Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmisson oil change

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2009 | 08:42 AM
Mark g
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by tk353
mine was milky white. i changed to bel ray and never had issue before
I use Bel ray for the trans and no wine or clank and I can find neutral. I use Motor Factory® Primary Case Lube in the primary. because Amsoil has gone up so much I just switched to Mobil 1 for vtwin and it works as good. I have 36,000 miles in about 1.5 years and it runs great and no debris in the oil changes.
http://www.belray.com/consumer/product.fsp?pid=13637
http://www.customchrome.com/dcm/cc/view.asp?mfoil.html
LOL, how many times have you copied and pasted that response? LOL! I know i've seen it before.

It was stock HD tranny fluid, I have complete confidence in the new product I put in the bike.(Klotz) They have a top notch reputation.

just thought it odd, because my bike lives in a heated garage,hasn't been exposed to any drastic weather changes. I did get caught in the rain the other day, but only for 2 or 3 minutes,about 2 miles from home.

Old 05-27-2009 | 08:46 AM
Mark g
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaddyKnuck
Hard to tell with some of the responses whether the writer is serious or not,
LOL! yeh i'm pullin your fockin leg! Actually I'm a troll

Old 05-27-2009 | 08:53 AM
roofgunner
Cruiser

I suppose it could happen in a motorcycle but in the gearcase, and hydraulics of my AC180 Tractor, which holds allot of fluid, water condenses in there due to temp change, etc., even though it's stored inside. So, depending on the temp. flucuations maybe there was some condensation in there. ???????

Old 05-27-2009 | 08:59 AM
Mark g
|
Outstanding HDF Member

water definatly got in. my plan is to ride it a couple days and change it again just to make sure it all get's flushed out. if it happens again in a short period, I'll let HD deal with it.

Old 05-27-2009 | 09:08 AM
danfrompa
Intermediate

I think its normal. It is milky because of viscousity and tan due to heat (which is normal). I wouldn't worry about it... I don't think water got in there, although condensation is unavoidable anywhere there is a heat....... You would know right away if there were excessive water (oil and water don't mix so you would see water floating after you drain your tranny oil....- density of oil is greater so water would be at the top.)... Next time, drop a cup of water on top of dirty/drained gear oil! You will see what water would look.....

Old 05-27-2009 | 11:42 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mark g
LOL, how many times have you copied and pasted that response? LOL! I know i've seen it before.

maybe some day i will learn to type. untill then cut and paiste

Last edited by tk353; 05-27-2009 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-27-2009 | 11:56 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by danfrompa
I think its normal. It is milky because of viscousity and tan due to heat (which is normal). I wouldn't worry about it... I don't think water got in there, although condensation is unavoidable anywhere there is a heat....... You would know right away if there were excessive water (oil and water don't mix so you would see water floating after you drain your tranny oil....- density of oil is greater so water would be at the top.)... Next time, drop a cup of water on top of dirty/drained gear oil! You will see what water would look.....
Where you live water floats on oil?

Old 05-27-2009 | 01:26 PM
danfrompa
Intermediate

OK, may be not floating.... It will be at the top where you can tell if there were excessive water.... (in your drain pan...)

Old 05-27-2009 | 02:41 PM
Mark g
|
Outstanding HDF Member

Oil is sitting in the drain pan from last night, I'll be checking it later when I get home.

I believe if it is water it will seperate.

Old 05-27-2009 | 02:46 PM
priceamp
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Mark g
I gotta think something ain't right.

I've only had the bike for alittle over 2 months. She's only got just over 3000 miles and the oil was suppose to have been changed at the 1000 mile service 3 weeks ago.
The 19 year old apprentice who worked on your bike probably smoked a bowl on his break and forgot to change your tranny oil. Buy a service manual and don’t let them touch your bike again.

Quick Reply: Transmisson oil change