Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can someone tell me info on lowering fatboy?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2009, 08:19 PM
neurostudy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can someone tell me info on lowering fatboy?

All....its been a while but just got a new toy. 1998 fatboy. I want to lower it. Can anyone help me find info? thought about an ebay kit for $100. but could really use some guidance. thanks to you all...glad to be back.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:40 PM
57RebelRocker
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

majority of the time when someone lowers their bike the ride becomes stiffer if you're just buying the cheap lowering kits that are available....I lowered my rocker 2" using a cheaper one and am currently waiting for the arrival of a set of Progressive 422's because it was too stiff for my liking....ultimately the best way to go would be to use an air shock...much spendier but great ride...ARNOTT makes a good set but as I said spendy....here's a link to Progressive shocks they make some good ones also
http://www.progressivesuspension.com/productline.html

Old 05-10-2009, 08:45 PM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default lowering

I was wondering how my 2007 fatty would handle if i lowered it 2" front and back.
I really do not want a harsh ride, more for the look. I suppose there is a sacrifice doing the lowering.

mgm

Old 05-10-2009, 08:53 PM
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I lowered my ride 2" front and back. when riding 2-up, ride gets a little crazy around some corners. There's alot of footboard scrapen goen on. It could get a little dangerous. You just got to corner slower. But when riding solo ride is just fine. i got bolts in rear and arlen ness dampners up front.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:59 PM
EffTwoFiddy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mgmmgm
I was wondering how my 2007 fatty would handle if i lowered it 2" front and back.
I really do not want a harsh ride, more for the look. I suppose there is a sacrifice doing the lowering.

mgm
I used the Burnout Cycles kit from J&P ($100) for the rear, lowered 2". It rode like a hardtail until I adjusted the preload. Still stiffer than stock, there's no way around that, but it rides much better. Between the improved looks and any handling improvement I get from being lowered, the stiffer ride is worth it.

I have the Progressive kit for the front, haven't installed it yet, so I can't comment on that yet. But I haven't experienced any handling issued with just the rear lowered.

Adjust preload: http://www.fatbillscustoms.com/preload%20shocks.htm

Before:

After:

Old 05-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have Progressive shocks in the rear and drop-in springs in the ft lowered 2" ft and rear and I think it handles better but the ride suffers. I tightened the springs up and it's better just stiffer. I love it. I would like to have air ride but too pricey for me right now.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 PM
sportyguy69
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Had a 01 FXST lowering kit in the back, rode like a rigid fram, front end hit the bumps a lot harder. Bike scrapped when cornering, exhaust dragged worse thing I ever did to the bike. Looked Kool, but rode terrible. Make sure lowering it is what you wanna do, me personally I will never do it again.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:30 PM
JY Kelly
Supporter
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Lowered my NT 2" in the rear with HD shocks and AN bolts. The ride is stiffer (gotta adjust the pre-load), but looks-wise and handling-wise, it's great.

Before and after:

Attached Thumbnails can someone tell me info on lowering fatboy?-dsc02500.jpg   can someone tell me info on lowering fatboy?-0409-003.jpg  
Old 05-10-2009, 10:23 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

son went 1" on his new NT with just bolt kit, ended up about 1 1/2 but it is firmer...

Old 05-10-2009, 10:32 PM
VTwin-Goodies
Sponsor
Received 1,949 Likes on 1,933 Posts

The lower you go, the more parts drag. I got an air ride and find that it suits my needs well. I have not yet lowered my front forks, but have the kit to do it. I am not sure if it is really necessary. If you want a set of lowering springs cheap send me a PM.

Quick Reply: can someone tell me info on lowering fatboy?