Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Tail of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles)!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 11:00 PM
Six Gunner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to check out the Cherohala Skyway also. You can do a loop with it and the dragon. It is about 160 miles total. Really good ride elevation on skyway goes right up to about 6000 feet. Good scenery. Will be headed there myself in a month or so. We ride in the fall there and you can't beat it. If you are going for a few days it is a lot less crowded during the week, not as many rockets, I usually take both bikes (Fatboy and Rocket) when I go so that I can enjoy the best of both worlds. Ride once at night also that is a real blast, road is deserted and no law dawgs hanging out either.

Steve

Old 05-29-2009, 11:01 PM
wheely
Tourer

The restuarant and gift shop at the end of the dragon actually have t-shirts with "DragonSlayer" on them.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:03 PM
wheely
Tourer

Six Gunner is right......alot less traffic and LAW thru the week.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:07 PM
speedsnice
Tourer

I want to go but I am taking my crotch rocket and full leathers to make the best out of the turns.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:15 PM
DragonSlayer08
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the suggestions we will be sure to check them all out.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:39 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

group of us are leaving to go down sunday july 5th get there monday and hang out till wed already got room booked at Deals gap.

I was down there last year for week and half with the kids rented a cabin overlooking gatlinburg. There are alot of nice roads down there so take time to see some other sites. Another nice ride is New found Gap it runs from gatlinburg to the top of the smokies and down into cherokee nc. up at the top the got a nice place to stop and your on the tenn/nc state line and there is also place called Clingmans Dome on the same road its a 1/2 mile walk straight up hill on a paved walking path to a large concrete dome you go up that you can look all out over the vallies its the highest point like 6,680 ft i believe.

And if you like wild life theres a place called Cades Cove its a loop thru the lush valley and when we were there we saw lot of deer and animals and one big black bear and another with its cub. neat place.

alot of neat stuff and scenery down there gatlinburg and piegon forge are tourist traps so just by pass them and get out in the country

I cant wait to go back.

Old 05-29-2009, 11:47 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 05-30-2009, 05:38 AM
raaaaaa
Road Master

friend of mine just got back from there last week and saw 3 harleys go down between the tail of the dragon and skyline drive....it is a great ride as long as you realize that you are on a harley not rocket, if you can come to terms with that you will have a great ride.

allot of guys go on there with there 110 engines making a ton of noise and going down trying to keep up the the jap bikes flying by theme 3 at a time

Old 05-30-2009, 05:49 AM
Shag67
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, I've been there four times so far. You'll love it but take the advice to be sure to ride the Cherohala Skyway while you're there. It's got a much better view and it's a more relaxing ride. And when you're on the Dragon STAY ON YOUR SIDE OF THE YELLOW LINE.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:07 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

I really don't get the dragon thing. I've seen video's of Cops at every corner just waiting to bust people. I'd rather ride right here in PA. Plenty of windy mountain roads around here with out the hassel.

just search youtube for video's, you'll see!

Quick Reply: The Tail of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles)!!