Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009 | 10:46 AM
Morphius
|
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy GPS?

Anyone knows a good online retail that will sell a GPS for my Fatboy for a good price? I also need to buy a bracket to install it.

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2009 | 11:09 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I bought my Zumo, I used Pricegrabber mainly to keep an eye on prices. Ended up buying from Abe's of Maine as they had a killer price briefly, and I've purchased from them several times before.

The Zumo's come with the RAM Mount system...very nice indeed.

Go HERE to find out everything you need to know about Zumo's.

Old 05-27-2009 | 04:16 PM
Morphius
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
When I bought my Zumo, I used Pricegrabber mainly to keep an eye on prices. Ended up buying from Abe's of Maine as they had a killer price briefly, and I've purchased from them several times before.

The Zumo's come with the RAM Mount system...very nice indeed.

Go HERE to find out everything you need to know about Zumo's.
Thanks, I am checking this now.

Old 05-27-2009 | 04:18 PM
Morphius
|
Intermediate

Which Zumo will work the best?

Old 05-27-2009 | 04:23 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I picked up the Tom Tom Rider after I bought the Tom Tom for my wife's van (boy is that a marriage saver!) I love it and it is blue tooth capable, water proof and has all the mounting hardware you will need. MSRP is like 600.00 Best buy sales them for 400.00 but I got one on sale from them for 300.00.

Good luck

Old 05-27-2009 | 04:29 PM
Morphius
|
Intermediate

ok, so I realize its the zumo 550. Which helmet will work with the bluetooth? It will be cool it hear the GPS's voice and to talk on the phone. Anyone is using a bluetooth helmet?

Old 05-27-2009 | 04:37 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Not likely that you can hear the voice commands, or use bluetooth while on a motorcycle, so lots of extra features may not be of use. You can pick up a basic used Garmin Nuvi for $80-$100 on Craigslist, then get a handlebar mount off eBay. Bag the thing if in the rain so you will not need a waterproof model. Wire a cig lighter plug, with fuse, to power the gadget.

Old 05-27-2009 | 06:00 PM
Morphius
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dorkman
Not likely that you can hear the voice commands, or use bluetooth while on a motorcycle, so lots of extra features may not be of use. You can pick up a basic used Garmin Nuvi for $80-$100 on Craigslist, then get a handlebar mount off eBay. Bag the thing if in the rain so you will not need a waterproof model. Wire a cig lighter plug, with fuse, to power the gadget.
According to their website, it is bluetooth enabled.

Old 05-27-2009 | 06:15 PM
BigSeaDaddy
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dorkman
Depends on if you are using a full face or a half shell. Most of your high end helmets are able to be wired with bluetooth. Nolan has a helmet that has a spot that you can insert the whole bluetooth system into it. Course this is a little pricy.

I were a full face Shoei after the last laydown (may not be "cool" but I nearly left four kids and wife and will never ride with out one again) and I have a "blue ant" in mine that allows me to talk to my wife on the back, other riding buddies, cell phone, I POD and GPS all hands free. That said I use this feature maybe once twice a year. You can see your turns coming up pretty easy on the Tom Tom display and it is really a pain in the butt getting all that stuff synced up.

I suggest the water proof model unless you are very careful. I can not tell you the amount of times that I pulled over at a dinner on a long trip and to come out to a wet bike from a freak rain shower.

Good luck

Old 05-27-2009 | 06:37 PM
CruzN
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

If price is a consideration, check out the Garmin Nuvi 750.
I got it at Sam's Club for $199. It lets you save routes and download them from Google Maps.

As for mounting, got to http://www.cyclegadgets.com and look at the Ram Mounts.
They are the best mounts in my opinion.

Quick Reply: Where to buy GPS?