Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I Am Totally Lost

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 09:32 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

dealer here has done a bunch and even told me that. I even called rush and tech said not to go over 2" and it would be ok, might get a little popping. but they sound great..and this was 2yrs ago and it still goes...

Old 05-11-2009, 09:36 PM
chordstrummer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On my second EFI HD, and one of the first things I did to both of them was change the exhaust only (added A/C and tuner later). Both ran fine with just the pipes -- no adverse effects whatsoever.

Old 05-11-2009, 10:01 PM
PirateRider
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Thanks guys!!! Gonna get the pipes when themoney is there. May also go the Xied route to richen it up a little and cool it off.

THANKS!!

Old 05-12-2009, 07:45 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

my first mod was 330 ohm resistors in the 02 connector to richen the engine and get rid of the heat. second mod was rush slipons and high flow breather. i ran like that a year before fuel management

Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 AM
jasperpso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark g
Harley Corperate claims a full stage 1 can be done to any 07 or newer efi Harley with no modifications! if your dealer tells you otherwise, they are lieing or just don't know any better.
although i agree this guy should be fine with just the slip-ons.. however if you do a full stage 1, then you definitely need a remap or EFI tuner.. says so right in the HD motor accessories catalog in the screaming eagle air cleaner kit description.

personally,my approach would to mod the stock mufflers to be a little louder, and save money for a full stage 1, you will gain a ton of power.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:06 AM
Mark g
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by jasperpso
although i agree this guy should be fine with just the slip-ons.. however if you do a full stage 1, then you definitely need a remap or EFI tuner.. says so right in the HD motor accessories catalog in the screaming eagle air cleaner kit description.

personally,my approach would to mod the stock mufflers to be a little louder, and save money for a full stage 1, you will gain a ton of power.

I wonder why Bill Davidson would make such a claim then? I'd believe one of the companies CEO's over a catolog that is designed to sell me stuff.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:15 AM
jasperpso
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mark g
I wonder why Bill Davidson would make such a claim then? I'd believe one of the companies CEO's over a catolog that is designed to sell me stuff.
i respectfully disagree.. when everyone agrees that the engines come tuned on the lean side from the factory, how could anyone think that increasing airflow, isnt gonna make it run even leaner.. will it cause a problem in 1 or 2 thousand miles, maybe not.. but for my 20k investment, i will go with what HD nsays in print, not a quote from a man who probably replaces his bike every other day..

my dad always told me not to believe anything you hear, and only half of what you see. usually works for me.

ps - that link pointed to a write up on the 2007 custom written by a magazine.. the part about the fuel injection reads like a comment by the author, not a direct quote of mr davidson.. just my opinion

Last edited by jasperpso; 05-12-2009 at 08:22 AM.
Old 05-12-2009, 08:47 AM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm runnin V&H pipes and K&N filter on stock program. It runs just fine.

Old 05-12-2009, 08:54 AM
Grizzbare
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IronGypsy
Ya lost me here... added what?
Xied's are a resistor that clips in the ox sensor to send the signal to the brain that it is running at factory lean when it is running richer go to nightrider.com lots of write ups here as well if you search. It is a simple low cost install.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:14 AM
JimiB
Advanced

Here ya go. I have posted this before and obviously no one has read it through. I found this article on the Nighrider web site. It is good advice and makes perfect sense:

Do I need to remap my ECM when installing exhaust and air cleaner upgrades to my 07 and later Harley?
NO, you do not have to do anything. You can put the mufflers/air cleaner upgrades and ride the bike without having to worry about the engine

The simple truth is the 07 and later HD's will run just fine with exhaust/air cleaner upgrades and you do not have to do anything to the ECM at all. Closed loop EFI operation uses feedback from the O2 sensor to maintain a constant AFR, even if changes are made to the exhaust and air cleaner.

The amount of information about what has to be done '07 and later Harley when installing exhaust/air cleaner upgrades has been the subject of FUD (Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt). Riders, Dealerships, Parts Suppliers and Aftermarket Shops have presented old-wives tales, bad technical information, mis-information and in some cases, just plain flat lied about the capabilities of the Delphi closed loop ECMs on these bikes.

Most people hold on to their old ideas about what was required for the early EFI ECM's. Shops and Dealerships never bothered to learn new the new technology. Marketing information did nothing to dispel the differences between the old and new bikes. Sales staff did not know the difference or mis-represented what was required on the new bikes.

There is more independent proof that you do not need to remap the HD EFI when installing mufflers. The March 2009 (page 66) CycleWorld dyno tested a set of slip-on mufflers on an '09 FLH, getting 5% more HP and 9% more torque on a "bone-stock, including EFI mapping" bike. Cycle World is not known as a big Harley cheerleader, so it would be a reasonable assumption that they are not going to do any special favors for MOCO.

Th CW information is right in line with what HD published in the Fall 2006 Enthusiast Magazine showing a 3% HP and 7% torque increase with slightly more restrictive mufflers and air cleaner kit. American Iron Magazine has also published similar articles about "no remap" upgrades involving exhaust/air cleaner changes.

How much information has to be presented to Harley Riders that remapping of the ECM is not required for exhaust/air cleaner upgrades for closed loop bikes? When it can be shown that much of the "gain" in power for bikes remapped with expensive tuning software and piggyback controllers would have occurred without spending $400-$1000, riders need to start thinking about what they are really trying to accomplish on their bikes rather than blindly following the "you must remap just to add exhaust/ac" advice that has been discredited.

Quick Reply: I Am Totally Lost