Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield for my 07 Softail Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 01:45 AM
jjarbou
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought and installed the low profile smoked winsdshield (57141-05) for my 07 softail deluxe, it's not what I expected from a windshield, I'm getting a lot of buffeting and it gives me a headache, yesterday I was on the highway and it was very uncomfortable, the wind coming up was so bad that my t-shirt flew up under my arms even with a rider backrest on my bike, this never happened to me before I bought the windshield. It is also very hard to attach and detach the windshield from the bike, it's a very tight fit, I have to bend and force it in, the rubber bushings are peeling and I already have a slit in one just by attaching and detaching the windshield twice, is this normal with this model bike and windshield?

Old 06-14-2009, 05:46 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Our windshields go off and on w/ no problem. Slide mounts into grommet groove, couple taps on front of windshield and goes right on. The fit is snug but not overly so.

Can't imagine why your grommet would be damaged already. I'd double check the install instructions and make sure the washer and grommets are installed right. Should be one washer between the mounting plate and grommet.

Wife reports no buffeting problems with her Deluxe. She rode the bike for 4 months w/o a shield and would never go back.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:55 AM
texas-buzzard
Advanced

Windscreens are a give-take thing with me. I installed a low profile on my 09 fxstc because when it rains i would rather look over it than thru it. But like you i get alot of buffeting at highway speeds. it provides protection from the flying animals that i normally eat but i miss the constant wind that i get when it is not installed. So right now i have it off and don't know if it will be installed.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:20 AM
jjarbou
Intermediate

Do you have the lightly smoked low profile windshield on the wifes bike, or is it the clear standard height?

Originally Posted by jimmers1817
Our windshields go off and on w/ no problem. Slide mounts into grommet groove, couple taps on front of windshield and goes right on. The fit is snug but not overly so.

Can't imagine why your grommet would be damaged already. I'd double check the install instructions and make sure the washer and grommets are installed right. Should be one washer between the mounting plate and grommet.

Wife reports no buffeting problems with her Deluxe. She rode the bike for 4 months w/o a shield and would never go back.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:50 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jjarbou
Do you have the lightly smoked low profile windshield on the wifes bike, or is it the clear standard height?
It's the low profile smoked. And she's 5'6". Actually if you go by the tip/bridge of nose school of thought, her shield is about an inch or or so low. But she likes it that way. I have the standard on my Heritage and cut about 3/4" off it because the top edge was in my line of sight. Perfect now.

Old 06-14-2009, 12:13 PM
pearlwhite
Cruiser

My 07 Heritage (which I bought used) had the standard size and I bought the low profile plastice and removed the braces from the standard and applied them to the new low profile. I am 5'11" and I could not get use to looking through the windshield as I felt it was restrictive and somewhat distorted. I really prefer looking over the windshield. The buffeting is cured by using wind deflectors (lowers). I can run at 70 mph with very little buffeting. I wear either a 3/4 open face or a half helmet and the ride is the same.

Old 06-14-2009, 05:16 PM
ElSupremo
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want a standard height clear one, I'd be willing to trade you.

Old 06-14-2009, 08:54 PM
utz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I rode today with the standered height on my first pretty long ride with it on and I look through it I got used to it pretty quick I did about 320 miles and I was fine not much fatigue at all it is definetelly worth the money.I may look into the low profile one because we hit some rain and I couldn't see much.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:02 AM
jjarbou
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ElSupremo
If you want a standard height clear one, I'd be willing to trade you.
Thanks, but I don't think I would like looking through the standard height windshield, I think I'm gonna get the chrome wind deflectors or maybe I'll try to fix the problem with a windshield bag before I buy the deflectors.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:11 AM
jjarbou
Intermediate

Does anyone know if a windshield bag will help stop the buffeting? I hope this works, cause I kinda like the one for the deluxe anyway, and I don't want to buy the wind deflectors if the bag will work, but if the bag doesn't help I guess I'll have to buy the lowers like the one guy mentioned.

Quick Reply: Windshield for my 07 Softail Deluxe