Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where to buy GPS?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009 | 08:49 PM
ngoti8tor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a clean install with no bulk, check out the ram mount I bought on eBay for my Garmin nuvi 760.

Attached Thumbnails Where to buy GPS?-ram-mount.jpg   Where to buy GPS?-img_0356.jpg   Where to buy GPS?-img_0357.jpg   Where to buy GPS?-img_0367.jpg   Where to buy GPS?-img_0368.jpg  

Old 05-27-2009 | 11:28 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Being an old f*rt, I like having the wife riding two up, but don't need to talk to her every minute, nor take phone calls, or yak with the group, but respect the needs of each rider. Seems to me that if the convenience is expensive, hard to sync, and infrequently used, then I wonder why. GPS is a good idea for long rides in unfamiliar areas, and a cell phone is fine for emergencies...or just as a convenience. For this I would pay a few bucks, but not jump in whole hog. IMO.

Old 05-27-2009 | 11:54 PM
Morphius
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
If you want a clean install with no bulk, check out the ram mount I bought on eBay for my Garmin nuvi 760.
This is slick, I like it a lot.

Old 05-28-2009 | 07:33 AM
cactus789
Road Captain

Thats nice, I have to get me one of those!!!

Old 05-28-2009 | 10:11 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I do not wear a helmet. I use some nice V-Moda Vibe Duo ear buds to listen to music and the GPS. I can hear both just fine, very well in fact.

Keep this in mind: The 550, while it does do BT, does not do STEREO BT. So, if you plan to listen to music on it (most folks do) then you'll need a wired headset...otherwise it'll sound like an old AM radio.

The new Zumo 660 does do stereo BT via A2DP.

So, if you plan to go completely wireless, get the new 660.

Old 05-28-2009 | 10:22 AM
Joe Diver
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dorkman
GPS is a good idea for long rides in unfamiliar areas, and a cell phone is fine for emergencies...
My Zumo has become a very nice addition to the bike.

I mainly use it to listen to music while I'm riding. It'll recognize up to 1000 MP3's I have loaded on the SD card.

I also have 35k+ custom points of interest loaded, including Red Light Cameras, Speed Cameras, and Speed Traps. I have those three set to audibly alert me, so that when I approach one the music will fade, alert is announced, and the music comes back.

It is very nice to plan a route on my Mac using Roadtrip, loading it to the Zumo, then while riding it will interrupt my music and tell me when/where to turn next....never have to look at it.

If I'm lost and want to go home, "Where To" then "Home" and it'll route me home...I can ride down any road I see and if I don't feel like finding my way home (I usually do though) I can let Jill tell me how to get there.

If I'm hungry, I just punch up Food and it'll sort nearby places into catagories and present me with restaurants....just select one and it'll take me there.

Same thing if I need gas....just punch up gas stations, select one and it'll take me there.

It really has become a valuable accessory....could I live without it? Of course...but why? It's awesome....

Old 05-28-2009 | 12:29 PM
Morphius
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Joe Diver
I do not wear a helmet. I use some nice V-Moda Vibe Duo ear buds to listen to music and the GPS. I can hear both just fine, very well in fact.

Keep this in mind: The 550, while it does do BT, does not do STEREO BT. So, if you plan to listen to music on it (most folks do) then you'll need a wired headset...otherwise it'll sound like an old AM radio.

The new Zumo 660 does do stereo BT via A2DP.

So, if you plan to go completely wireless, get the new 660.
What is A2DP? Thanks for all the detailed information, you have helped me a lot. I am trying to built the right system for myself.

Old 05-28-2009 | 12:30 PM
Morphius
|
Intermediate

From what I can see the 660 is really big. Not sure I like the size too much. I own a Fatboy, not sure how it is going to look on it.

Old 05-28-2009 | 01:30 PM
harley57
Cruiser

Just bought a Garmin Streetpilot 2820 fro amazon for about 350.00. It is waterproof and made for bikes. You can buy an ear bud to plug into the unit and then into your ear to ear voice commands...Haven't put it on the bike yet...

Old 05-28-2009 | 02:05 PM
Dorkman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Now that is a nice setup! I also like the way the chrome toppers clean up the Allen heads and the fork tubes. Lookin good.

Quick Reply: Where to buy GPS?