Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 vs 07 Fatboy...I'm in a dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 11:35 PM
fatheadonsoftail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 vs 07 Fatboy...I'm in a dilemma

Last Sunday I put a deposit on a beautiful 06 Pearl Yellow Fat Boy with 4200 miles.

Has Windshield, Light Kit, Screamin Eagle Pipes, Air Cleaner and Detachable Back rest.

The thing is spotless and I love the color. also has a 2 year extended warranty left but not from Harley, some aftermarket one that I realize may be a hassle to deal with.

I am supposed to take possession of it tomorrow and tonight what do I see looking through the local want ads but an 07 Fatboy with 4400 miles, Windshield, Bags, Big radius exhaust and Power commander for an asking price of $500 higher than I am paying for the 06.

I am sure I can probably offer the same as the 06 and get it.

The problem is it is Silver which I am not crazy about and the ad had no pictures.

I am going to try and look at it first thing in the morning and if it is as nice as the 06 I may buy it and cancel the sale of the 06.

These are both private sales and I gave the first guy $100 for a deposit which of course he can keep.

Am I crazy to do this or should I be buying the best deal I can?

I would really like the bags as well as the fatter back tire. I must say I have not looked at an 07 real close yet so not sure if the looks will catch me like the 06 does.

I am a little hesitant about the 07 as I have read here problems with the tranny on the 6 speeds when they first came out,(5'th gear whine and such) and something about them running hotter and a front wheel alignment issue.

Should I stay with the tried and true 06 or take the 07?

The 07 says it has two years left on extended warranty also but not sure if it Harley or after market. I'll have to get the details on that tomorrow.

Some opinions please.

Thanks,

Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 PM
BoomerBob
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There were 700 improvements/changes to the TC96 motor over the TC88 motor.

My 07 Softail doesn't get any hotter than my 95" 1999 EG. A good fuel management device negates the EPA mandated lean condition of a stock TC96.

My 07 doesn't have any gear whine over and above any of the other 8 Harley's I've had.

You will have a good ride with either of them IMHO but you will have improvements in the newer one you will likely want to do to the 06 eventually at some significant expense.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:51 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

you know I have an 06 fatboy. I am not so sure about 07s. you have not said what you are paying for either one. if you are giving more than around 13000 for an 06, I would look more. you can find an 06 FLSTFISE2 for around 16000.
I will say if you do not like the color you can get a set of tins of ebay for less and 700 for an 07. I would add that too. One thing about a Harley is, if you do not like the way something looks, you are going to change it.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:51 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

I vote for the earlier model, although it does have the well know cam chain tensioner issue. I could care less about a fatter rear tire. You can barely see it with the big swoopy fender on there anyway. I also like the tank graphics and wheels far better on the 2000-2006. However, the newer model has the 96" engine with new cam chain setup that is supposedly problem free.

I recall reading so many thread when the 07's came out about problem with this and that. I prefer to never buy a first year of model of a vehcile, OS, or anything else as there are always bugs to be worked out.

To conclude, I say the 06 all the way. You have already made the deal. Maybe tell him you are going to see another bike, and see if you can't get another $500 off the 06. Work it to your advantage if possible.

Old 05-12-2009, 11:59 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would do the 07' just for the fact that its probably worth more money, has the new Hydro tensioners already and its a 96" Vs' an 88".

The 6 speed tranny isnt a big deal IMO. I have ridden both and actually prefer my 5 speed as the 6th gear is so steep its almost worthless. The 6 speed bikes I rode were gutless stockers though so maybe some motor work would let the bike pull 6th a bit better.

The fatter tire is just what looks good to you. On the bobbed fender bikes I dont care for the wider fender and feel it takes away from the timeless and classic lines of the original design. Then again I'm creepy and like wierd chit and an oldschool who knows or cares what year it is look.

The fatter tire on the fatboy may be a better look though if thats yer thang?

IMO The desirability scale quickly tips toward the larger motor with better guts and the wildly popular fatass rear tire wheel combo.

Buy the 07' unless the color is so bad you wont love the bike....

Either way both great years, both great bikes!! One of them is gonna let you know its the one when you get that feeling that starts in yer' gut. You will know. Go look at the 07' and see how yer gutbox feels.

As Dude abovbe say the 06' is a great bike. Its a perfected machine sans the tensioners. Every year they got better though and by 06'? They were typically good for over 30K miles. How many guys do you know with 40,000 miles on their Harley??

Edit: After reading your post again...I betcha buy the Yellow 06. You are already in love with the color. Thats a hard one to pass on when you feel good enough to call it "Beautiful". Post a photo Damn you!!

That 2" of tire really changes the lines on the fatty as well:

I must say I dislike that fatter rear on the fatty. That fender wasnt penned out to look like that. Its out of sorts IMO. Looks almost like a metric from behind.

Last edited by Chazmanian; 05-13-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:24 AM
fatheadonsoftail
Cruiser

Damn you guys are not making any easier.

The price for both is $14000. I know that is a little high for a 06 but it is pristine.

I would not feel comfortable asking him to lower the price again. He was originally asking $14500 and I offered $13500 and he balked so we settled on $14000.

I feel I have the right to back out if I give him the deposit, right or wrong?

I all ready have had a 2000 Wide Glide and last year I sold my 02 Heritage Softail Classic that had 30000 miles on it so I know about the Cam Chain Issue and that does not bother me.

Like I said I am going to look at the 07 in the morning if I can get a hold of the guy.

It has 4200 miles.

This could all be mute though. I drove all the way to NH to look at a Custom 07 Fatboy that was supposedly mint and it was beat with bald tires and a dented exhaust pipe. That one had about 5000 miles on it so this 07 will have to look absolutely brand new before I jump.

I do like the fatter tire, (I Think) but I also really like the way the o6 has that classic rear end look.

And that Pearl Yellow is just soooo nice.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:30 AM
fatheadonsoftail
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
That 2" of tire really changes the lines on the fatty as well:

I must say I dislike that fatter rear on the fatty. That fender wasnt penned out to look like that. Its out of sorts IMO. Looks almost like a metric from behind.
You are right.

Thanks for the pics That confirms I like the classic look better, But I still gotta look at the 07 just in case I am passing up a lot better deal.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:31 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

This 06' with 410 miles...Yes 410 miles actual miles is listed at 15.5K buy it now on Flea-Bay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...1%7C240%3A1318

This is a nice bike. Is this what the 06' looks like?

That dude would sell that brand new fat fvcker for 14.5K I betcha.

Kansas City MO. Man thats a cool bike!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:39 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER

Heres a better comparo. Yella to Yella.

I'm just a purist at heart I guess. I dont want my bike looking like every Metric that rolls down the street. I really dig the original vision behind the styling of our bikes.

There is a reason they are the most copied Motorcycle design of all time. Big fatass tires look perfect on Rockers and softails with heartland or Hogpro kits. Those guys pen out the big fenders better than Moco does!! The Moc designed fatassed bikes just seem off a bit?

Dont mind me...I'm a retard thats putting a Jockey shifter and beach bars on a Night Train!!

Old 05-13-2009, 12:40 AM
fatheadonsoftail
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
This 06' with 410 miles...Yes 410 miles actual miles is listed at 15.5K buy it now on Flea-Bay.http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2006-...1%7C240%3A1318

This is a nice bike. Is this what the 06' looks like?

That dude would sell that brand new fat fvcker for 14.5K I betcha.

Kansas City MO. Man thats a cool bike!
I saw that listing when I was looking.

yes it is like that but with the Light bar set up here's a pic

Quick Reply: 06 vs 07 Fatboy...I'm in a dilemma