Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security System

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Tom Carter
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Security System

Does anyone know how to turn on the security system. I have a 09 Softail with HD Smart Secuity with hands free. Acording to my owner manual the turn signal lamps should flash when alarm is active anybody got any hints?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:28 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

It should turn on automatically when you get the fob a certain distance away from the bike. I have an older push button fob, but this si my understanding. The service manual outlines it all.

Old 05-19-2009, 12:32 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I have the same security system. If you have the fob on your keychain, the alarm will arm automatically as soon as you are 7' away from the bike. That's it.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:17 PM
Tom Carter
6th Gear

I believe you but i had a buddy go out and start my bike and i was 200 feet away with the key fob in my pocket. The turn signals never flash after parking and leaving the bike

Old 05-19-2009, 03:20 PM
LH
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The security system will arm as soon as you turn the ignition switch off. It will disarm when you turn the ignition switch on as long as the fob is within 7 feet of the bike.

Old 05-19-2009, 03:25 PM
LH
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Carter
Does anyone know how to turn on the security system. I have a 09 Softail with HD Smart Secuity with hands free. Acording to my owner manual the turn signal lamps should flash when alarm is active anybody got any hints?
If you've had the problem since day one, check with the dealer. They may have put it in the maintenance mode while at the dealership and forgot to reset it.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:36 PM
Skydakine
Stage IV

When in maintenance mode the system is deactivated. However, as soon as the owner's key fob is within proximity of the ECU and the ignition is activated, the system reverts back to normal security mode.

Old 05-25-2009, 04:41 PM
Alain
Elite HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

mine has security and i've never been able to get it to work. i've tried about 8 times to set it up and it just wont work. i'm gonna try again tomorrow, it'll give me something to do since the weather is gonna be ****ty.

Old 05-25-2009, 05:20 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The security system for the '07 and later will auto arm when you turn the ignition switch off... the turn signals will flash to let you know it's armed. If it's not doing this and/or if you don't see the red security light on your speedo turn on when you turn on the ignition...you security system is inactive... dealer will need to check it out.

Old 05-25-2009, 07:08 PM
rockerheadsteve
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The security system is designed so the bike will not start unless the fob is within 10 feet of the bike. If you want the audible alarm, you'll have to purchase the smart security II alarm, that plugs into our factory smart security system. Its a simple upgrade, I think I paid 79 bucks for it. Another 70 bucks and I can have the pager that works up to a half mile. I don't know about before 08 models, but I believe 08 and up installed the smart security system factory on all models, and they are not audible, so don't waste your time trying to set the audible alarm, it doesn't have one, just a anti start security system. They all have security, just not audible. Since I installed the smart security II, right after you turn the ignition off the turn signals flash twice and chirps twice in unison with the flashers to let you know its alarmed, and chirps once when you turn the ignition on to start the bike. I love it.

Last edited by rockerheadsteve; 05-25-2009 at 08:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Security System