Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leatherworks or Garage Leathers

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 04:32 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Default Leatherworks or Garage Leathers

I have a LaRosa swingarm bag. The buckles are cheap and started rusting immediately. I was ready to upgrade to a Garage Leathers bag but I found an extra large Leatherworks swingarm bag on ebay for $50 less and it looks pretty nice.

Does anybody have firsthand experience with Leatherworks bags? Should I hold out for Garage Leathers?

Old 05-17-2009, 04:52 AM
netvampire
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You might want to leave your decision for a little while. I too have been deciding on the two bags you mention.I contacted Garage leathers about size since not listed on sight.and was told there developing a larger bag currently.for those interested size is-10 3/4 wide by 3 inches deep---15 1/2 on the tall side and 8 1/2 on the short side...(old size)
were i think the leatherworks 312X measures 10" x 11.5" x 5".

Old 05-17-2009, 04:59 AM
ptw***
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the extra large Leatherworks bag & can recommend it. Would have considered an even larger bag but couldn't find any.

Old 05-17-2009, 06:29 AM
cammy5477
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have the larosa and have had it for a while with no signs of rust on the buckles.
i stay in scotland so its not like it doesnt rain!

Old 05-17-2009, 07:51 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I saddlesoap and mink oil my cheap *** La Rosa sack. I have dyed it twice in 4 months.

Then when I'm in the garage on smoke break I hit it with some Kiwi shoe polish and a brush.

It aint rustin yet...But its a piece of shat for sure.

I pulled off the silly leather straps that it came with a use big fat zipties instead. It mounts way better, more solid.

I will be needing a new bag soon as well. Kinda peeves me as I broke my own rule.

"Buy Cheap?, Buy Twice!"

Now instead of just having a $200+ bag?

I will have a $329+ bag when I include the $129.00 thrown into the wind on a Larosa....

Maybe some guys like theirs? Mine is losing its shape, never seen rain, gets removed when I wash the bike and looks like and old hat that got ran over in the middle of the freeway.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:35 AM
fitn217
Intermediate

I've got the leatherworks. No problems. Looks like it did when it was brand new after a year. I dont remove it when washing, but remove everything from inside as H2O occasionally gets in from the strap openings on the rear. So I've learned to keep everything in there in ziplock bags. Thats the only negative.
Highly recommended.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:10 AM
gulfpits
Cruiser

I bought the one from Garage Leathers. I just liked the way they represented the product on their website better. Smaller operation than Leatherworks and the folks at Pensacola HD (they have my Fatboy doing a bunch of work to it) said it is high quality....I even had em mount me a bottle opener on the back end of the bag. I'll post some pics in a few days.

Old 05-17-2009, 04:29 PM
vulcanater
Road Captain

Originally Posted by deadeye
I have a LaRosa swingarm bag. The buckles are cheap and started rusting immediately. I was ready to upgrade to a Garage Leathers bag but I found an extra large Leatherworks swingarm bag on ebay for $50 less and it looks pretty nice.

Does anybody have firsthand experience with Leatherworks bags? Should I hold out for Garage Leathers?
I'd be happy with either of these bags. I've only heard good things about these bags. Just stay away from LaRosa!! Their bags are cheap pieces if chit!! I have one from them and it won't hold it's shape at all. It looks like crap! I'll never buy anything else from LaRosa and don't recommend that any one else buy from them.

Chop On,
Robert

Old 05-17-2009, 07:46 PM
djvargas
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the same bag. After a year of being well kept, the front part of the flap bows outward, especially when the bike is moving. The flap catches the wind and parachutes.

If you order this bag, make sure the straps are on very tight as mine were never that tight. This might explain why it parachutes. Thought i'd take it off the bike and maybe get a local leatherworker to tighten the straps.

Originally Posted by ptw***
I have the extra large Leatherworks bag & can recommend it. Would have considered an even larger bag but couldn't find any.

Old 05-18-2009, 06:51 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i went with garage leathers and have had it for about 18 months and it works great. the communication with the company is great. you send email and get a responce. it comes with some stuff you put on to keep the leather nice. i think i used it 2 times. mine has been rained on a few times.

Attached Thumbnails Leatherworks or Garage Leathers-dsc00780z.jpg  

Quick Reply: Leatherworks or Garage Leathers