Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oops...Out doing some demo riding on the new 09's today!

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 07:07 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Oops...Out doing some demo riding on the new 09's today!

So whilst I was out and about enjoying my creepy *** bars and rollin' hard with arms spread wide fvcking open in classic beach bar weirdo fashion I popped into the Harley store...

I dunno why.

They call me non-stop to come demo stuff.

I had ridden a Bones and an leftover 08 Street Glide back in January and figgered what the heck lets give a go on the new and improved 09' Street Glide and give a Heritage softy a little taste as well. My Train is becoming more and more a local in town bar hopper type bike and lately its been in pieces more than its been on the road....

So they pull out the Glide and give me the stay under 3500 RPM's speil and dont go more than 10 miles crap...

I hop on the Street Glide complete with creepy loaner helmet.

First thing I realize is that my eyeballs are literally shaking in the sockets. Like I'm getting an instant headache from the idle of that rubbah mounted motor.

I'm feeling all cramped and weird again...Like I did back in January. Bars are to close. Legs are too bent. I'm thinking man I know why I didnt buy one of these bikes last year...

I take off. I cant see the wheel like I can on my bike and its absolutely gutless. It feels like a riding lawnmower compared to my bike. I go a mile up the road hating the seating postion, hating the bars and not figuring out how to turn on the radio!!

I cant get over the rubber mounted mtor or the fly by wire throttle. Its weird to me. I pull back in with sore eyeballs and the Heritage is waiting on me at the front door.

First off the styling isnt me...Lots of studs, little tassles flying around, there is alot of stuff going on with this bike! I do dig the lights on the front alot and the seat was luxury at its finest.

I take off. It feels familiar. It feels planted and solid. I'm liking everything about it but the tassles and studs and crazy underpowered stock bike feel.

I put the 10 miles on it and when I pulled back on the lot realized...

I like my old narrow assed Train way better than these bikes. Its fast, it slices, it dices, I can stretch out on it and everything on it feels better to me.

The salesman suggests a FatBoy.

I suggest that I have one with a different set of forks!

The salesman points at the bones. I shake my head.

Most of the customers are somehow gathering around my old beater pointing at parts, smoking ciggarettes, talking shop.

I get back on my bike and roar off and up the road.....

Moral of my stoopid playing hooky day off story....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5IVu...eature=related

Old 06-04-2009, 07:32 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uh, your nuts... your NT is golden. Although in some kinda transition stage right now. Them other bikes you road, while fine outstanding bikes, are way off what you done to customize yours.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:36 PM
DevilDogg
Tourer

Man, I know how you feel. I rode a buddies street glide and yeah, you could take a bump and not feel a thing in that thing but I hated it. I felt like I was taking a dump the way I had to sit on it. Was def not for me. He poked about how he bet I was dreading getting back on my rocker, but I much prefer it over his. I'm sure after awhile you'd get used to it...but not for me. Funny thing is, when he got off mine he said he forgot how it was to ride a real motorcycle and that it was better than sex. I guess its good for a guy to get out from behind his windshield from time to time.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:37 PM
IronAss
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 12,258 Likes on 4,784 Posts

Gotta agree with ya. Rented a S.G. last week for a couple of days. Put a lil over 600 miles on it and have no desire to own one. Prefer my FL Springer Softail hands down. Gotta say the S.G. did handle better than mine does but I'm not into running obstacle courses. If I had never ridden a Harley before I probably would have loved it. Liked a couple of things but disliked more than I liked. Like you not being able to see the front fender/tire really bugged me. I did like the vibration a little (Nostalgia thing I guess).

Old 06-04-2009, 07:38 PM
99embrey
Tourer

I've been wanting to demo a streetglide myself. I've had serious thoughts on trading the standard in, but know if I did, I'd be walking funny after the trade, and I'm not talking about how the bike rides! LOL Anyway, I got a card in the mail yesterday saying if I'd come in and demo a bike, harley would send me a book (100 years of Harley), so I guess I have another excuse to take one out. I just dont want the salesman hounding me every day.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:46 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I love my old *** 2002. It's perfect for me. It would take years to get a new one to where mine is now. Imagine that. bagger? One day when I'm rich.

Old 06-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I rode my friends RoadGlide the other day and didn't like it at all. I was thinking of one as I like the 'Train for solo as it's too low for two-up. It rides very nice (RoadGlide) but it's a $ 20,000 vibrater, and yes can't see the wheel now I'm thinking of a Heritage, hey take off the frilly crap and you have a great bike there. I too not into studs and tasssles. Looks like a good 2-up bike,

Old 06-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Uh, your nuts... your NT is golden.
I had no plans whatsoever to trade mine. He-He...Thats what I'm gonna tell my Wife when the UPS guys arrives with my next set of bars... "But Honey I'm in a transition stage"!

Salesmen asked me if I would call him if I put it on the market as he thought he would like it.

I looked at him and told him I was considering a second bike for some longer road trips this summer and that he would not pry my dead hands from the grips on the coldest day in hell.

Oddly enough with my Badlander seat , crank up the *** end about an 1" and maybe a backpack I think I would rather just ride mine out west!

Lowered bikes handle better IMO. I felt tippity and up to high on the glide but the Heritage I could tell was an 1" or so away from bliss.....By gawd those seats they put on those are the thang!
I felt like I was taking a dump the way I had to sit on it.
How weird...I felt the same but didnt wanna post it! That stock Glide was like riding a shizter...A pretty smooth shizter once up to speed but a poopy experience at best.

Hammer107 whom I have mad respect for just bought an 09'...I figgered dang that Hammer is a crafty smart dude. Is he feeling something I wasnt? Nope...Hammer sorry I wont join you in thy Bagger section anytime soon!!!

I love my old *** 2002. It's perfect for me
Yeah I love mine too...Funky bars and all. It feels so right. I think I'll put 100K on that fvcker.

I've been wanting to demo a streetglide myself.
Do that and then tell us what cha thunk? Mebbe try a Heritage whilst youre there to compare? Man I dig the ride of the heritage better than the Glide. I must be a Spazwad. I would much rather tour on the Softail??? I didnt like the disconnected feeling of the Glide.

Gotta say the S.G. did handle better than mine does
Ya know....I raced bikes for years..Off Road enduros, Motocross, tryed my hand at Supermoto a couple years ago..Anyhow I think I could outbrake and get up under that Glide on my slammed Train and show that bike me tailight. Seriously...Maybe once the glide is lowered it would burn me but that bike stock to my Train? I would eat that fvcker up in the twisties...Its too scary to go fast on as the assend feels oddly disjointed and dosent track well. I would be scared to push that bike as hard as I push the chassis on my old beater. For real.

now I'm thinking of a Heritage, hey take off the frilly crap and you have a great bike there. I too not into studs and tasssles. Looks like a good 2-up bike,
I concur 110%....So I asked the guy where the basic Heritages were without all the "Schtuff". He said they had been discontinued...Go Figger?

Old 06-04-2009, 08:37 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

Took out a Street Glide on a whim an got smacked-down by the low windshield. The ride home on the Deluxe was pure heaven.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:37 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain

Had a Street Glide. Got my Bones a year later. I couldn't stand it any longer. You might as well be driving a droptop if you are gonna own a bike with CD, cruise, windshield, temp gauge.

I had forgotten what being on a bike felt like until I rode my Bones for the first time.

Quick Reply: Oops...Out doing some demo riding on the new 09's today!