Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ever get hit by a rock?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 05:34 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Ever get hit by a rock?

ORIGINAL: Dr. Fatboy

I have a 2004 Fatboy and have just over 4000 miles on the bike. I know that this is not much compared to some of you riders. When riding in my car, I have every so often got a big rock thrown up by the car in front dinging my windshield. Just wondering if anyone has ever been hit by a rock or piece of road debris while out riding their bike and what that's like? I've been smacked by a Junebug on the leg and I sure felt it. I can't imagine what it would be like getting nailed by a rock or piece of debris.
I was headed down the Alcan in 03 riding my new Heritage Classic as I went thru a construction area an 18 wheeler was headed in the opposite direction going hell bent for leather. Construction areas are mostly loose gravel. It was dry and as such very dusty. The Alcan is a 2 lane highway. He roared by and threw a rock. I saw it coming in almost slow motion. It whacked the center of the windshield. At the next gas stop I noticed a chip in the lexan. If the shield had not been there I imagine that rock would have cleaned me right off that bike.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:42 PM
fxstcguy98
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a 1/2inch dia. rock hit me right on the knee cap "motherf(*#*cker" I says. Also had a beetle smack me on the lip so hard, it bled and swelled up immediatly "mummerpupper" I says.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:04 PM
pro1955
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Firefox

I've got one to beat all of you. Me and the wife where out riding last year and went by a golf course and yes you guessed it some golfer eather on purpose or accidently shoot a ball of the green and nailed me right in the leg. I don't know how fast the ball was going but I was doing 60 so I figure I was hit with it at about 120 (figure the speed of the ball + my speed) I kept control and pulled off couldn't see any golfer so held my composure and headed home at home there was a welt about 10" around and stuck out 2" and BLACK as the ace of spades. Couldn't hardly walk on it for a week. Never went by there again. Infact havn't golfed since then eather.
Sorry, my games getting better.[sm=smiley36.gif]

Old 05-11-2006, 07:09 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Got a bird in the chest when I was a kid. It just about took me right off the bike, even though I wasn't going fast.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:16 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well this is an ironic post...

Just today I got hit in the left hand with a rock...probably a small pebble but it hurt like hell...left a knot on my third knuckle even through my gloves..

Old 05-11-2006, 08:01 PM
Maniac
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: icdred

I have been been worried about this as well being that I just got my fatbay about 6 weeks ago, and the funny thing is that I was drving my truck a few days ago with the window down and a huge rock came flying through the wondow and hit my arm....hurt like hell!! So it just goes to show even in a car you are in danger!!

Ha! Same with me. I haven't been hit with anything large enought to comment about when riding but just like you, I had my arm out the window of my truck and got smacked by a pretty good sized rock right in the elbow. *&$()@#!!!!

I have been caught in a dust-devil (you all in the desert will know what I'm talking about) while riding and that sucked. It was like someone shooting you in the face with salt rock.[:@]

Old 05-11-2006, 08:34 PM
Texas Dwight
Novice

Speaking of animals..........around '79 or so I was riding a KZ1000 early in the morning 0400 or so down a little crooked as@ farm road in Ky. Lo an behold a friggin chicken right in the way. I was letting it eat too. The only thing I could do was hang on.....It actually kind of suprised me how smooth that ole Kaw sliced through the bird..... I did glance back and saw a plume of feathers up in the air...

Probably the first Jap chopped chicken ever in Ky.

And if you ever wanted to know what it feels like to be sandblasted just ride through Houston Tx on I10.........in traffic

Old 05-11-2006, 08:38 PM
RiggidyRaw
Tourer

Bugs and rocks hurt, but rain ranks up there with them. Ever get caught in the begginning of a rain and have a half or bucket helmet. Feels like multiple little rocks.

Old 05-11-2006, 09:57 PM
Bluerose

Rode my Yamaha for 7 months with nothing really hitting me besides the basic bug braggade.

Bought the Deluxe 2 1/2 weeks ago.

- Pulled around the corner from dealership when I bought it (no windshild)
got nice big something or other bug between the eyes. Luckily I had full face on and he spatted enough for me to see.

- Halfway home from dealership got rock in right knee cap from truck (about an inch in size), hurt like heck.

- Last weekend hit a swarm of bees. No stings but nothing like the THWAP THWAP THWAP of severl dozen bees hitting you.
Had full face on and windshild but still got pelted pretty good. And of course one got me right in the same spot
as the rock. Luckily I'm not allergic to bees.

Is it an omen???

Old 05-12-2006, 12:03 AM
back again
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,361 Likes on 2,573 Posts

Lots of big beetles and other various critters here and there. Worst hit came from a lug nut off a car going the other way at only 30mph or so. Knocked the chit out of me and stuck in my old Bell. Never thought about riding without a lid since.

Quick Reply: Ever get hit by a rock?