Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rebuilding a Cross Bones from the ground up.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009 | 10:56 PM
C. Numb
|
Road Captain
Default Rebuilding a Cross Bones from the ground up.

As some of you may know, my XBONES was wrecked a couple of days ago. I towed it to the dealership today and they said it may be totaled. Whether it is, or it isn't, the crash was 100% the fault of the cager. The police report says so, her insurance company acknowledged this, and she even got a ticket for careless driving. So I wont feel bad about having this bike made EXACTLY the way I want it.

I put a hold on my Shade Tree rear fender because I may get one of the custom paint sets. I like this one a lot, so I need the fender to match. I am also considering beach bars or monkey bars. I've got a lot to think about. Any suggestions on other upgrades that may come in handy or add style to my bike?

Old 05-21-2009 | 11:34 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain

Well, I have that paint set so I have a bunch of pics I can send you. My Bones looks awesome with that paint. It is the one thing that really set it off. I would have paid double for it knowing what it really looked like besides the one little photo. It is also what I get asked about the most too besides the Springer front end.

Sorry to hear about your bike.

Old 05-22-2009 | 04:52 AM
C. Numb
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by HDChloe
Well, I have that paint set so I have a bunch of pics I can send you. My Bones looks awesome with that paint. It is the one thing that really set it off. I would have paid double for it knowing what it really looked like besides the one little photo. It is also what I get asked about the most too besides the Springer front end.

Sorry to hear about your bike.
That would be great. Kyle couldn't really get a good feel for the paint job from the pic on the website. This may really help.
Thanks.

Old 05-22-2009 | 09:04 AM
cammy5477
Road Captain

dude im gutted for you
what happened?
its a pisser right now but getting your bike changed to exactly the way you want is nice.
i reversed in to mine the other night in my van (doh) knocked it of the stand and on to the ground. done very little damage which i was very surprised about just got lucky this time i guess.

Old 05-22-2009 | 09:08 AM
hspring03
Elite HDF Member

If it's totaled, take the money and get a new bike....

If you buy it back from the insurance company, it will have a salvage title..Then you will have many headaches in the future..Not to mention a possible unsafe bike...ie, bent or cracked frame...

Old 05-22-2009 | 09:15 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Salvaged titled bike suck assbox. May be best to let them total it and take yer money.

Progressive insures all my mods up to 5 grand I think? They insured my old turd train for like 17 grand. If it was ever wrecked and had a salvaged title and I could own it durty cheap??? Mines an older bike tho. I dont think having an 08-09 with a salvaged title would be good especially since you plan on putting a slew of cashola into it and its still close enough to a stocker to start over??

Man that sucks...

Old 05-22-2009 | 11:23 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor

Originally Posted by hspring03
If it's totaled, take the money and get a new bike....

If you buy it back from the insurance company, it will have a salvage title..Then you will have many headaches in the future..Not to mention a possible unsafe bike...ie, bent or cracked frame...
Never had a problem with salvaged bikes myself. Bought several back from insurance and used the rest of the cash to fix and buy new bikes. Just my opinion, but it all depends on you. Now SELLING a salvage bike sucks bollocks, but if you plan on keeping it...

that shade tree fender is wicked. Nice bit on it in AI this month.

Old 05-22-2009 | 11:45 AM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

I can see the salvaged title argument....
what is damaged??? If there is any major font end, or frame damage I would start looking for something new...
Maybe a Shadetree Blackwood Special???

but.... if you plan on keeping it... and you can do most of the work yourself I would go for it....

I like the HD grind paint...
I would like to do something similar on my XB....I just have to find the right painter

Old 05-22-2009 | 12:55 PM
Trailer
Cruiser

there is a percentage factor in determining wether they are going to salvage your bike.

If the frame is bent, i would not rebuild the bike, start with a new bike

your shop should be working with your insurance adjuster, the goal is to push that $$ right up to the nut before they total the bike, get the check then rebuild your bike how you want it.

you probly will have to kick some $$ into the project,

And do not, i repeat do not sign that check over till the bike is done.

Old 05-22-2009 | 11:38 PM
C. Numb
|
Road Captain

So how exactly does this work? I was lead to believe if they didn't total it, they would replace the frame and front end but they would use the same engine, which does not appear to be damaged. The insurance company I am going through is strictly car insurance. Can I trust them to make the right decision? If they make the wrong decision, can I go back to my insurance company and handle the claim through them?

Quick Reply: Rebuilding a Cross Bones from the ground up.