Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:04 PM
jrjones
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundermax Question

I have read a lot about the Thundermax autotune and it seems like a great tuner. It is even hard to find anything thing bad about the Thundermax. It seems like it is to good to believe. I am trying to see if anyone has any bad or negative things about it.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:20 PM
Hammer107
Road Master

How heavily modified is your bike?

Old 05-17-2009, 09:41 PM
Cheesecake
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

this is an Internet forum... usually if it's bad... someone will say it!

Look at the Electrical/Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection area... there are some TMax hatters in there!

IMO you are going to have different advantages / issues with most... you have to decide what woks best for what you want to do....

CC

Old 05-17-2009, 10:46 PM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

A friend of mine is letting me borrow one that he had on a bike he sold. If I like it (which I am so far), I'll buy it from him. If I don't, I'll return it. First of all the T-Max is not just a tuner, it is an aftermarket ECM that fully replaces the stock one, but "autotunes" itself to your riding style. You, the end-user, can also go in and change settings and fine tune it. It's not the end-all, be-all of aftermarket EFI products, for certain, but it's a fine product.

My issues with it:
1. The software is complicated and unintuitive. Unless you are pretty handy with a laptop, and you like reading manuals and asking for help, either from here or from tech support, it may not be the product for you.

2. After I installed it, my meter that estimates how many miles you can go with the gasoline left in the tank, is frozen at the ridiculous number of 627. I'll take it to the dealer first. If they can't reset it and get it to work right, I'll call tech support.

Known issues with the latest software\firmware:
1. Speedometer and readouts quit working for no apparent reason. Solution: reinitiate the module.

I haven't had the above happen yet. I also haven't had to call tech support yet, but I have had a LOT of help from a certain member on this board. My bike runs strong and smooth and the pros far outweight the cons for me, with a T-Max installed on my bike.

Do a search for "thundermax" on the EFI (etc.) forum and read as much as you can before buying. It's a good product, but it ain't cheap. Best of luck.

Old 05-18-2009, 05:03 AM
jisham
Cruiser

Best product I've added to my bike...

Old 05-18-2009, 06:59 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i had that speedo glitch after 2600 miles of using it and i still love it after the great responce from email they sent and did not try to cover it up like harley does. It is a rare glitch so i feel special. simple fix and it seems it only happens once and they is why they have a hard time catching it but they are trying to duplicate it. still more stable than vista software. i still love it and would get another as it makes any mods i do adjust and also adjust for riding factors. I bought mine used for $450

Old 05-19-2009, 03:28 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 121 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by tk353
i had that speedo glitch after 2600 miles of using it and i still love it after the great responce from email they sent and did not try to cover it up like harley does. It is a rare glitch so i feel special. simple fix and it seems it only happens once and they is why they have a hard time catching it but they are trying to duplicate it. still more stable than vista software. i still love it and would get another as it makes any mods i do adjust and also adjust for riding factors. I bought mine used for $450
I don't think the speedo glitch is that rare. I've read quite a few posts of people it happened to. It just got me for the first time, today. Easy fix, though - 3 minutes for reinitialization.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:29 AM
jrjones
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hammer107
How heavily modified is your bike?
At the current time I am running a 88 with K&N air filter and VH ProPipe. However I am deploying in a few months and going to upgrade the motor while gone. Trying to figure everything out now before I leave.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:31 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

I have heard of two unit's going dead on the same bike. But I suspect that the owner may have done something to the wiring on the bike (he was doing a lot of other mods) and may have crossed a wire or two in the bike that screwed things up.

Other than that and a minor mounting issue (the stock ECM mounting nuts didn't fit right with it) I haven't heard of anyone having any problems with one. The odometer readout problem others have cited is a new on on me.

If there is a real problem with them its the cost. They ain't cheap. I got lucky and found a place that was not going to carry them anymore so I one from them for a little under $600.

You also need to FOLLOW the directions when it comes to the O2 sensor wire routing. I didn't have the directions handy when I installed it and had taken a lot of the bike apart for other mods and thought I knew how it 'should' go.

Stupid me, the connectors are large, take up a lot of room and gave me a lot of trouble when I was trying to reinstall the tank later on. Some day when I have the tins off for painting (I hope) I'm going to have to redo it, the RIGHT WAY this time.

Old 05-19-2009, 07:32 AM
jrjones
Tourer

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown

My issues with it:
1. The software is complicated and unintuitive. Unless you are pretty handy with a laptop, and you like reading manuals and asking for help, either from here or from tech support, it may not be the product for you.

2. After I installed it, my meter that estimates how many miles you can go with the gasoline left in the tank, is frozen at the ridiculous number of 627. I'll take it to the dealer first. If they can't reset it and get it to work right, I'll call tech support.
Well I am decent with laptops so should be fine there. As for the gas it doesnt matter. When I put the new tank on there I didnt feel like paying for the parts to make the fuel gauge work. So I just off of milage, and dont try to push it the the max.

Quick Reply: Thundermax Question