Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Exhaust Air and Fuel For the "Mechanically Declined"

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:22 PM
BuckeyeBiker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rocker Exhaust Air and Fuel For the "Mechanically Declined"

Hello, all. I am planning on purchasing a bike from a fellow forum member (a Rocker C) and it's straight stock. I would love to add some V&H BRs to it (way down the road as money will be tight after purchase). I've done numerous searches and have determined that, if I add the pipes, I'll also need a Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner and a fuel mapping (?). My question is this- I want to try to find the proper parts at the best prices through classifieds and eBay, and have the dealer install. I know the pipes are specific to the bike, what about the AC and the fuel mapping? Also, for this bike, I've seen some bikes that have the BRs and no AC coming from the sticking out from the side of the bike. Are there filters that fit in the stock compartment and are there any problems with this type as opposed to the kind that stick out? Also, I installed some forward controls on my previous bike (**ahem**Honda Shadow**ahem**). How difficult is it to do with this bike? And if I'm able to remove the pipes, is it as easy as reinstalling the new ones? Finally, how hard is it to install the AC and what is absolutely necessary? In other words, if it is easy to install the pipes, will the bike be okay until I get the filter installed? Then, if I can install the AC, how quickly will I have to get it mapped? Sorry for the long post and all of the questions... I just don't want to do anything to the bike that may damage it. My first Harley. Thank you in advance.

Old 05-28-2009, 10:03 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Originally Posted by BuckeyeBiker
I've done numerous searches and have determined that, if I add the pipes, I'll also need a Screaming Eagle Air Cleaner and a fuel mapping (?).
Some form of Fuel management is a great recommendation. You don't nessesarily need SE parts.

My question is this- I want to try to find the proper parts at the best prices through classifieds and eBay, and have the dealer install. I know the pipes are specific to the bike, what about the AC and the fuel mapping?
Carefull with buying fuel managment tuners such as SERT/SEPST/TTS off of Flea Bay these devices are tied to bikes by VIN number and if used on a bike can't be used on another bike.

Also, for this bike, I've seen some bikes that have the BRs and no AC coming from the sticking out from the side of the bike. Are there filters that fit in the stock compartment and are there any problems with this type as opposed to the kind that stick out?
The backplate makes for most of the restrictive air flow, the football can stay in a highflow AC, but the filter and back plate get switched out.

Also, I installed some forward controls on my previous bike (**ahem**Honda Shadow**ahem**). How difficult is it to do with this bike?
I assume you mean Extensions to your forward controls? You can get extension plates that move your stockers forward of whole new assemblies that move the pegs forward. Typlically about 3" and usually require new brake lines and shift linkages.

And if I'm able to remove the pipes, is it as easy as reinstalling the new ones?
Ya, pretty much. torque wrench and some new gaskets, little loctite and antisieze and your off to the races

Finally, how hard is it to install the AC and what is absolutely necessary? In other words, if it is easy to install the pipes, will the bike be okay until I get the filter installed? Then, if I can install the AC, how quickly will I have to get it mapped?
AC is easier than pipes and involve a couple of screws.
If you just install pipes and no AC you CAN run with out the Fuel managment, its always a good recommendation to get fuel management but it wouldn't be required at this stage. However you may notice decel pop and some excess heat with little higer AFR. Plan on doing the A/C and Fuel managment together. In general AC+Exhaust requires fuel managment to ensure proper AFR and prevent damage to your engine from extended Lean, High Heat conditions.

Hope that helped. I'm not an expert just do my own tuning...

Last edited by Zacharia_11; 05-28-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 05-28-2009, 10:08 PM
BuckeyeBiker
Cruiser

Great post, thanks Zacharia!

Old 05-29-2009, 12:04 AM
m i k e
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

buy service manual $60.00
do it all yourself
i gat a sert works nice,rides nice
performance good,have dealer do the tuning w/sert or map
loudness v&h good
congrats

Old 05-29-2009, 12:45 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

Zach covered it fairly well and Mike's recommendation for getting a service manual is excellent advise.
However I would add getting a parts manual also, if for no other reason than the exploded drawings.
They can be a big help for anyone unfamiliar with the way the parts of a Harley fit together.
Yes you can put a set of pipes on without fooling around with the ECM's maps.
But mess with the intake and you WILL have to do something to richen up the mixture or you WILL damage the engine.
Now HOW you do it is going to be up to you and your wallet.
If you don't plan on doing any future internal engine modifications then a PC-V or a Fuel Pac or even a SERT will work fine.
The SERT has a couple of advantages that are not immediately apparent until you start comparing things, especially on something like a Rocker that has limited space under the electronics cover.

The first is that it doesn't take up any extra room like a PC-V or a Fuel Pac will. Its a plug in interface for a laptop or desktop computer and doesn't stay on the bike.

The second is that it will also allow you to modify a lot more map parameters than you can with an add-on box that only modifies the fuel injector output control signals.

So future engine mods are well within its capabilities if you change your mind and decide you want to do more engine work later on.

The other add-on boxes can do it too, but IMHO they don't do as good a job the farther away from stock you get.

There are better options out there, like a ThunderMax, especially w/Autotune.
But they generally cost a LOT more and may not be worth the expense if you don't have plans for later upgrades.

Old 05-29-2009, 06:19 AM
BuckeyeBiker
Cruiser

Great info all around, guys. Thank you!

And Citor, thank you for serving our country. I was not around for Vietnam, but am starting to appreciate history. I watched what I thought was a good movie about Nam last week- Rescue Dawn. I obviously wasn't there, but it gave me a scope of the intensity in that war. Anyway, no matter the capacity, thank you for your service.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:16 PM
BuckeyeBiker
Cruiser

Hey all, I've been looking around the net for a SERT, and can't seem to find them. Is this a Harley-only item? Is there a model number I should find for a Rocker C specifically? And the service manual from the dealer only I take it? Thank you for the advice.

Last edited by BuckeyeBiker; 05-31-2009 at 02:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:35 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

Its avalable from dealers and sometimes on e-bay. Just make sure you get the latest version (think its up to -09 now).
The SERT setup is not model specific and will work on ALL models of Harley's that have the Delphi EFI system installed in it.
Just make sure that if you get one off e-bay or any non Harley source that its never ben used. As once used it gets 'married' to the VIN number of the bike and is usless on any other bike.

Old 05-31-2009, 02:39 PM
BuckeyeBiker
Cruiser

Excellent. Thanks, Citori!

Old 05-31-2009, 02:53 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

Check your local dealer for a price (plus tax if any) and part number than use that number on Chicago HD and the Zenotti web sites to see if you can save some money ordering from one of them.
They give a 10 to 20% discount for on line orders, but beware of the shipping costs.
With them added in it might not be as great a deal as it seems, but it should still be better.