Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

06 vs 07 Fatboy...I'm in a dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 01:14 PM
Duecesx2
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the 07 with the big updated motor with a six speed. Then look for a deal on some yellow tins....sell your old ones and you have the best of both worlds.

Old 05-13-2009, 02:50 PM
Pooh AKA Bear
Road Captain
Smile Go with your heart!!

Originally Posted by fatheadonsoftail
Ok Some of you may think I am crazy but I am going to go with my heart and take the 06.

Here's the 07:

The thing is owned by an older gentleman in his late 60's.

He showed me all his paper work. He paid almost 20K with the accessories when he bought it new.

He has 2 years left on the Harley warranty.

I took it for a nice ride and it runs great except the Pipes still have the 02 sensors in them and it pops the check engine light every now and then.

One problem was the back wheel had some pitting in the aluminum and I asked him why he did not get Harley to replace it and he said he tried and they would not.

It was clean up top but not as clean as the yellow 06 and he was washing it when I pulled up.

Now here's the Biggest problem.

When I pulled in and saw it for the first time it did not hit me with a square in the chest punch like the yellow 06 did. To me it looks like a Metric bike, maybe it is the color, maybe the over all look, but probably mainly the color and I do not like the striping on it.

I now realize I love the classic look.

He was asking $14500 and when I was getting ready to leave before I said anything he said he would take $13500 for it.

SO I am crazy to be spending about $500 more than I should for and 06 instead of buying an 07 for probably $1500 less than it is worth but I made up my mind and am going with the 06.

I love Harley's and you guys know you can't let money stand in the way of what you like as one guy said.

Don't beat me up to bad!
Good choice!! Remember, no matter what Harley you purchase, you are only getting a starter kit. You will be spending more money on making it yours. You can always add the 6 speed, bump it up to a 95 or more. Change out the wheels and rubber, seats, bars, grips, mirrors etc. This is your baby and ya gotta go with your heart!!

Old 05-13-2009, 02:59 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Pooh AKA Bear
Good choice!! Remember, no matter what Harley you purchase, you are only getting a starter kit. You will be spending more money on making it yours. You can always add the 6 speed, bump it up to a 95 or more. Change out the wheels and rubber, seats, bars, grips, mirrors etc. This is your baby and ya gotta go with your heart!!
Pooh Bear is right. When I got my bike it was exactly how I wanted it. I was absolutely certain. Of course I was yet to find the forums. A quick list of things changed, Wheels 3 times although I actually bought 4 sets, Taller apes, new steel braided lines, new set of tins, power commander, tool bag, solos saddlebag, sissy bar and luggage rack, touring bag, floorboard and pegs that match, mark III highway pegs, Lyndall brake pads, and the list goes on...You get the idea.

I also think the 06 is a better option, although those saddlebags are quite pricey and look really nice, and I like silver better than yellow. My bike used to be silver too. Anyway, I am sure you made a great choice. You can't go wrong as you are getting your Harley.

Old 05-13-2009, 03:17 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with most... either bike is just a starting point. it just becomes a personal taste thing.

that said - the 200 rear tire is what sold me on!!!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:22 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

6th gear is sweet at 75 to 80. i am looking for a pully change to the 70. it should be even better as i heard the 2010 were going to change it up a little. But any of the new bikes will run too hot to ride untill you do a fuel management. if you do a stage 1 then the 6th gear is fine. Mine went from 63.99 hp to 75.41 hp and 78.16 tq to 87.36 tq

Old 05-13-2009, 06:33 PM
roysays
Cruiser

well I have an 05 and I would go for the 07. I love my bike but I like the look of the fat tire and wish I had the bigger motor and 6th gear.

IMO the newer bikes with the fatter tires, bigger motor and 6 speed tranny are more sought after. it's just like anything you buy...people want the latest and greatest, not the "old model".

plus you have to think about resale, it would be easier and more profitable to sell the 07 down the road.
just my opinion.

Last edited by roysays; 05-13-2009 at 06:36 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 PM
Red9
Road Captain

I have the 07 obviously and I would go with the newer bike.

Forget the fact the pipes on the 07 have been upgraded, saddlebags already added, the light bar and detachable fairing and you can have it for the same money...if you can. I know I couldn't. (probably around $2,000 + right there.)

Don't forget it has the larger engine, the fantastic looking rear tire (I get comments on this often. It is called a 'Fatboy' afterall), the fatter better looking rear fender, upgraded 6-speed tranny which I love running down the road at speeds over 70mph.

The only negative on the 07 is the damn stripe. You can get new tins for less than the cost of the accessories not on the 06.

Now as for the 'metric' look of the '07...hmmmm. I like the yellow on the '06 but if that isn't a metric colour, I don't know my Honda's.

Just my opinon. Buy what you want but don't forget, the 07 is going to be the more desirable bike when it's time to unload it.

Last edited by Red9; 05-13-2009 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:57 PM
wildman67
Extreme HDF Member

I would get the yellow 06! but I am biased

Old 05-13-2009, 06:58 PM
crazybastid83
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get the 06 Fatboy, the 150 tire looks a hell of a lot better than the 200. I have an 06 springer with an 88, 5 speed and 150 tire. I also have an 09 springer 96, 6 speed and a 200 tire. I love the 06 hands down over the 09.

Old 05-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by crazybastid83
Get the 06 Fatboy, the 150 tire looks a hell of a lot better than the 200. I have an 06 springer with an 88, 5 speed and 150 tire. I also have an 09 springer 96, 6 speed and a 200 tire. I love the 06 hands down over the 09.
Amen.

Quick Reply: 06 vs 07 Fatboy...I'm in a dilemma