Banned

Subject: Safety Recall Campaign 0139

Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain model year 2008 and 2009 FLSTSB, model year 2008 FXSTSSE2 and model year 2009 FXSTSSE3 motorcycles manufactured May 22, 2007 through March 26, 2009 and shipped on or before March 27, 2009. The acorn stud at the brake reaction link on these motorcycles may fall out during use. If this occurs, the front brake and fender assembly would no longer be adequately retained. This condition could lead to a crash and potential injury or death to the rider.

We have voluntarily declared this a defect related to motor vehicle safety (Campaign 0139) to allow us to formally recall all affected motorcycles. The remedy is to replace the existing acorn stud with the new acorn stud and retaining clip provided in the recall repair kit. A service bulletin outlining the repair and credit procedure will follow within ten days. Based on the schedule our supplier has provided we expect to begin shipping repair kits on or before the week of June 8, 2009. Please reference the Service Bulletin for a detailed description of the defect.

In the interest of the safety of our mutual customers and as required by law, you may sell but NOT DELIVER any motorcycles equipped with the defective acorn stud to your customers until the remedy is completed.. Please refer to h-dnet.com on the Service Page/Safety and Product Campaign/Open Safety Campaign Instructions and the Safety Campaign and Open VIN Lists in the Service Toolbox for an updated list of affected VINs for this recall. Select the appropriate campaign number link (0139) to view any outstanding vehicles involved.

In accordance with Federal regulations administered by NHTSA, Harley-Davidson Motor Company, Inc. will provide notice to all owners of record of affected products with direction to bring the vehicle in for the recall service.

Old 06-07-2009 | 12:50 PM
jt3333
|
Novice

Thanks.

Old 03-04-2010 | 08:32 PM
vhog2
Stage II

My front end spinger front fork was stuck and collapsed before my ride, during the ride, the springer fork suddenly expanded. I lost control of my bike while traveling at 70 miles an hour and brole five ribs. Can this possibly have to do with defect you are talking about? I just got out of the hospital Tuesday.

Old 03-04-2010 | 09:08 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Don't think I'd want to wait till June to get it fixed so's I could ride and not have to worry about it but don't know that I'd want to ride either if my brake caliper and fender might come loose goin down the road.

I'd be puttin some duct tape on it as a temp fix so's I could keep ridin

Old 03-04-2010 | 09:13 PM
Rakthi
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by IronAss
Don't think I'd want to wait till June to get it fixed so's I could ride and not have to worry about it but don't know that I'd want to ride either if my brake caliper and fender might come loose goin down the road.

I'd be puttin some duct tape on it as a temp fix so's I could keep ridin
This thread is from last year and is about last year's recall!

Got picked up again by the vhog2 who had the accident.

Old 03-04-2010 | 09:16 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Thanks. I guess when I saw the thread title I just wanted to see what it was about without looking at the original date. I have a Springer and all I saw was Springer Recall.
I normally check out the OP date before I respond to a thread

Quick Reply: Cross Bones springer fork rocker recall?