Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick fix for fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009 | 10:21 PM
rotorhead
|
Cruiser
Wink Quick fix for fuel line

I have and 06 Deluxe and in the process of changing out my handlebars I broke the quick disconnect fitting from my fuel tank to the fuel injection. I barely moved my tank and the plastic fitting to the fuel injection broke. I called my local HD store and of course they didnt have it and it was 45 bucks. All I did is bought a new 5/16 fuel hose and hose clamp from autozone and installed it on the fuel injection side. I reused the metal quick disconnect fitting to the fuel tank and it works like a champ. It cost me under 10 bucks to fix my problem and was on the road in a day instead of two weeks. For those who are worried about the looks, you cant even see the small hose clamp because it is tucked away under the fuel tank. I hope this helps some people out.

Old 06-04-2009 | 01:10 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

Got any pics of it?
Lots of us have moved the tank 'just a little' and broke the line.
But when I did it there was no fixing it because it broke at the very end by the injectors.
It didn't leave anything to put a hose or clamp on.
But I would be interested in seeing how you did it, just in case I get another case of the stupids and break it again.

Old 06-04-2009 | 05:35 AM
rotorhead
|
Cruiser

I will take some picts for show and tell. When I removed the cheesy quick disconnect fitting from the fuel injection there is a small tube that is showing. I simply slid a new fuel hose and hose clamp onto it and clamped it down. I will take photos, a picture is worth a thousand words.

Old 06-04-2009 | 06:47 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace

Did it break at the tank end or the injector end?
I have seen several lines that were broken, mine included and they all broke at the injector end and didn't leave enough sticking out to hook anything too.
In fact mine broke off flush with the fitting and I had to use a spring hook to get the little piece out so I could install the new line.
What annoys me most is I lost the little piece.
If I had it I could have used a friends lathe to make a new longer one out of brass or stainless steel and used some pressure line the way you did.
Might even make up a few extras for other guy's to use when they break theirs. Cause it does seem to be a very common problem.

Old 06-04-2009 | 06:47 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

i did the same and looked for the delfi fitting. the replacement hose is a one peice that is molded so you cant replace the hose. if you did what you said keep in mine 2 issues, you need to have fuel line rated for injector and with the quick disconect on the fuel injector. the next time something breaks it will be the fuel injector and that will cost way over the $45.

Old 06-04-2009 | 07:51 PM
rotorhead
|
Cruiser

TK the fuel hose is replaceable on my model, each end has a hose clamp. When you say fuel line rated for the injector, do you mean the psi rating? If so, the fuel line is rated at 50 psi which is plenty and I dont think that line is pressurized. If it is pressurized it isn,t much.

Old 06-04-2009 | 07:57 PM
rbabos
Banned

Originally Posted by rotorhead
TK the fuel hose is replaceable on my model, each end has a hose clamp. When you say fuel line rated for the injector, do you mean the psi rating? If so, the fuel line is rated at 50 psi which is plenty and I dont think that line is pressurized. If it is pressurized it isn,t much.
I think you are talking about the crossover line. The tank to tb is pressured to 45-50 psi.
Ron

Old 06-04-2009 | 08:06 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

there is fuel line and then there is fuel injected fuel line. it is preasurised as it is after the fuel pump. you need to make sure the hose is rated for fuel injection. the specs are 55 to 62 psi in the harley manual and that is the spec for the fuel preasure and not the hose. it can rupture on you if you dont get the right hose. it can be found at most auto parts store

Old 06-04-2009 | 08:30 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by rotorhead
I have and 06 Deluxe and in the process of changing out my handlebars I broke the quick disconnect fitting from my fuel tank to the fuel injection. I barely moved my tank and the plastic fitting to the fuel injection broke. I called my local HD store and of course they didnt have it and it was 45 bucks. All I did is bought a new 5/16 fuel hose and hose clamp from autozone and installed it on the fuel injection side. I reused the metal quick disconnect fitting to the fuel tank and it works like a champ. It cost me under 10 bucks to fix my problem and was on the road in a day instead of two weeks. For those who are worried about the looks, you cant even see the small hose clamp because it is tucked away under the fuel tank. I hope this helps some people out.
i think i may have located the quick disconnect.
http://store.summitracing.com:80/par...5&autoview=sku

Old 06-04-2009 | 09:20 PM
rotorhead
|
Cruiser

That is the culprit. HD wants 45.00 bucks for a new line.

Quick Reply: Quick fix for fuel line