Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freeway speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:30 PM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Freeway speed

Hey all, just kinda curious about this for some reason. Living in So Cal, and riding on the freeways with all the cages can get down right stupid at times. Lots of morons out there driving and doing their thing, usually totally oblivious to us bikers. For me personally when Im by myself, I ride in the fast lane, or car pool lane between 80 - 85 mph, when it is safe of course. My thoughts are, they can only broadside me on one side when riding this way, and I have a good visual of things happening. That speed seems to be fast enough to keep from being run over, plus my NT seems to be real happy there too.

So what kind of speeds do you all roll at on a typical ride on the freeway ? I ride almost every day to work and try to take the back roads so Im not having to ride like a bat out of hell everytime, but you cant stay off the freeways for long here.

Old 05-21-2009, 10:50 PM
refuzeandrezizt
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's about the speed I usually roll, on the four lanes here, back and forth to work. Only problem here, the speed limit is 55. I got lucky the other day, got popped doing 90 on my way to work, and the state trooper was in a good mood. He dropped it down to 75 in a 55. When I am cruising though, I usually stay on the back roads and roll along about 55 to 65. Like you though, my bike seems to like that 80 plus range, it seems to just cruise right along.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:51 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts
Thumbs up

At Grandma's and my age, I didn't know 90 or so was good rolling speed....
I get my ears pulled on by the rider sitting behind me if I go over 65.

That why I got the detach rear pad and seat bib for the special time she goes out with her friends

Old 05-22-2009, 12:06 AM
HDBassman
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am in Northern California. I use the left lane for the same reason, to keep the traffic on my right, and I go as fast as i need to, usually 75 to 80.

Old 05-22-2009, 12:11 AM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I try to keep it under 70, and slower if possible. I don't care if cars go flying by me. No rush anymore. A lot of it has to do with the speed of traffic around me.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:38 AM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll either ride in the far right or far left lanes, the middle s**ks. Speed depends on where I'm going and the mood I'm in. For the most part I'm not in a hurry to go anywhere

Old 05-22-2009, 07:05 AM
gp42gpw
Advanced

When I had my crouch rocket 80-100 ++ was the norm. I got pinched one day doing 110 in a 55 but smokey was in a good mood and gave me 75. With age comes wisdom they say and I have slowed allot and I am in no hurry these days. It all depends on the conditions of the day there are days on the way to work if you are not running 70+ you will get run over (this is all in a 55) but for me normal interstate speeds are around 65-70.
05 Deuce

Old 05-22-2009, 08:06 AM
gulfpits
Cruiser

Around Houston I am pacing the traffic and just speed up as needed to keep my distance. My Streetglide really likes the 75-85 range on the open road...just seems to go there and stay

Old 05-22-2009, 08:52 AM
Carmell RKC
Road Captain

I turned 40 this year and my need for speed is starting to wear off, at least the sustained stuff on the freeways. I still have fun blasting stop light to stop light, but my preference is the slower cruising off the beaten path. It always amazes me though even going those speeds on the freeway, that someone still wants to rear end me.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:00 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

The 6 speed bikes like to cruise at a higher speed 80-85. The ones I have ridden didnt like doing 70-75 in 6th gear.

I like to tighten up my throttle doo-hickey (What is that thing called?) and do to my cams which are not happy until they are turning some RPM's I generally do 80 which is the flow of traffic on I-25 here in Colorado and prefer the far left lane although there is now a law in our state effective last year....No left lane unless you are passing somebody.

Still get Freeway retards pulling stoopid moves and will go a good bit out of my way to rock a backroad!

Quick Reply: Freeway speed