Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 vs 07 Fatboy...I'm in a dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 08:49 PM
plane
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Danny D, where the hell did you get those pullback risers! I gotta know.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:57 PM
Yosemite
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

First, dude... congrats on the bike purchase and welcome back to the club. I'm sure you'll find owning the Fatboy a little different from all your others.

Obviously, you can tell which of the two I would have picked. ;^) In fact, I specifically waited to buy my 07' over an 06' because of (a) the Pewter Pearl color and (b) the 200 rear tire I knew was coming once I saw the 06 FLSTFSE. What I didn't know was all the other stuff I would get with it.

As for the guy who thinks a fat tire on a Fatboy is bad... well dude, I will just say that I disagree. I am a purist of sorts... I believe the motor company designed each bike for a certain niche and to take it out of that niche is sorta wrong. Of course, you're going to look at my bike and say "WTF?" but I get it... my bike does what I need it to do, and then I can peel off the crap and it is pure once again.

Anyway, WRT the Fatboy I think that "FAT" and/or "PHAT" is where its at. The Deluxe is 50's cool, the Heritage is classic, the Wide Glide was Peter Fonda chopperesque, and the Fatboy was made to be fat, bad, uber manly sorta cool. It was the first bike with solid wheels, bobbed fender, minimalist fringe, shotgun duals, and wider tires. Denigrating a Fatboy for having wide tires is like saying Willie G. doesn't understand true riding because he lives in cold Wisconsin.

To each his own... I like the bike because of the bigger engine, 6 speed tranny that allows me to loaf along at 80 mph with a low RPM, a wide SET (yes, the front tire is wider too!) of tires that STICK me to the road like spikes on an ice bike, the shortened wide rear fender that shows off that big bastard, and the 17" wheels that run smoother in the wind than any Fatboy ever built. I like the shotgun exhaust and think anyone who changes to a non-shotgun pipe does a disservice to the bike (yeah, weird, I know.) I like the solid wheels and think anyone who changes them makes their bike no longer a Fatboy... like I said, purist.

The 07's and later are GREAT bikes. They ARE different from the earlier ones but that does not make them worse... it only makes them different.

The beauty is we each get to like our own.

Regards,

Old 05-14-2009, 10:24 PM
HDChloe
Road Captain

Well, I just read all 7 pages so I get to chime in here. I have a Cross Bones and I bought my bike for a few reasons including the fat tire.

With that said, I do NOT care for the fat tire on the Fatboy. Perhaps it is the tins that I don't like. Heck, I don't really know, but the 06 looks way better. At this point I should say in my opinion, but we all know that.

This is why Harley makes 30 different bikes now. To fill a niche for everyone.

I like old school mixed with new school (i.e. Cross Bones). The less chrome the better too. My wife likes old school and LOTS of chrome....to each their own.

Don't think for one second you paid too much because you didn't. You paid what you thought it was worth. Is the 96" and 6 speed better? Ya probably, but obviously not to you so why worry about it. Ride your bike, make it your own, and stop going in your garage so much to look at your new ride.

Old 05-15-2009, 10:53 AM
fatheadonsoftail
Cruiser

Could not of said it better my self!

I am not worried what I paid, Like you said to me it is worth it.

I paid for the bike I wanted.

The Bike that hit me from the first look.

And to think I was not even considering a Fat Boy two weeks ago when looking for another STClassic.

So glad I did not find one cause I absolutly love this FatBoy!

Old 05-15-2009, 10:58 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fatheadonsoftail
Could not of said it better my self!

I am not worried what I paid, Like you said to me it is worth it.

I paid for the bike I wanted.

The Bike that hit me from the first look.

And to think I was not even considering a Fat Boy two weeks ago when looking for another STClassic.

So glad I did not find one cause I absolutly love this FatBoy!

congrats and enjoy the ride!!!!

Old 05-15-2009, 06:34 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yea this thread is over

Old 05-15-2009, 06:42 PM
Red9
Road Captain

Congrats on the new ride!
Ride safe and enjoy.

Lee

Old 05-17-2009, 02:54 PM
fatheadonsoftail
Cruiser

Finally stopped raining and got her out today.

This is pretty much the condition the guy gave it to me except I put on the Corbin Seat,(which I picked up on craigs list the day I bought the bike) and I took off the Back rest.

I plan to ride solo mostly.

I will have the chromed Out Ape Hanger set up in a couple weeks.

It Runs real nice!

Old 05-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That my friend is a sexy Muthafvcker!!

Nice kill on the Yellow beast!

Old 05-17-2009, 04:43 PM
choctaw1
Advanced

that is one beautiful fatboy