Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever get hit by a rock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 12:35 AM
midwesttom
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ever get hit by a rock?

Wow some of these stories are funny as hell. I don't know how you guys ride without the windshield here in midwest the bugs suck big time. I have only had runend with some big Missouri bugs and they hurt. Glad you servived the golfball I never thought of that. Tom

Old 05-12-2006, 01:01 AM
mudrat_fat05
Cruiser

Been hit many times myself, and it always hurts. Worst was getting stung by the white faced hornet that took refuge in my leather while riding in New England. I thought I was shot..

Old 05-12-2006, 01:03 AM
sly_buck
Intermediate

younger days riding to work thru a neiborhood ran over a squirell with back tire, he changed his mind at the last minute and watched him crawl off, three weeks ago some small bug got my attention hitting me square betenn the eyes, two nights ago a bird dive bombed me and it hit my leg

got to pay attention all the time

Old 05-12-2006, 01:35 AM
IAHOG
Tourer

Heading into work last year (4o AM.) came around a curve , DEER !! About that time she turns and runs into the side of me! Her head contacted my knee, what a crack/ thud sound that made!! Next thing I hear is the rear peg flipping up ! Hurt like a ******! But I stayed up and I believe the deer lived, with a headache I expect ! This was at about 50mph.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:05 AM
Dr. Fatboy
Advanced

I agree that some of these posts are pretty funny. I'm sure that those of you that have expierenced getting knocked around didn't think it was funny at the time but hopefully looking back at it and hearing what other people have gone through, you can crack a smile now. I suppose with enough people and enough miles covered on the road just about anything can happen.

Old 05-12-2006, 08:13 AM
HOGWYLDPR
Tourer

I recently had a rock bounce out from under a car and it hit me on the right side of my gas tank on my brand new Deluxe. After hitting my tank it then bounced off my right knee. Hit me pretty hard, knee was all banged up. Gas tank now has a nice chip in the right front down to the metal.

Old 05-12-2006, 02:23 PM
Cessna172
Cruiser

These are really funny and some had the potential to be serious. I've done the rock thing, multiple bee swarm thing, eastern USA cicada hatches (every 17 years or something like that), but the worst had to be the Pennsylvania Praying Mantis!

First these things are the King Kong of domestic bugs - like 4 - 8 inches long and absolutely butt ugly! Who's ever idea it was to make these things fly really needs a twelve step program. Anyway, you can see one coming a quarter milke away - I think they home in on the headlight and just when they realize the headlight is bad karma they fly up to face height. I'd swerve left - the mantis swerves left. I swerve right - the mantis swerves right. We keep this serpentine dance up until the moment of impact.

Like a suicide bomber, the mantis nails me right in between my helmet and the side of my face. WHAM! My head lurches backwards making an excellent rendition of JFK in the famous Zapruder film. Immediately, I feel nasty bug guts, and we're talking a measurable amount, fill my ear and drift to the back of my helmet. I could actually smell that damn thing. The pterodactyl insect is obviously dead; however, it still isn't done tormenting me.

With the insides of mantis stuffed in my ear, the external mortal remains are still firmly implanted to the side of my face. Did you ever leave you helmet chin strap dangling below you chin, and then proceed to get repeatedly bi*ch slapped about the neck? Well, that’s exactly what the damn mantis’ remains were doing to my cheek!

Took 20 minutes in a gas station bathroom to excavate the mantis from ear, hair, and helmet. Take heed grasshopper – beware the Praying Mantis (the females eat their mates after sex!)

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-12-2006, 03:18 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cessna172

These are really funny and some had the potential to be serious. I've done the rock thing, multiple bee swarm thing, eastern USA cicada hatches (every 17 years or something like that), but the worst had to be the Pennsylvania Praying Mantis!

First these things are the King Kong of domestic bugs - like 4 - 8 inches long and absolutely butt ugly! Who's ever idea it was to make these things fly really needs a twelve step program. Anyway, you can see one coming a quarter milke away - I think they home in on the headlight and just when they realize the headlight is bad karma they fly up to face height. I'd swerve left - the mantis swerves left. I swerve right - the mantis swerves right. We keep this serpentine dance up until the moment of impact.

Like a suicide bomber, the mantis nails me right in between my helmet and the side of my face. WHAM! My head lurches backwards making an excellent rendition of JFK in the famous Zapruder film. Immediately, I feel nasty bug guts, and we're talking a measurable amount, fill my ear and drift to the back of my helmet. I could actually smell that damn thing. The pterodactyl insect is obviously dead; however, it still isn't done tormenting me.

With the insides of mantis stuffed in my ear, the external mortal remains are still firmly implanted to the side of my face. Did you ever leave you helmet chin strap dangling below you chin, and then proceed to get repeatedly bi*ch slapped about the neck? Well, that’s exactly what the damn mantis’ remains were doing to my cheek!

Took 20 minutes in a gas station bathroom to excavate the mantis from ear, hair, and helmet. Take heed grasshopper – beware the Praying Mantis (the females eat their mates after sex!)

[sm=icon_cheers.gif]
That's one of the funniest things I have read in a long time!

Old 05-12-2006, 03:45 PM
msheldon
Cruiser

I've gotten hit by a couple of small rocks.

Two birds on the helmet.

A junebug to the chest.

And two bees. One hit between my goggles and helmet. Fortunately, it got stuck there and couldn't sting me. The other hit my neck (at 70mph, ow) and dropped down into my jacket, then stung me. I get mild reactions to bee stings, so I pulled off the road for 15 minutes or so to be sure I wouldn't get a bad reaction.

I always choose glasses/goggles with polycarbonate lenses. No friggin way I want to chance it shattering and throwing glass fragments into my eye.

I guy I was on a board with once many years ago took a bird to the helmet while riding the autobahn at 120mph. He managed to stay on the bike (An FZR-1000), but he said his neck was killing him for weeks.

Old 05-12-2006, 03:59 PM
micheam
6th Gear

Caught one in the lower lip after entering i-85 behind a dump truck. Saw it coming at but froze and couldn't move in time. Hurt like hell. Turned around and went home. Took it as a sign.

Quick Reply: Ever get hit by a rock?