Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII dual cylinder map worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 08:47 AM
07fat_boy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII dual cylinder map worth it?

I'm taking my Fat Boy to get dyno tuned tomorrow, and I'm planning on getting the tuner to map each cylinder separately. However, I'm wondering if it's really worth the extra time. I had my last bike dyno tuned, and due to some technical difficulties, it had to be on the dyno three times to get it right. After each of the first two tunes, it was only running a single map that was made for the rear cylinder and I didn't notice any difference between it then and after it was finally done right.

So, from anyone who has experience with this kind of thing, is having the cylinders mapped individually really worth the extra time on a mostly stock bike? All I've added to mine is Screaming Eagle SP mufflers and a heavy breather kit.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:34 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my maps was a little different for front and back. a good dyno tune takes more that 4 runs. it is more like 40 to 80 runs and 2 to 4 hours. i no longer have to rely on someone as i got the thundermax

Old 06-07-2009, 02:31 PM
07fat_boy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What I meant when I said that it had to be on the dyno three times to get it right was that the guy had to fully tune it three times, each of which took most of the afternoon on three consecutive Saturdays.

Anyway, I took my Fat Boy in yesterday and the tuner put it on their dyno and ran it to see how close the canned map that it was running was to what it needed it to be. As it turned out, the canned map that Fuel Moto loaded for me when I bought the PCIII was almost 100% spot on. He made a couple of very minute adjustments and extended the rev-limiter, and he only charged me $40 for his time. I was wondering around his shop at the time, so he very easily could have gone ahead and tuned it and charged me the $250 that I had intended to spend. I've said it before, and I'll say it again: if you're around Dallas and need a good PCIII tuner, you can't go wrong with Jim Sabin and Sabin Performance.