Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery problems on 06 Softail??

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:24 PM
Curious.Yogurt
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Battery problems on 06 Softail??

Last Sunday I started up my bike just to see the battery and engine-check lights come on (o/t: I thought the carbureted FLST's did not have a battery light in the speedo??). I then checked the DTC and indeed, it showed the code P0562-battery voltage low. I didn't drive the bike the whole week (out of town) until today. I deleted the code and started up the bike and it did the same as last Sunday.
Now, my question is, while I can't rule out yet that it's not a bad battery, has anyone heard of problems with the Softails that can cause this? I think the 06 Dynas had some related problems, but the Softails?
Also, the reason why I think (hope) that it's not the battery itself is because: a) the battery is less than 8 months old, and b) I had it sitting for a week with the alarm on and I would think that that would completely discharge a low battery (which is not the case since my bike started right up).

Old 05-30-2009, 08:37 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Start with easy stuff and work your way to the more unlikely stuff.

Check connections. If the battery is relatively new its possible you simply have a loose connection.

If connections appear good to go, take the battery to Autozone or other parts place or battery shop and have the battery checked. They will tell you if the battery is good or not.

From there you can start to trace the charging system, voltage regulator, and so on.

I've noticed some power drain with my softies sitting for a week or two without starting. Never had the battery light come on but have heard it strain a little to turn over.

My money is on loose connections. Good luck.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:58 PM
Curious.Yogurt
Novice

Thanks for the reply!

I finally got around to checking the connections, and they seem good. I checked the voltage across the battery with the bike on/not running, and I got 12.4Volt. I drive the bike nearly every day (to work ), and according to the manual the battery voltage should be 12.5-12.7V when not running. So I'm guessing it's the battery, but I havent done any further testing.

One last note, when the engine-check light + battery light come on it is usually 10 seconds or so after I start the bike with the throttle open a little. Another pointer that it might be the battery?

Old 06-19-2009, 10:36 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

do U use a tender for winter storage..???

Old 06-26-2009, 10:26 PM
Curious.Yogurt
Novice

I just bought the bike about a month ago. I don't know if the guy I bought it from used one. The only thing I know about the battery is that it's less than a year old, and that the bike wasn't driven much (it's a 2006 with 4200mi when I bought it - go figure)