Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle cabel adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 AM
roofgunner
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle cabel adjustment

I wanted to pass on this observation regarding throttle cable adjustment: I decided to check the lubrication on the throttle grip on my 07 Softail Heritage because I never had it off before and I'm getting the bike ready for coast to coast runs, etc., this summer. When I got it back together and reading the manual (2007 Softail:Maint 1-47-48 Throttle Cables 1.24) I saw that they had an adjustment procedure and since I had zeroed out the cable adjustments at the grip, I figured I'd better go through the adjustment procedure per the book. What I observed was a change in where the adjustments were before and after. I can't say for sure but I think the throttle was not opening up all the way and none of these adjustments have been touched, at least not by me and or the shop, so I'm thinking that the bike came from the factory this way. I called the shop, as they did one service (1000 mile), and the mech said it's possible that the bike came that way and that normally they don't check something like that. What is boils down to is that I couldn't get full power. I don't run the bike hard so I probably wouldn't have noticed it. I wish I would have checked it before doing anything, but I didn't. It is correct now, per the manual. The throttle cam is supposed to be adjusted by the throttle cable adjuster just until it touches the cam stop. This enables the butterfly to fully open. I just thought I'd report this because it's easy to see with a flashlight by looking behind the air cleaner.

Old 05-27-2009, 08:58 AM
danfrompa
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good post! I will check mine again tonight....