Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Train Owners. I need Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2009, 09:03 PM
z edge
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Night Train Owners. I need Help!!!!

I bought a rear Night Train wheel off of e-bay for my 2007 Softail Standard. The owner said it was from a 2007 but it is different from my standard wheel. It's a 17x6 wheel for a 200 tire. As you can see in the pictures, the pulley mount is about a 1/2 inch longer on the Night Train wheel. Can some of the Night Train owners compare the picture to your wheel and tell me what year the wheel might be from? Once I find out I'll put it back on ebay and try to find another one.

Night Train Wheel: You can see the extended flat area on the pulley mount compared to Standard wheel

Standard Wheel:

I found this out after I put probably 20 hours in sanding and polishing the outer rim then paid $20 to have the tire taken off the Standard wheel and mounted on the Night Train wheel. Then another $20 for the dealer to balance it.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:13 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Nighttrain hubs are smaller than standards. My friend was having the same problem. He actually has a rear 18" 60 spoke DNA rim for sale. They say it will fit a 06-07 standard. Let me know if your interested.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:21 AM
Chazmanian
R.I.P. BROTHER
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks to be its a late model 07-08 Night Train wheel that will bolt right up on your bike with the correct spacers.

Key word here is " Correct Spacers".

You have a 2007 Softail standard? Your pulley should mount right up. Offer yer' local dealer an hour labor to space and properly mount the wheel.

I have never heard of the standard and the nighttrain using different pulleys.

Last edited by Chazmanian; 05-04-2009 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-04-2009, 07:26 AM
DaddyKnuck
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,664 Likes on 946 Posts

Originally Posted by chrome-dome-dave
Nighttrain hubs are smaller than standards. My friend was having the same problem. He actually has a rear 18" 60 spoke DNA rim for sale. They say it will fit a 06-07 standard. Let me know if your interested.
I'm hoping that applies only to the "big wheel" new models. I put the standard wheel on my '03 in the picture and never gave a thought to whther they were the same or not.

I really liked the days when parts books showed fitment as " 1936 to Present."

Old 05-04-2009, 08:25 AM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master

Yea I tried to put my standard wheel off of a 06 on a 07 train and theres no way to mount even with smaller spacers the caliper mount wouldnt even slide in there let alone be able to get spacers in there. I dont know why they would change them but they did.

Old 05-04-2009, 10:38 AM
z edge
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Chazmanian
Looks to be its a late model 07-08 Night Train wheel that will bolt right up on your bike with the correct spacers.

Key word here is " Correct Spacers".

You have a 2007 Softail standard? Your pulley should mount right up. Offer yer' local dealer an hour labor to space and properly mount the wheel.

I have never heard of the standard and the nighttrain using different pulleys.

The pulley mounts to the wheel fine. It's once the pulley and rotor are mounted to the wheel, the wheel won't fit into the swingarm. The side of the wheel where the pulley mounts is longer than the standard wheel.

Thanks for the replys.

So do all Nightrains have different swingarms that the standard? I assumed if both had the 200 rear tire, the swingarms would be the same. Spacers won't help this situation at all.

Old 05-04-2009, 11:24 AM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by z edge
I bought a rear Night Train wheel off of e-bay for my 2007 Softail Standard. The owner said it was from a 2007 but it is different from my standard wheel. It's a 17x6 wheel for a 200 tire. As you can see in the pictures, the pulley mount is about a 1/2 inch longer on the Night Train wheel. Can some of the Night Train owners compare the picture to your wheel and tell me what year the wheel might be from? Once I find out I'll put it back on ebay and try to find another one.

Night Train Wheel: You can see the extended flat area on the pulley mount compared to Standard wheel

Standard Wheel:

I found this out after I put probably 20 hours in sanding and polishing the outer rim then paid $20 to have the tire taken off the Standard wheel and mounted on the Night Train wheel. Then another $20 for the dealer to balance it.

just went out and looked at mine its an 07 and that first pic you posted with the nt wheel is the brake rotor side.............the pulley goes on the other side

Old 05-04-2009, 12:18 PM
chrome-dome-dave
Road Master

Dude im telling you the hub size on a train is smaller than on a standard. No matter what spacers its not going to work. The swingarms are the same. I have a 60 spoke, 18x5.5 brand new sitting in my garage for a 06-07 standard for sale let me know. Been there and done this with the wheel thing. My roomate just got screwed for 400 bucks because they said they were the same and they arent.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:01 PM
z edge
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DyNaBoB
just went out and looked at mine its an 07 and that first pic you posted with the nt wheel is the brake rotor side.............the pulley goes on the other side
I thought of that last night and compared both sides to the Standard wheel. The side in the picture is longer than the Standard wheel. I mounted the brake and pulley on the Night Train wheel with no problems. But then it wouldn't fit between the swingarm. The picture of the Standard wheel is for the pulley. Is this what your Nightrain looks like?

Originally Posted by chrome-dome-dave
Dude im telling you the hub size on a train is smaller than on a standard. No matter what spacers its not going to work. The swingarms are the same. I have a 60 spoke, 18x5.5 brand new sitting in my garage for a 06-07 standard for sale let me know. Been there and done this with the wheel thing. My roomate just got screwed for 400 bucks because they said they were the same and they arent.
When you say the hub size is smaller, what do you mean? When the pulley and rotor are mounted to the Night Train wheel, it's too wide to roll into the swingarm. The pulley hits on one side and rotor hits on the other. Thanks for the offer on the 60 spoke but I'm not ready to buy a new tire at this point.

Thanks for the replys.

Old 05-04-2009, 01:16 PM
DyNaBoB
Elite HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes i have a 07 night train wheel that i took off cuz i got new wheels the brake rotor is on the side you show in your pic...........the pulley side looks like the other pic...........i can take a pic later....the camera is in the wifes car

Quick Reply: Night Train Owners. I need Help!!!!