Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negative Trail and Horrible Stability

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 06:47 PM
MCSarge
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 448 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Not for nothing and I am just trying to help you only. I can see the bike does not have a negative trail. I build suspension. Use my rake and trail calculator which is an Application. Measure all correctly and use if you wish.
I've got to agree with FastHarley, I printed the picture and drew some lines and this bike definitely has some extensive positive trail. Put some tape on the ground so you can see your marks clearly and measure it again. Make sure the bike is standing upright when you make your measurements and not on the side stand. Let us know what you come up with.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

Just wondering how someone can come up with an increase in trail over the stock setup by installing raked trees. Raked trees decrease trail, if no other changes have been made. The OP indicates that raked trees are installed on a stock frame. If that is so, then trail is less than stock, not increased as some are saying. That is the only way the math works. Look at the pic I've attached. Makes it easy to see.

Attached Thumbnails Negative Trail and Horrible Stability-raked-trees-and-trail.jpg  
Old 05-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Sumo
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Just wondering how someone can come up with an increase in trail over the stock setup by installing raked trees.

Maybe they ran out of fingers to count with?

Old 05-09-2009, 05:47 AM
coop57
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pococj
Just wondering how someone can come up with an increase in trail over the stock setup by installing raked trees. Raked trees decrease trail, if no other changes have been made. The OP indicates that raked trees are installed on a stock frame. If that is so, then trail is less than stock, not increased as some are saying. That is the only way the math works. Look at the pic I've attached. Makes it easy to see.
I think they are all trying to say it has no trail at all even worse then illustration B. Great illustration Pococ a picture is worth a thou....