Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

04 FatBoy - Frustrated...

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
heavypic
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default 04 FatBoy - Frustrated...

Hey Gang,

I wrote before regarding my bike last year but did not get the replies I hoped for so I'll try again. I have an 04 Fat Boy bought new with the following mods done by the dealer before taking delivery: 95ci kit, 250 mid-range cam, SE Racing Module; heavy duty valve springs, HD endorsed Mikuni carb, SE airkit, V&H BigShot staggered pipes. Cost me over 22K.

The bike has been parked in my garage since about June-July of 08...I lost most of the 08 riding season. A problem started at about 15-16K which sounded like a preignition rattling noise coming from the vicinity of the front of the primary cover. This would happen intermittently. But by about 18K miles, the problem progressed to the point where after about 15 miles of driving, it would make a sickening, gut-wrenching noise like dry metal grinding that isn't getting oil/lube. The noise is so bad you are compelled to turn off the bike immediately.

Brought the bike to my "dealer" several times....they had it for a whole week and replaced the ICM (and supposedly tightened something in the primary case) after about 2 short rides the problem returned...they then recommended changing the intake manifold sensor...that didn't work....and then recommended replacing the crank position sensor...that didn't work...the last two fixes they recommended I did myself per the manual. The shop said their recommendations are based on the 'codes' they saw when they first had my bike for the problem.

I have lost all confidence in this dealership to fix this problem. They didn't even have the courtesy to offer to buy back the parts I bought as a result of their misdiagnosis.

I have since spoken with a certified car mechanic...he is also a long-time HD guy with a good reputation for HD bike repairs. Based on a phone call I had with him, he said the problem could be the bolt securing the primary drive front sproket (2-piece sprocket) may be coming loose. He said he encountered this problem with several HDs and recommended torquing the bolt to 200 ft/lbs. He said HD will not allow their mechanics to torque this bolt to 200 ft/lbs...this was confirmed by another dealer's mechanic I know who said torque to 165 and use alot of lock-tite. Unfortunately, the first guy is not available much to work on my bike.

Did/does anyone else have this problem? I live about an hour north of Philadelphia and would like a recommendation for a competent, non-dealer, Harley mechanic who can actually fix a bike and not just talk about "codes"....afterall the codes are only as good as the guy who programmed them! $22K for 18K miles...that's a shameful disgrace from such a proud, boastful company!!...pathetic dollar/mile value ratio from the big HD...and an equally pathetic dealership!!!!

So... I'm challenging forum members (and HD reps if they actually read this forum) to pony up with some advice....other than, "Gee isn't it time for a new bike??!!" Now we get to see if there's more to these bikes (and HD) than just cosmetic aftermarket add-ons, flames, chrome, your money, and a short hopper B-to-B scooter (LOL) to impress your bar mates. I would love to be able to go 1-2000 miles without some part defecting or some little nuisance repair. I would love to be able to count on my bike to take a real trip. My new dealer catch phase is "Oh, so you want to go the next 1,000 miles???.....that'll be another $500 please!!!! ....and this is a bike design that's over 100 years in development...that's not evolution...that's de-evolution!!!

This bike was great when it ran....I loved it...but right now my Schwinn is more reliable!! I'd like to get back to riding but I need a reliable bike I can count on...or a trailer to haul my Fat Boy's fat a$$ around!!

Totally frustrated and disappointed in the big, bad HD...!!

Old 05-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Find the best local indy shop in your area. The very best motor build guys.

Take them the bike. They will find your issue.

Old 05-07-2009, 04:31 PM
coop57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear of your troubles.
I have the same year FB.
I get a strange noise once in a while at low idle toward the front of my motor and was told it is the sound of the counterbalance spinning. Could that be what you are hearing?
I've got 30k on mine runs fine. Hope you find a competent wrench.

Last edited by coop57; 05-22-2009 at 07:03 AM.
Old 05-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have to say you seem to be taking it out on everyone but the dealer. My thought would be to call the Harley cust. service and have them put you in touch with a better dealer or like what has already been said a indy that is in your area. If you have waited this long why not give the bike to your friend that is a H-D tech and let him fix it. So what if it takes him a month to do it, hey it's been a long time since you've riden it. Just my thought. Without hearing it I wouldn't venture a guess and I do this for a living

Old 05-07-2009, 07:57 PM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Has the alternator ever been replaced? The sound you are describing could be a loose compensator nut. It grinds like crazy, doesn't leave a mark on the cover and can be intermittent.

Old 05-08-2009, 09:04 AM
heavypic
Tourer

Thanks for the replies... I'll check out the counterbalance and alternator/compensator nut.

I'd prefer a good Indy mechanic over dealerships...always have for autos. But I'm leary of just picking one from the phone book...a little word of mouth recommendation goes along way with Indy's as well. The mechanic I received bike advice from was recommended by my auto mechanic who is top shelf (and a long-time friend). I recently left another message for this bike mechanic...no reply yet...I've only had one good conversation with him and that was last year when the problem came to a head.

Any more advice regarding my problem, or a recommendation for a local Indy HD wrench (1 hr north of Philadelphia / Bucks or Montgomery County) is sincerely appreciated... I'm just surprised there are no Indy recommendations in my area??? (per my post last Fall). I'll go search my post from last Fall and the replies....

Once the problem is known, I'll be sure to post details for the possible benefit of FB owners.

Regards

Old 05-08-2009, 11:06 AM
Shakeydeal
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From your post it sounds as if you had to buy all the parts for the "fixes". If it was under warranty, why weren't these parts covered?

Shakey

Old 05-08-2009, 04:59 PM
heavypic
Tourer

Thanks for the replies...

I will follow-up with the suggestions in your replies. To answer the last question, I had a 4-year warranty (Dec 03 - Dec 07). This latest problem started in May 08. You know how it is...$hit starts happening after the warranty runs out! The MC knows about how far they'll go before the expensive stuff starts to go wrong...and structure their warranty terms accordingly. '04 was the first year of the factory 2-year warranty...the dealer threw in an additional 2 years free...probably because I spent enough cash for mods on a brand new bike before taking delivery.

Thanks again...
Regards

Old 05-22-2009, 05:36 AM
dbleagle
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I feel for you... just put my crossbones in the shop for what sounds like the same problem... and like you they give me a call and tell me they couldn't find anything, but went ahead and torqued the compensatior nut etc...

Of course I told them to keep the bike until they could find the problem... take it home ride cross country, I didn't much care because what I heard didn't sound good and it wasn't my imagination...

So I really don't ever expect to see my bike again... lol

Charlie D.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:31 AM
2003chromefatboy
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 03 had the same rumble, clank, sounds like the engine will blow up any moment noise also. It was that nut on the primary (primary containment nut). It was not torqued properly during intall and had backed off. Only minor damage to the cover. If you pull the cover, it may be rather obvious. Good luck. Chris