Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 11:00 AM
oneloudz71
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Loud pipes

I have an '09 Night Train and I was wondering what some of the loudest pipes I can put on it would be. I have been looking at V&H Short Shots and Big Radius 2 into 2 (both in black, not that it matters). Is one significantly louder than the other? Are there other pipes that are hands down louder? I don't think I want to go with anything that will dump much shorter than these pipes will though.

Thanks guys!

(by the way, been here for about a month now and really like this forum alot!)

Old 05-21-2009, 11:39 AM
daboys53119
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I am the biggest champion of loud pipes save lives but louder does not equal better in my book. Are you picking an exhaust for asthetics or performance? That should be a better criteria for exhaust choice. Again my Fatboy has a VH pro-pipe with a competetion baffle and is loud but when shopping for exhaust I had it narrowed down to VH or thunder headers. I chose VH due to the quality versus loudness.

Old 05-21-2009, 11:41 AM
Pork-Chop
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

any exhaust with out a baffle is the loudest you gonna get, I have none on my fishtails and I LOVE the sound

Old 05-21-2009, 11:44 AM
Pardner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ahhh, not trying to be a smart **** here, but if you want specifics, you should call V&H. I did when I had a question about which baffles to use and they quoted me DB level and performance expectations ... they were very friendly and helpful. Just my .02.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:18 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Pork-Chop
any exhaust with out a baffle is the loudest you gonna get, I have none on my fishtails and I LOVE the sound
I have the same on my bike and love, however you must consider the questions above. I have Samson's. Shorter pipes are loud too like the short shot's but probably not as loud as long drags with fishtails. You will lose a little bit of low end with drag pipes. How much are you willing to spend?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:25 PM
oneloudz71
Tourer

I don't really care about performance loss, don't get me wrong but I didn't buy a crotch rocket. I am going for 50/50 looks and sound. I like the look of a shorter black exhaust for my bike. That being said, I want them as loud as I can get them. I don't have unlimited funds to spend, and I already think the 6-700 I have been quoted on the radius exhaust is getting expensive, hell its only a couple feet of pipe compaired to the exhaust I have on my truck that cost 1/2 as much and is 4x longer.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:32 PM
ALL-IN CYCLES
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long as you can remove the baffle either V&H will be super loud. I had installed Straightshots on a Dyna and removed the baffles, they popped a bit because I didn't have torque cones on them but they were LOUD!!!

Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Get the black shortshots and take the baffles out. Boom. Done. Decision made.

Old 05-21-2009, 12:35 PM
oneloudz71
Tourer

Originally Posted by HarleyGoodies
Get the black shortshots and take the baffles out. Boom. Done. Decision made.
You say that because you like the look of the shortshots or because you think they would be louder?

Old 05-21-2009, 12:46 PM
Eyes of Texas
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The search feature is your friend. There's a thread just like this every other day or so.

And by the way, putting loud pipes on just for the sake of being loud (by your own admission you're not interested in performance) is a squidly move. Overcompensation much?

Quick Reply: Loud pipes