Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Tail of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles)!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:18 AM
Slayer dude
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah we leave in ten days from Grand Rapids. Cant wait. Ill be the guy doing the boring speed limit, I don't see myself pushing the limit. The way we planned it we just happen to be there on the weekend though, every year we always leave GR on Thursday morning and come home Monday night, to limit days off work. Oh well....

Old 05-30-2009, 06:22 AM
Slayer dude
Road Captain

I should have said that every year is a different trip so this is my first time going south.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:30 AM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark g
I really don't get the dragon thing. I've seen video's of Cops at every corner just waiting to bust people. I'd rather ride right here in PA. Plenty of windy mountain roads around here with out the hassel.

just search youtube for video's, you'll see!
That doesn't happen often at all. There are usually ZERO LEOs on the Dragon and when they do decide to crack down every now and then, it's highly publicized and everyone knows about it in advance.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:37 AM
FLHX08
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I went there in 06 and rode it 3 times, twice in one day due to where I wsa staying on second night of my trip. Robinsville, NC at the twowheelinn. I've just in the last week read on the tail of the dragon web site that camcorders with display being left on is a ticket but if they see your camcorder mounted on your bike you'll get a ticket and have to be back there for court appearance to fight it. the site also said they've cut down on the TN state police presence due to the loss of state revenue from all the tickets they previously handed out. killboy is another site with lots of pics.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:42 AM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHX08
I went there in 06 and rode it 3 times, twice in one day due to where I wsa staying on second night of my trip. Robinsville, NC at the twowheelinn. I've just in the last week read on the tail of the dragon web site that camcorders with display being left on is a ticket but if they see your camcorder mounted on your bike you'll get a ticket and have to be back there for court appearance to fight it. the site also said they've cut down on the TN state police presence due to the loss of state revenue from all the tickets they previously handed out. killboy is another site with lots of pics.
Yeah! I've stayed at the Two Wheel Inn three times. I really like having my own little bike garage beside my room so I can lock up the bike at night. And the couple that runs the place (Barry and Linda) are really nice/sociable, too. I'm gonna get back out that way again this September and plan to stay at the Two Wheel Inn again.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:31 AM
Heritage123
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been going down there for years. Not nearly as fun as it used to be. Used to be you'd never see a leo, but over the last few years I've been there weekdays and weekends - all you see is cops, everywhere. Also, they've lowered the speed limit to 35, which has made it more scenic than challenging.

I always enjoy the Cherohala and the ride over the mountain to Cherokee.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:14 AM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Six Gunner
Really good ride elevation on skyway goes right up to about 6000 feet.
Steve
6053 feet to be precise.

Old 05-30-2009, 09:28 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 516 Likes on 352 Posts

Originally Posted by OhioSkully
group of us are leaving to go down sunday july 5th get there monday and hang out till wed already got room booked at Deals gap.

I was down there last year for week and half with the kids rented a cabin overlooking gatlinburg. There are alot of nice roads down there so take time to see some other sites. Another nice ride is New found Gap it runs from gatlinburg to the top of the smokies and down into cherokee nc. up at the top the got a nice place to stop and your on the tenn/nc state line and there is also place called Clingmans Dome on the same road its a 1/2 mile walk straight up hill on a paved walking path to a large concrete dome you go up that you can look all out over the vallies its the highest point like 6,680 ft i believe.

And if you like wild life theres a place called Cades Cove its a loop thru the lush valley and when we were there we saw lot of deer and animals and one big black bear and another with its cub. neat place.

alot of neat stuff and scenery down there gatlinburg and piegon forge are tourist traps so just by pass them and get out in the country

I cant wait to go back.
Gonna just miss you...4 of us are heading out Wed July 8 with reservations at Two Wheel Inn on Thursday-Friday. Gonna take BRP homeward. Can't wait!

Old 05-30-2009, 01:05 PM
Slayer dude
Road Captain

Two wheel inn...thats where we are staying.

Old 05-30-2009, 04:24 PM
NightTrainRob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive rode the "Dragons tail" several times, and have been ticketed on several things, all was on the TN side, if you go just make sure your legal and dont have anything on your bike that isn't illegal.

Its a great ride, just be safe

Quick Reply: The Tail of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles)!!