Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quick Detach Passenger Pillon

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 01:15 AM
mcpastor
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Quick Detach Passenger Pillon

I've got a 2006 Heritage Classic with a detachable sissy bar and detachable bags. (Boss Bag detach kit...Love it!) I would like to make the passenger pillon quick detach also... In other words, make it removable with the one fender screw (instead of having to remove the solo and pillon as one piece, flip it over and unscrew the two screws holding the two seats together).

Looks like it might entail fabricating some kind of tab and slot bracket or something. Anyone done something like this?

Old 05-12-2006, 12:16 PM
DMSC
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Quick Detach Passenger Pillon

Here's what you need (on ebay).

I have this same kit and it works great. I use the slim pillion when I'm solo and the stock pillion/sissy bar when Paula's going with me. It takes a whole 2-3 minutes to make the swap.

Old 05-12-2006, 12:52 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

Thanks for the link. On the HD website I thought it said this wouldn't work on a Softail Classic... Looks like it works for you. Does it detach easily with the 1 fender screw, or is there more to it? Also, if I choose to go without a rear pillion, does the bracket show? Thanks!

Old 05-12-2006, 01:01 PM
DMSC
Road Master

It does work on the Heritage. The rear screw is all that needs to be removed to remove the pillion. The mounting tab on the pillion slides under the rear of the rider's seat. it's almost in the same spot as when the two are bolted together.

When the pillion is off, there is a small gap (less than 1/2 inch) between the fender and the seat. It's not ugly at all, IMHO.

Old 05-12-2006, 01:17 PM
mcpastor
Tourer

Sounds like a winner! [sm=yeahsmile.gif]THANKS!!!

Old 05-14-2006, 12:15 AM
mcpastor
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DMSC

It does work on the Heritage. The rear screw is all that needs to be removed to remove the pillion. The mounting tab on the pillion slides under the rear of the rider's seat. it's almost in the same spot as when the two are bolted together.

When the pillion is off, there is a small gap (less than 1/2 inch) between the fender and the seat. It's not ugly at all, IMHO.
I placed a bid on eBay. I also e-mailed the eBay guy selling the kit, and he says sorry but he doesn't think it will work on the Heritage Classic. I want it to. Here's a pic of what he's selling. Is this exactly what you have? I think you've already answered this question, but just want to be sure before placing further bids. Do you know the Harley part #?

Thanks Again.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5220/5E56E49D08FB48FDA5416F4B60CDD39D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-14-2006, 12:35 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Or you can go with the Deluxe type seat.... Just use the Large P-Pad when momma is riding back pillow....

The Rider seat is a twin screw post retention on the fender....

P-Pad slides in the grooves on the thumb screws, and is held in by the rear mount screw....

JMHO....

Old 05-14-2006, 01:09 AM
DMSC
Road Master

ORIGINAL: mcpastor

I placed a bid on eBay. I also e-mailed the eBay guy selling the kit, and he says sorry but he doesn't think it will work on the Heritage Classic. I want it to. Here's a pic of what he's selling. Is this exactly what you have? I think you've already answered this question, but just want to be sure before placing further bids. Do you know the Harley part #?

Thanks Again.

[IMG]local://upfiles/5220/5E56E49D08FB48FDA5416F4B60CDD39D.jpg[/IMG]
That sure looks like what I have on my bike. I thought that there was only one part# for this kit...perhaps I'm wrong...[&:]

Old 05-14-2006, 01:23 AM
DMSC
Road Master

Oh, did he tel you what the HD Part # is? I can see if I still have the box mine came in...

Old 05-14-2006, 11:03 AM
mcpastor
Tourer

Oh, did he tel you what the HD Part # is? I can see if I still have the box mine came in...
I contacted the seller re: part # and am waiting on his response. What year is your Heritage? By the way, I like the silver color.